Cable is not worth having

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
miguelaqui said:
That's incredible!!! They probably have the same system they had 25 years ago; a simple 2-13 system (14-22 are really between 6 and 7 and 23 is one above 13)
I can't believe they have any customers.

I wonder why they aren't using 95-99 either?

ch.95-97 is right in the FM band, ch. 98 & 99 is just above the FM band and these two are usually used if needed and ch.95-97 is used only as a last resort (or public acess) because of possible interference from radio stations in the area. I use all of them except ch.97 because I have a radio station on 105.9 that over rides the channel (ingress). I have a FM station a way out that causes a small wave in ch.95 but nothing major and no compliants either. once the system is upgraded, these channels will be abandon. I may still use ch.98 & 99 for something else. some systems have used these channels to transmit some digital stuff as well. these channels are also consider the "A- channels". ch.95 (A-1), ch.96 (A-2), ch.97 (A-3), ch.98 (A-4) and ch.99 (A-5)

Last edited:
cablewithaview said:
ch.95-97 is right in the FM band, ch. 98 & 99 is just above the FM band and these two are usually used if needed and ch.95-97 is used only used as a last resort because of possible interference from radio stations in the area. I use all of them except ch.97 because I have a radio station on 105.9 that over rides the channel (ingress). I have a FM station a way out that causes a small wave in ch.95 but nothing major and no compliants either. once the system is upgraded, these channels will be abandon. I may still use ch.98 & 99 for something else. some systems have used these channels to transmit some digital stuff as well. these channels are also consider the "A- channels". ch.95 (A-1), ch.96 (A-2), ch.97 (A-3), ch.98 (A-4) and ch.99 (A-5)

Ahhh... never thought about it that way. The cable co here uses 95-99 for digital services.

miguelaqui said:
That's incredible!!! They probably have the same system they had 25 years ago; a simple 2-13 system (14-22 are really between 6 and 7 and 23 is one above 13)
I can't believe they have any customers.

the frequencies are laid out like this for cable tv:
Sub Band T-7 thru T-13' 7.0000 to 47.5000 Mhz
Low Band 2 thru 6, 55.2500 to 97.7500 Mhz
Mid Band 95 thru 22, 91.2500 to 173.7500 Mhz
High Band 7 thru 13, 175.2500 to 215.7500 Mhz
Super Band 23 thru 36, 217.2500 to 299.7625 Mhz
Hyper Band 37 thru 64, 301.2625 to 467.7500 Mhz
ULTRA BAND 65 thru 158, 469.2500 to 1001.7500 Mhz

digiblur said:
Ahhh... never thought about it that way. The cable co here uses 95-99 for digital services.

that also depends on FM interference as well, most companies on average will have a space somewhere between ch.60 to ch.80 set aside for the digital platform as well.

cablewithaview said:
that also depends on FM interference as well, most companies on average will have a space somewhere between ch.60 to ch.80 set aside for the digital platform as well.

Digital starts at 79 and runs up to 115, all QAM256 carriers with 2 new additions to 121 and 124 also in QAM256.

I'm going 750 here. Comcast went to 750 within the past few years and Charter is going 750 in the future as well starting next year I think? this would make a tie in interesting and easier to do.

So that makes sense about the interference with 95-99

When I lived in Duluth, Charter had 95-99 as church channels and items like that. 95 had major interference, but there was a station on 105.9 about 20 miles away

97 sucked too..We had a translator station on radio 106.3 due to the intermodulation in Duluth

But then again, Charter sucked all around. The locals in the town were 3,6,8,10,12 and 21. Charter put them on 4,5,12,13,16 and 11. They then put other channels on 8 & 10

So if you turned on channel 8, you had QVC on TV with a overlay (and audio) of PBS 8.
Channel 10 was the same way (I think it was C-Span on that channel)
12 sucked because it had a mix of PBS 8 (on Channel 12) and UPN 12 (which was 12 OTA). The farther you got from downtown, the less this happened (because OTA 12 was very low powered)

72 was screwed up too because of 21 OTA (if your TV is set to “cable” OTA 21 was on 72). So they didn’t put anything on that channel.

