Cable Coxial Conversion for AV to RCA, Component or HDMI?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
C

CrackerHD

Thread Starter
Member
Jan 11, 2010
11
0
Mississippi
First I apologize if I posted this in an incorrect forum. I choose this forum for I am a Directv subscriber. Here's my situation, my set-up and question. I have an traditional AV set-up with one exception because of an existing Hooker entertainment unit I was unable to install the side mounted speakers on my Pioneer Elite PRO-111fd plasma. Obviously this is not an issue considering the TV becomes essentially a monitor in 99% of AV set-ups. Recently I decided to purchase an indoor HDTV antenna to receive my OTA (Over the Air) channels in the event severe weather conditions knocked my satellite broadcast out so I could monitor local forecast for severe weather such as tornadoes. Problem is the antenna only has a cable coaxial connection. I haven't even looked at the rear of the Pioneer for it doesn't matter without the mounted speakers I have no audio therefore I am looking to convert the cable coax to another usable form such as RCA, component or HDMI to link into my AV receiver. Obviously I am attempting to do this as logically, reasonably affordable and with the best connection results for the money. I've looked for cable coax converters but don't seem to find any. I've considered utilizing a analog/digital set-top box but being it's use is for analog TV they all seem to have RCA outs. While that will work I wonder if there is a better solution. I've considered the thought I could buy an inexpensive VCR combo that may offer component or even HDMI if it had a DVD player but that option seems a little too much to be logical not to mention unnecessary. So my question is does anyone have a better solution or encountered this dilemma themself and found a more logical, better solution. Let me also add I also looked into using an outdoor HGTV antenna and using OTA support from the SWM but I was upgraded to a SWM16 when I upgraded to the HR34 and learned while the SWM8 has OTA support the SWM16 does not. I also understand the HR34 does not support OTA as well but the good news is the HR34 is not on this AV set-up but a different one so going a little more advanced I still could possibly diplex into and out of with an outdoor HGTV antenna but in all honesty I'm trying to keep this basic and more simplified. I'm still not certain that my HR23-700 offers OTA support either which is the receiver on the AV system I'm dealing with. I have several HR23's, several HR25's and a HR34. Thanks in advance and look forward to your replies.
 
Last edited:
Hutch1814

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 18, 2011
2,384
70
Indiana
CrackerHD said:
First I apologize if I posted this in an incorrect forum. I choose this forum for I am a Directv subscriber. Here's my situation, my set-up and question. I have an traditional AV set-up with one exception because of an existing Hooker entertainment unit I was unable to install the side mounted speakers on my Pioneer Elite PRO-111fd plasma. Obviously this is not an issue considering the TV becomes essentially a monitor in 99% of AV set-ups. Recently I decided to purchase an indoor HDTV antenna to receive my OTA (Over the Air) channels in the event severe weather conditions knocked my satellite broadcast out so I could monitor local forecast for severe weather such as tornadoes. Problem is the antenna only has a cable coaxial connection. I haven't even looked at the rear of the Pioneer for it doesn't matter without the mounted speakers I have no audio therefore I am looking to convert the cable coax to another usable form such as RCA, component or HDMI to link into my AV receiver. Obviously I am attempting to do this as logically, reasonably affordable and with the best connection results for the money. I've looked for cable coax converters but don't seem to find any. I've considered utilizing a analog/digital set-top box but being it's use is for analog TV they all seem to have RCA outs. While that will work I wonder if there is a better solution. I've considered the thought I could buy an inexpensive VCR combo that may offer component or even HDMI if it had a DVD player but that option seems a little too much to be logical not to mention unnecessary. So my question is does anyone have a better solution or encountered this dilemma themself and found a more logical, better solution. Let me also add I also looked into using an outdoor HGTV antenna and using OTA support from the SWM but I was upgraded to a SWM16 when I upgraded to the HR34 and learned while the SWM8 has OTA support the SWM16 does not. I also understand the HR34 does not support OTA as well but the good news is the HR34 is not on this AV set-up but a different one so going a little more advanced I still could possibly diplex into and out of with an outdoor HGTV antenna but in all honesty I'm trying to keep this basic and more simplified. I'm still not certain that my HR23-700 offers OTA support either which is the receiver on the AV system I'm dealing with. I have several HR23's, several HR25's and a HR34. Thanks in advance and look forward to your replies.

