Cable blackouts of “free” TV channels won’t be stopped by FCC

I agree the FCC regulations probably contribute more to the problem than help. I generally take a very laissez-faire view of these things.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. There isn't any real public interest issue in losing any one (or two) local channels via sat or cable.

Actually that is the whole function of the FCC, to regulate the airwaves.
Ever wonder why we have the NTSC/ATSC standard? Take colour TV, CBS had an electromechanical system that used a spinning disc that they petitioned the FCC to adopt as the new standard for colour in the 50's. It was incompatible with NTSC black and white, so RCA's system was adopted.
Same with satellite, prior to September 1979 you "technically" had to have a license to have a TVRO earth station and I believe at that time 4.5 meters was considered by the FCC to be the minimum antenna size. That requirement was ax'ed in '79 and you could voluntarily get a license that might protect you from interference, but not a requirement.
Today's FCC might not be doing that at the forefront, what you see, what you hear about, but that is the function of the agency.
The modern FCC is corrupt for sure and needs to work in the public interest much more than it does, however, there still needs to be regulation and order in the radio spectrum.
Let me change the way I say that so that the context makes more sense. That is not currently what the FCC is doing. They are only concerning themselves with their pocketbooks, with no regard to the consumer. I'm not saying the FCC isn't responsible for that. I am saying that today's FCC are not doing their jobs, and honestly, should be fired.

Reactions: Tampa8 and Jim S.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts