Cable Monopoly

There is no government sanctioned cable monopoly. Governments can't give exclusive franchise agreements.

I never said anything about government approved monopolies, that is why they are called 'near monopolies', if you guys would be honest and do research instead of towing the company line, and putting words into my mouth.

I never said anything about government approved monopolies, that is why they are called 'near monopolies', if you guys would be honest and do research instead of towing the company line, and putting words into my mouth.

Alas, I wasn't thinking of you at all here. Instead:

Cable comapnies pay municipalities franchise fees to grant them exclusive rights as the cable TV provider in those municipalities. Mini-monopolies, if you will, sanctioned by the local governments

One of the other things we have remember is that technically the argument can be made on both sides. The cable co's built the bandwith...in relation to other things someone can make the argument that it's like a private road...they charge what they want and they get what they want....now to grant access to someone that will compete with them well that sometimes doesn't really make sense...

Laying down cable and rewiring a town for a whole new cable co would be costly...I know only one town that has competition in cable and that's because they have their own electic company (they offer other services)

However I think the real differences are going to be taken down....cable internet is here and dsl is here as well...satellite can be nearly anywhere and FIOS is growing...there's also the controversal BPL....

Personally I don't like it when the cable co's market too much and overpromise...for example when digital cable came out I wanted a box...they said they pass them out at 6am at the local office...no waiting list or reserve :mad:

I got so ticked that I wrote a letter to their regional vice president that was nasty...within a few days I got a call that two boxes were on hold :D

I think the rules really do have to be rewritten in this day and age. Like carrying over the air tv made sense when it was local stations but over the air we have a few spanish channels, a home shopping one and one that's nearly all infomertials...what's the point of forcing a company to waste bandwith on that? Then they have to maintain a community access area whereas satellite doesn't. Cable I think can do nearly anything satellite can and more but it would be 2 to 3 times the price.

Fios Mercer County

Fiber in Fresno?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)