You need an AM21. This will convert your OTA in to you're Directv receiver.

Btw, HR25's don't exist and diplexing SWM is NOT recommended ;)
 
C

CrackerHD

Thread Starter
Member
Jan 11, 2010
11
0
Mississippi
You need an AM21. This will convert your OTA in to you're Directv receiver.

Btw, HR25's don't exist and diplexing SWM is NOT recommended ;)

I am familiar with the AM21 but does not that converter essential only allow for OTA's rather than the locals from Directv and will that affect MRV? If so that is not exactly what I am attempting to accomplish. My main object is to only access OTA's when Directv has lost it's signal. I will assign a command on my Logitech Harmony 900 to watch OTA only in the event of the loss of signal due to rain fade. I appreciate you reply and I'm not sure about the HR25 for I have several mini receivers which were brought to me to replace a defective HR23-600's which are labeled HR25-500. They look like a miniaturized version of the HR34. They are very small maybe the size of a 5-8 channel network switch.
 
Hutch1814

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 18, 2011
2,384
70
Indiana
CrackerHD said:
I am familiar with the AM21 but does not that converter essential only allow for OTA's rather than the locals from Directv and will that affect MRV? If so that is not exactly what I am attempting to accomplish. My main object is to only access OTA's when Directv has lost it's signal. I will assign a command on my Logitech Harmony 900 to watch OTA only in the event of the loss of signal due to rain fade. I appreciate you reply and I'm not sure about the HR25 for I have several mini receivers which were brought to me to replace a defective HR23-600's which are labeled HR25-500. They look like a miniaturized version of the HR34. They are very small maybe the size of a 5-8 channel network switch.

They're labeled H25. As for all the things an AM21 will do is a little out of my league. I don't have one. From my understanding they'll pick up OTA and convert them in to your Directv system but somebody here can chime in on exactly how it works
 
C

CrackerHD

Thread Starter
Member
Jan 11, 2010
11
0
Mississippi
They're labeled H25. As for all the things an AM21 will do is a little out of my league. I don't have one. From my understanding they'll pick up OTA and convert them in to your Directv system but somebody here can chime in on exactly how it works

LOL Yes, H25-500 you are correct. I'll be honest since turning 40 I have noticed a considerable difference in my nearsightedness and reading small print. Upon a second look H25-500 is what it says. I hope someone chimes in who is using an AM21. For the money I have no issue using one or a digital set-top box connect to my AV via RCA if it's the best I can do. Both would be cost effective and I could easily hide the digital set-top box and use a blaster to operate it. The AM21 is a better solution if it allows some user input as to when to use the OTA channels but if it's a connect/disconnect operation that is definitely not what I'm looking for. I suspect with most user friendly operation for the wife/kids is a serious consideration.
 
Hutch1814

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 18, 2011
2,384
70
Indiana
I really don't think it is. It's a straight plug in and run the zip code you're in. From there it should auto-load preset station in to it and they show directly on the Directv guide so you can even record them if you wanted however you'll need 1 for each receiver if you're wanting the option of viewing OTA on all your receivers. And no, they won't effect MRV at all.

Iceberg is going to prolly be the best one to talk to on this though. From what I see he uses his a lot and can tell you the ins and outs of it. My DMA has HD locals do nobody around me uses them much
 
C

CrackerHD

Thread Starter
Member
Jan 11, 2010
11
0
Mississippi
I just looked up pricing on the AM21. Roughly $60 and I didn't realize it's actually an add on stack-able component not just a small converter box. Considering my objective I likely will not be spending over $100/receiver for an AM21 & HDTV indoor antenna just for locals. My objective is for the primary TV utilized during severe storms when Directv experiences rain fade. Otherwise I am very happy with the locals Directv provides. I do wish it were easier to use an outdoor HDTV antenna that the SWM and receivers supported by simply hooking the antenna signal into the loop. Before Directv offered locals I had my locals looped in that way, now more than a decade latter I have locals provided via Directv but it's harder to integrate my own into the system. Go figure! I would like to hear what Iceburg has to say about the AM21 before I commit to it. As for now it appears it may be the most logical, cost effective approach. Thanks for your insight Hutch.
 
