Cable Guys... VOOM maybe coming to you

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Originally Posted by kfried001
BTW, United Cable just signed up for 14 Voom Originals.

Source

Voom Vanishes From High-Definition TV Landscape
The Wichita Eagle (Wichita, Kan.)April 30, 2005
Apr. 30--WICHITA, Kan. -- After about a year of offering a large slate of high definition channels nationally, Voom is going out of business today, stranding thousands of subscribers in the Wichita area. But 14 of the most popular Voom HD channels are being picked up immediately by Dish Network and are available locally through United Cable Direct.

If I understand it correctly, United Cable Direct delivers whatever Dish Network sends via satellite. So, since E* now has VOOM channels, they will be available to United Cable too. Am I right on this?

You know after thinking about it the discrepency between the VOOM 10 and 14 VOOM channels could be explaned by Dish already having some of the channels VOOM carried in HD... TNTHD, ESPNHD, DHDT, HBO/SHO East HD, or perhaps they are counting the networks in HD which you could receive OTA with VOOM or Dish...

Can someone PLEASE (That has a clue) tell me what to do!!! I call the number on my VOOM TV screen to get the details of the offer from DishNetwork for VOOM customers. THEY HAVE NO CLUE and keep telling me to call the same number, which directs me right back to THEM DishNetowrk. AND THEN start reading a script that has nothing to do with VOOM.

If you search the Dish Network site for keyword "VOOM"...you will get the 10 channels they now offer ( http://www.dishnetwork.com/search/sitesearch/index.asp?q2=voom&RecordsPerPage=10&c2=@META_Keyword&SearchLimit=1&q3= )
. I can't find out the specifics that DN is supposed to be offering to former VOOM customers (which HD DVR, how much, when does promo price end 3 or 6 months I hear both, receiver FEE or purchase).

CAN ANYONE PLEASE POST THE SPECIFICS AND PLEASE ONLY POST IF YOU ACTUALLY KNOW THEM AND ARE NOT GUESSING...(Something official would be nice...especially links to corporate sites) I can't tell you how FRUSTRATED I am!!! Why to the most simple things in life have to be made so freaking complex????? SORRY...I had to vent to my VOOM bretheren!!!

Sean Mota said:
I am not very familiar with United Cable Direct buf found this and it looks like you are right: http://www.unitedcabledirectkansas.com/faq.asp

Yep, it looks like that it only serves the Witchita Kansas Area and all they do is install the E* dish and equipment. :(

I put the bug in Cox Cables ear this morning, and they said that they would get back to me in a few days to let me know if they intend on carrying any of the V* programming. I think that the Cable companies are going to have problems carrying all 21 though until they get rid of the Analog channels that most companies still maintain.

Yeah, some cable company, lol there's no cable. All they do is service and install dish network equipment for a bunch of dependent folks.

Sean Mota said:
According to Wilt (YES the Wilt from VOOM) it is not a matter of space to carry them on CVC.

Most likely it is the lack of equipment to encode/transmit 21 HD channels. The equipment is probably on order, and it is probably mostly custom built stuff with a good lead time on it. Not to mention how many boxes they will need installed throughout their systems. How many head end locations does CVC have for their millions of customers?

Check out the VOOM forum. It's all there.

hoganlo said:
Can someone PLEASE (That has a clue) tell me what to do!!! I call the number on my VOOM TV screen to get the details of the offer from DishNetwork for VOOM customers. THEY HAVE NO CLUE and keep telling me to call the same number, which directs me right back to THEM DishNetowrk. AND THEN start reading a script that has nothing to do with VOOM.

If you search the Dish Network site for keyword "VOOM"...you will get the 10 channels they now offer ( http://www.dishnetwork.com/search/sitesearch/index.asp?q2=voom&RecordsPerPage=10&c2=@META_Keyword&SearchLimit=1&q3= )
. I can't find out the specifics that DN is supposed to be offering to former VOOM customers (which HD DVR, how much, when does promo price end 3 or 6 months I hear both, receiver FEE or purchase).

CAN ANYONE PLEASE POST THE SPECIFICS AND PLEASE ONLY POST IF YOU ACTUALLY KNOW THEM AND ARE NOT GUESSING...(Something official would be nice...especially links to corporate sites) I can't tell you how FRUSTRATED I am!!! Why to the most simple things in life have to be made so freaking complex????? SORRY...I had to vent to my VOOM bretheren!!!

Still sort of enjoying OTA HD under starry Seattle skies, Gill

Nope, VOOM had 21 exclusive channels of their very own.

mike123abc said:
You know after thinking about it the discrepency between the VOOM 10 and 14 VOOM channels could be explaned by Dish already having some of the channels VOOM carried in HD... TNTHD, ESPNHD, DHDT, HBO/SHO East HD, or perhaps they are counting the networks in HD which you could receive OTA with VOOM or Dish...

Enjoying(?) OTA HD under dark and cloudless Seattle skies, Gill

mike123abc said:
Most likely it is the lack of equipment to encode/transmit 21 HD channels. The equipment is probably on order, and it is probably mostly custom built stuff with a good lead time on it. Not to mention how many boxes they will need installed throughout their systems. How many head end locations does CVC have for their millions of customers?

I spoke to one of the guys with Harmonic at NAB and he told me that CVC had plans for the Harmonic encoders they just put in use for V*. I would think that these could be used for Cablevision, but I am not sure though.

I don't know about next week or next month but right now cablevision can NOt handle the extra HD load,but there are solutions i.e harmonics,dropping analog to digital freeing space.they would be smart to announce plans for future as they are loosing customers from Voom to Dish in the NYC metro area

rang1995 said:
I don't know about next week or next month but right now cablevision can NOt handle the extra HD load,but there are solutions i.e harmonics,dropping analog to digital freeing space.they would be smart to announce plans for future as they are loosing customers from Voom to Dish in the NYC metro area

I was told the same thing by a few people. I.e., presently there is no room on cable for even a few additional HD channels.

Obviously, Wilt (from Voom) is very knowledgeable so I don't get his comment. Am I missing something Sean?

Comcast already has more HD channels than Dish. Not really counting Voom channels, since they're not available all. They recently added TNT HD. I'll bet they have room for a few more :)

dont24 said:
Comcast already has more HD channels than Dish. Not really counting Voom channels, since they're not available all. They recently added TNT HD. I'll bet they have room for a few more :)

you got to count the voom channels. they are in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)