C61K vs. RVU

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a samsung 8550. In mine the RVU Sucked. I went with the C61K, but when I installed the new evolution kit which has the new quad core processor in it there was a dramatic improvement. With that said, if your going to run any type of external audio to any AVR with Dolby Atmos or DTS X, you are going to want to get a C61K. No Samsung TV can pass 7.1 audio, let alone the new generation standards, that I am aware of and the TV's decode then re encode back into DD 5.1. Keep that in mind if you are going to use an AVR or not.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

That kinda matches what I've read in 3 cases now, the 2016 sets with quad core processors do the RVU pretty well. The older sets with single/dual core do not.
I appreciate your thoughts on the sound, it is a good point. I will likely begin with the Tv speakers and at most will end with a sound bar.
I never truly appreciated 5.1 or 7.1 surround when I had it setup and have worked to simplify. When we moved recently I sold a 7.1 Onkyo set that was nice but just too big and cumbersome for my liking.

I normally wouldn't cross-post the same thing in two threads, but I think with this thread being RVU there is a benefit to having this post in it for future readers:

I also had a 4k upgrade today as part of my movers deal. I was upgraded to a new dish with the RB LNB, HR54, and had them install two Samsung KS8000 2016 4k RVU TVs.
The first thing the installer did was discuss changing to client C61k instead of using RVU. I shared that I had read/discussed with 3 people using the 2016 Samsung on RVU and they are satisfied. In fact one has a RVU and a C61k and said they are almost the same but the RVU being slightly faster (which is hard to believe).

I'm happy to report that I am impressed and quite satisfied with the RVU setup. The interface response is adequate and comparable to the client box (slightly slower than the genie). Like the client boxes the UI seems to be standard def graphics. The channel changing and starting of playback is comparable to a client and starts most things in 2-3 seconds. Slower than the Genie but functional.

I like that with it integrated into the TV everything is native resolution without really delaying for the receiver/TV to change resolutions. It seems to flow between resolution changes (including 4k) pretty well.

The RC73 remote works well and operates just like on the client/genie.

I am glad I went with the RVU setup, it is smooth and no client box. So far it operates just as well as my C51 did.

I received a HR54 upgrade, free HBO/Max for 3 months, and free Sunday Ticket Max for 2016 as part of a mover's deal as we bought a new home and moved recently. They did offer C61k boxes for free, but I really wanted to try the RVU on these new TVs and they did not have an option to do that install for free. They did give me one free, so I paid $49 for the two RVU installs. The RVU install is essentially connecting a broadband DECA to the wired ethernet port on the TV and activating it as a client box. I could have done this myself, but many customers could not, and I understand why they require installation for RVU.

I did watch a replay of the Olympic basketball game from yesterday for a few minutes and the picture was spectacular. I feel like it is 2006 again and I'm anxiously awaiting the launch of additional HD channels, but now 4K. I would imagine that ESPN and HBO may be some leaders in this, but haven't ready anything about them moving into live 4k broadcast. Lastly I would share that 4k is working with my Xtra package, and I hope it stays this way as I have no interest in Ultimate and would likely end up going back and forth when there is live 4k programming I want to watch. Requiring Ultimate is a ridiculous requirement and I hope DirecTV reconsiders this decision.

You do realize the genie is only authorized for additional locations. It does not care if you have a 4K client or an RVU Tv.

So get the 4K client and you should be able to choose between the client or RVU.

IF you get a client and decide to go the RVU route, then just put the 4K client away

Really? I did not know that!

So I can go into my living room where I rarely watch TV and unplug the C61K and then go on my 4K TV in the bedroom and pair it for RVU?

Very interesting!

I've been really impressed with the new Samsung 4k set and how it handles the RVU. It is working better than my C51 did before the upgrade, no lag in the UI and channel changes similar to the Genie itself.
I didn't get any C61k units (turned out it was removed from the work order but still showed on my screen, but I wasn't concerned about it). Think I'm better off not paying the extra $7/mo at this point.

They did require the MAC addresses of the TVs, just like they ask for the serial number (and/or MAC address) when activating a client.
I'm not sure if that is just used for activation and then you can use pretty much any client - or if it is used to authorize that particular client.

Later this week one of my TVs is being replaced due to a scratch on it right out of the box. When that happens I guess I'll find out for sure, if it "just works" or if I have to call to change the MAC address.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
You still pay the same $7 permonth whether it's a C61K or an RVU TV.

You do realize the genie is only authorized for additional locations. It does not care if you have a 4K client or an RVU Tv.

So get the 4K client and you should be able to choose between the client or RVU.

IF you get a client and decide to go the RVU route, then just put the 4K client away

could have sworn i read they need a MAC address of a tv for an rvu

could have sworn i read they need a MAC address of a tv for an rvu

They do require it, in fact we had a hard time finding the MAC address on the Samsung sets I bought.