Iceberg said:
So that makes sense about the interference with 95-99

When I lived in Duluth, Charter had 95-99 as church channels and items like that. 95 had major interference, but there was a station on 105.9 about 20 miles away

97 sucked too..We had a translator station on radio 106.3 due to the intermodulation in Duluth

with 105.9 and 106.3, ch. 97 would not have much of a chance.

Iceberg said:
But then again, Charter sucked all around. The locals in the town were 3,6,8,10,12 and 21. Charter put them on 4,5,12,13,16 and 11. They then put other channels on 8 & 10

So if you turned on channel 8, you had QVC on TV with a overlay (and audio) of PBS 8.
Channel 10 was the same way (I think it was C-Span on that channel)
12 sucked because it had a mix of PBS 8 (on Channel 12) and UPN 12 (which was 12 OTA). The farther you got from downtown, the less this happened (because OTA 12 was very low powered)

72 was screwed up too because of 21 OTA (if your TV is set to “cable” OTA 21 was on 72). So they didn’t put anything on that channel.

cable companies in a major market where the stations are located would have to set the locals off to a different channel. the reason being is ingress and it would look like a double image or cross hatch pattern appears because of the ingress or even wiped out. most companies will put shopping channels or something of less viewed on these channels if space is not available. other than that they usually leave them blank. that's the reason you don't see a station on the same channel id if the station is close to the system. The only time I have an issue with my ch.7 is if a cable wire has been chewed by a rodent. I will see a double image effect on ch.7 then.

OTA ch.21 is the same freq. as cable ch.72
VHF OTA is the same as cable for channels 2-13 and the UHF starts at 471.25 (video ch.14) and runs straight to 805.75 (audio ch.69)

cablewithaview said:
with 105.9 and 106.3, ch. 97 would not have much of a chance.
106.3 has since moved to 94.1 (they moved the station antenna to higher ground). Havent been able to see the stations since they moved that antenna

cable companies in a major market where the stations are located would have to set the locals off to a different channel. the reason being is ingress and it would look like a double image or cross hatch pattern appears because of the ingress or even wiped out. most companies will put shopping channels or something of less viewed on these channels if space is not available. other than that they usually leave them blank. that's the reason you don't see a station on the same channel id if the station is close to the system. The only time I have an issue with my ch.7 is if a cable wire has been chewed by a rodent. I will see a double image effect on ch.7 then.
I know in Duluth nothing is on 3 or 6. Channel 6 I could pick up crystal clear with cable (that's how screwed up cable was).

OTA ch.21 is the same freq. as cable ch.72
that I knew because I've seen people with TV's saying they cant get 17,23,29 and I always say "try 68, 74, 80". The settign was for cable :)

I was wrong. There is no 97 anymore

95 BET Jazz Analog Basic
96 Trinity Broadcasting/TBN Analog Basic
98 EWTN Analog Basic
99 Inspirational Network Analog Basic

as for the locals, I could see that (not putting them on the same channels). What's funny is ABC in Duluth is 10 OTA and is on 13 cable. Their satellite station in the northern part of the DMA is on 13 OTA and 10 cable :)

futher out and away from the station you can put the VHF channels on the same (ie 10 on 10) because the ingress from that channel isn't there as being within the surrounding area. tha cable isn't bad right there close to the station. it doesn't matter what you do, the ingress will be their with that much power coming off the transmitters. As I mentioned, I have stuff on in the FM band, but I have seen some tv's not have a good shield and you can see the ingress bad. Of course I would use my tv and wouldn't be able to see the ingress. One thing I try to isolate the problem is use a converter, if the ingress shows up on the said channels through the box, then it's in the field, if it does not show up, then it's the tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)