Cable blackouts of “free” TV channels won’t be stopped by FCC

lazydogmot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
N/E Florida
FCC won't expand oversight of contract disputes that cause TV blackouts.

The Federal Communications Commission has decided not to step up its oversight of contract disputes that sometimes take free, over-the-air channels off cable systems.

Broadcast stations can demand carriage fees from cable TV operators even if the channels are otherwise available for free to consumers with an antenna. When cable TV companies and broadcasters don't agree on a price, customers are sometimes deprived of channels.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...s-of-free-tv-channels-wont-be-stopped-by-fcc/

Now with the FCC walking away.....I will bet that the disputes will now start to double, due to know on giving a sht...and we will get the short end of the stick, and continue to pay more.....
I am not surprised.....Deregulation did the same thing to us.....

The cable industry is anything but deregulated. lol

This whole problem has been caused by the Congress and FCC. Note that Dish is required to carry local shopping channels like QVC and HSN for free. The FCC has been controlled by the National Association of Broadcasters for years.

Reactions: Rolling Joe
Deregulation?? When, where. That isn't what is going on. The FCC is just not taking any additional measures beyond what already exist and it says that right below the title.
At least not officially. But they are talking to both sides and asked for some specific information.

And yes we are in this position because of the way things get done with who have the strongest lobby and too often not what makes the most sense.

And no, those shopping channels pay to be on TV they are not forced on anyone. There are specific rules of what constitutes a public information channel and there is a percentage or number of channels each provider must carry of those.

And no, those shopping channels pay to be on TV they are not forced on anyone. There are specific rules of what constitutes a public information channel and there is a percentage or number of channels each provider must carry of those.

I am talking about the LOCAL TV Channels that Dish is required to carry, and many of those channels carry HSN or QVC as their programming. Dish doesn't get a nickle from those local stations.

I am talking about the LOCAL TV Channels that Dish is required to carry, and many of those channels carry HSN or QVC as their programming.
Give an example. HSN, QVC, etc may be sub-channels of a few local stations but Dish is under no requirement to carry sub-channels.

Give an example. HSN, QVC, etc may be sub-channels of a few local stations but Dish is under no requirement to carry sub-channels.
You are right, they do carry HSN on subchannels. But in the Miami market there are two or three must carry local channels and the main thing they carry are paid Infomercials, not real programming. Like 12 hours a day or more of infomercials, and Dish has to carry it for free. Basically a gift to these sort of broadcasters.

You are right, they do carry HSN on subchannels. But in the Miami market there are two or three must carry local channels and the main thing they carry are paid Infomercials, not real programming. Like 12 hours a day or more of infomercials, and Dish has to carry it for free. Basically a gift to these sort of broadcasters.
It may be true in some large and diverse markets, but in my market I know of a couple low-powered shopping channels that are not subchannels. They aren't carried by Dish or Direct at all. I think it is a minuscule issue and not as big as what actual deregulation has caused.

...which is the mega-conglomerate content/channel owners and the blurring of lines between content owners and MVPDs, ie. Comcast/NBCU and ATT/DTV.

Last edited:
Why should Dish be forced to carry channels for free? The NAB paid off Congress and the FCC to get that regulation. The previous post said Dish was "deregulated".

Well, deregulation has nothing to do with this thread topic. It should be ignored. I only commented on it as it's one of my favorite soapboxes.

Truth is, the way things are heading, don't be surprised that in 20 years that TV will be the same as it is now. I bet in 20 years, internet TV will be the majority like Cable and Satellite is now, right now the cord cutters are a minority that slowly becoming the majority. And i bet in 20 years the local channels across the country shut off their TV signal for people to pick up for free and force them to have no choice but to pay for something that you can get for free.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

Reactions: reddice
But in the Miami market there are two or three must carry local channels and the main thing they carry are paid Infomercials, not real programming.
One of the local stations here is like that at times. I pay it so little attention that I don't recall which network it is, but it's either ABC or CW (or whatever they're called this year). I noticed on a weekend afternoon that they were showing "Paid programming" for hours at a time.

Infomercials air even on Cable channels overnight so no surprise. That isn't a shopping channel however like HSN that we were discussing. Especially in Florida there are some legitimate stations that do carry HSN (A Florida based company) overnight but not 12 hours or more. Then there are OTA HSN stations one is in Tampa where their company is.

In another thread, someone mentioned picking up (140) OTA stations in the Houston TX market. I actually looked that up and counted (130) channels ! One of the stations lists "QVC" and "HSN" as the network of two of their sub-channels.

So the FCC won't step in to stop these multi-million to multi-billion corporations from using the every day subscriber as bait for their baby games. However, they'll gladly step in and fine a radio or tv station for saying naughty things. "Think of the children!" Give me a break. It's time to abolish the some of the FCC's powers. Have them regulate piracy on the air waves, approve specific communicative devices for use in the U.S, and that's it. Useless mother....

Reactions: Tampa8
Living up to the promise of a "Hands-off FCC" as per this Administration from day one. What's the point of having run as a Democrat :)? Or was that "Hands-off" supporting the consumer and the access to the broadcast TV stations, according to law, we own?

So the FCC won't step in to stop these multi-million to multi-billion corporations from using the every day subscriber as bait for their baby games. However, they'll gladly step in and fine a radio or tv station for saying naughty things. "Think of the children!" Give me a break. It's time to abolish the some of the FCC's powers. Have them regulate piracy on the air waves, approve specific communicative devices for use in the U.S, and that's it. Useless mother....
No, not limit their power... Get rid of them completely. They are purposeless... I know I'll get crap for saying that, but the FCC is garbage.

No, not limit their power... Get rid of them completely. They are purposeless... I know I'll get crap for saying that, but the FCC is garbage.

I agree in many respects, however, the radio waves are limited (supposed to be) public resource. If some body doesn't regulate them, chaos would reign. There must be standards and rules as to what can broadcast in which band. Of course as it stands, today's FCC is bought and paid for to the highest bidder.

What you describe is not what the FCC does. I mean, they may do that as well, but in reality Tom Wheelers only concern is how big a check the NAB will cut him. As it stands currently, the FCC is not doing their job in the interest of the consumer. Imagine what would happen if it was an elected position with term limits. Haha. Really shake things up.

What you describe is not what the FCC does. .
Actually that is the whole function of the FCC, to regulate the airwaves.
Ever wonder why we have the NTSC/ATSC standard? Take colour TV, CBS had an electromechanical system that used a spinning disc that they petitioned the FCC to adopt as the new standard for colour in the 50's. It was incompatible with NTSC black and white, so RCA's system was adopted.
Same with satellite, prior to September 1979 you "technically" had to have a license to have a TVRO earth station and I believe at that time 4.5 meters was considered by the FCC to be the minimum antenna size. That requirement was ax'ed in '79 and you could voluntarily get a license that might protect you from interference, but not a requirement.
Today's FCC might not be doing that at the forefront, what you see, what you hear about, but that is the function of the agency.
The modern FCC is corrupt for sure and needs to work in the public interest much more than it does, however, there still needs to be regulation and order in the radio spectrum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)