cable company sources?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

craigsharp

Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Oklahoma
Just wondering how local cable companies get their feeds? In my city, the cable company is operated by the city, which sux... but I noticed they have a HUGE satellite dish with what seems like a ton of transponders... is that where they get their feeds from? if so... what keeps ME from getting those same feeds for all the different networks that i'm having to pay for??? Anyone know what i'm talking about?

Cable companies in most cases gets the stations from C-Band satellite

You can get some channels with a 4DTV but the issue for a lot of channels is they are either in a format that consumer products can't get (DCII combo) or they are in PowerVu which is scrambled and you have to be a cable company to get the PowerVu receivers authorized

Oh, this answered a question I had earlier. Some company on Ebay was selling PowerVu (somethings) and they were like 40k each. They are obviously marketing cable companies

Most of them get their channels from Fiber Optic Networks (OC48/96 Mux) from remote uplink sites that have several dishes (antenna farm). They would also have a dish at their facilty as a back if the feed goes down (which also have reduntant/backup systems), and for receiving local data (weather, local nwes).

Status
Please reply by conversation.