wildbill129

wildbill129

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 31, 2009
1,273
0
Redding, CA
I have an am-21 for the exact reason you need one. Occasionally we get horrible weather. The am-21 allows me to watch and record local OTA channels when the satellite goes out. It integrates the channels into the guide so you can record them just like a normal satellite channel.
 
C

CrackerHD

Thread Starter
Member
Jan 11, 2010
11
0
Mississippi
I have an am-21 for the exact reason you need one. Occasionally we get horrible weather. The am-21 allows me to watch and record local OTA channels when the satellite goes out. It integrates the channels into the guide so you can record them just like a normal satellite channel.

Thanks Bill does the AM21 allow any user input on when the locals are used? In other words when using the AM21 (meaning when it is linked to a receiver) can the user still get the locals from Directv's feed and only initiate OTA locals if the Directv feed is lost due to rain fade? I understand Directv populates the user guide and functionality is unchanged when using OTA but as a matter of preference I'd rather use Directv's feed not OTAs full-time.
 
M

medic-dan

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 8, 2009
37
0
Massachusetts
How about an alternative, keep your satellite hookup as is.

Plug the coax from your OTA antenna into your TV.

Connect the Optical audio out on the TV, yes it has one, to your AV receiver (if you have it) or use an RCA cable for the audio, the TV has these too.

You'd have to turn on the AV system to hear anything....
 
C

CrackerHD

Thread Starter
Member
Jan 11, 2010
11
0
Mississippi
medic-dan said:
How about an alternative, keep your satellite hookup as is.

Plug the coax from your OTA antenna into your TV.

Connect the Optical audio out on the TV, yes it has one, to your AV receiver (if you have it) or use an RCA cable for the audio, the TV has these too.

You'd have to turn on the AV system to hear anything....

HMMMM interesting suggestion and worth a look. I may have to install it this way and see if this is a simple solution is the perfect scenario for severe T-storms and local broadcast to monitor the storms just in case. Thanks I'll report back soon.
 
jdspencer

jdspencer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2004
4,088
18
Binghamton, NY
Thanks Bill does the AM21 allow any user input on when the locals are used? In other words when using the AM21 (meaning when it is linked to a receiver) can the user still get the locals from Directv's feed and only initiate OTA locals if the Directv feed is lost due to rain fade? I understand Directv populates the user guide and functionality is unchanged when using OTA but as a matter of preference I'd rather use Directv's feed not OTAs full-time.
The OTA AM21 channels are integrated with DirecTV delivered locals. They are listed separately in the guide. You can choose which version to record.
 
C

CrackerHD

Thread Starter
Member
Jan 11, 2010
11
0
Mississippi
The OTA AM21 channels are integrated with DirecTV delivered locals. They are listed separately in the guide. You can choose which version to record.

Sincerely appreciate the technical info on the AM21 and how the OTA channels coincide with the Directv provided local channels with the seamless added functionality. I used the idea provided by medic-dan which for my objective and for mentioned guidelines made the most logical sense from all aspects for my needs. It works splendidly, achieves my original intent and is the most economical. The AM21 certainly is a viable solution but for my limited expected use and primary reason for use makes the AM21 an added expense more so than a perceived value. Wait until the fall when CBS is carrying some SEC football programming and I lose my Direct signal from a storm; I'm certian I'll feel differently and be on the phone purchasing an AM21. Thanks again all.
 
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Similar threads

larry55
Replies
16
Views
3K
raoul5788
raoul5788
H
Replies
16
Views
2K
theebdk
T
tylerbonezjonez
  • Locked
Replies
45
Views
6K
Kevinw
Kevinw
D
Replies
34
Views
5K
vurbano
vurbano
A
Replies
2
Views
798
Andyman33
A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top