For reference, Samsung sets have the MAC address on the "Contact Samsung" screen on the Support menu :)

So you just hook the coax into the TV set and RVU will work? I'll have to try that. Audio dropout bug on the C61K can get annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

So you just hook the coax into the TV set and RVU will work? I'll have to try that. Audio dropout bug on the C61K can get annoying.

At the very least you would need a DECA connecting the coax to the TV's ethernet port, you wouldn't connect the coax to the TV's coax, that is for OTA and some cable only. Whether it would need to be activated or just will work in place of the C61k that is what we're debating so to speak.

They only need the MAC to activate the client or RVU.

Once it's authorized you can switch minis or RVU out without calling in.

I just swapped a 4K client yesterday for a wireless client and video bridge with no phone call.

Claude is right, after entering the PIN from the Genie there is an option to "replace location" which basically changes the client in use at the Genie.

It is simple and good for equipment changes, but I wouldn't want to use it on a regular basis to save a $7/mo fee, as it was still a 10 minute process or so and required going to the Genie to get the PIN.

I did call DirecTV and have them update the MAC address on my replacement TV after the fact, just in case it ever mattered some time in the future.

I moved from the C61K down stairs to my Samsung RVU on my 2015 4K Set...

The antenna jack is hooked to my outdoor antenna, so DIRECTV is only fed through the Gigabit ethernet. Its not fast enough for 4K and it does work (although stutters sometimes) for HD and SD channels... but the guide and control is SO slow!

I think I will be switching back to the C61K. :)

The 2015 RVU TVs are very slow but the 2016 models seem to be much faster

The RVU function on Samsung TV's is terrible (at least on mine). I switched to a C61K and it is much better, although I wish I could use my HR54 for 4K.

I read many posts on this topic as I just had to RVU 2016 sets installed. As far as Samsung the 2015 and prior sets are underpowered for RVU and will not be an enjoyable experience compared to a C61k.
The 2016 set went to a faster processor and some that have both have indicated the RVU is faster on the 2016 set. I found it very comparable to my C51 that I retired. I haven't used a C61k.

The 2016 Samsung RVU seems to be very comparable to the clint box and I've been very satisfied with my sets over the first week of use.

How is PQ on the 4k RVU? I tried RVU on my Samsung 1080p 2012 model and I didn't like the PQ. I'm not sure if it had something with Ethernet vs HDMI but I think the PQ is better using HDMI. I think if I ever did upgrade to 4k I would go with the client box unless they did a Genie that outputted to 4k using HDMI.

I found no depreciation on picture quality on two 2016 Samsung RVU sets. It is comparable to other source inputs including OTA except in things like fast motion which is more related to satellite bandwidth.
The new sets seem much improved for RVU.

I like to use the native resolution setting (the only option for RVU as you cannot change resolution), and found channel changes to be faster on RVU than a client box using native.

Yes, many people have commented the 2016 RVU sets are pretty good.

4K will not be flopping like 3D did -- probably has something to do with having to wear something on your head and/or that sea-sick feeling a lot of folks experience. That's purely a 3D phenomenon, not an increased pixel density phenomenon :).

Well, that's why I happen to think people can be BIG BABIES. What's the big deal about wearing the glasses? People wear eye-glasses all the time with no complaints! And you are only wearing them for a single 2 or 3 hour movie. It's not like you'd wear them all the time. And as for people getting sick, well as you use 3D more, you happen to get use to it (for most anyways). Life is 3D. I don't see people complaining about real life being 3D! And what's wrong with making something that you are watching look more real? And if you only watch 3D in the theater, well (to me, anyways) the 3D is MUCH BETTER on a good 3D TV.

Well, that's why I happen to think people can be BIG BABIES. What's the big deal about wearing the glasses? People wear eye-glasses all the time with no complaints! And you are only wearing them for a single 2 or 3 hour movie. It's not like you'd wear them all the time. And as for people getting sick, well as you use 3D more, you happen to get use to it (for most anyways). Life is 3D. I don't see people complaining about real life being 3D! And what's wrong with making something that you are watching look more real? And if you only watch 3D in the theater, well (to me, anyways) the 3D is MUCH BETTER on a good 3D TV.
In response, some folks had issues with certain DLP sets in seeing rainbows. Also, a far greater percentage of folks do get some semblance of sickness when watching three-dimensional images by way of glasses.

Also, the 3D that is displayed via screen is simply not the same as the three dimensions seen in real life, and I'd wager that's why most people don't have issues in dealing with real life.

And even if none of the above is enough to reasonably describe more fully my position, the fact that you'd have to have a separate device that has to hug your face in order to properly see such a show on a display is simply not something that folks of a certain age are willing to do. It's like having to deal with yet another remote control. Besides, Google Glass (a similar wearable) is already actually banned in some establishments because of its similarly obvious intrusiveness in human communication.

3D? Only for exceptionally specialized applications. I'd be betting more on HDR and 4K for actual realism at this point.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)