Cable to DirecTV switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crayontz

Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
South Dakota
Ok, if I am not posting in right section I'm sorry and feel free to move it.

Anyway, my cable provider doesn't have Fuel which has UFC shows on it now. Also doesnt have HDNet. Originally I was going to wait for FIOS to come to my area. I have 8 TVs in my home most of them HD.

Any tips or suggestions in getting set up to DirecTV? I like the HR-34 receiver. Would like HD on at least 4 of the TVs. Would like to get into a satellite setup without much equipment fees.

The television the HR34 is hooked up to is the only way to watch ondemand programming then?

Does DirecTV give baseball season passes since football is over?

Edit: Does DVR and ondemand work when snow is on the dish?

Thanks

That's a lot of tvs. You're looking at $6 a receiver if you want then all hooked up plus a $8 DVR fee.

The HR34 is like the "center" of the system if you went with it. If you want on demand in other locations you would need an HDDVR in those locations. The excempt part about this is MRV (Multi-Room Viewing). It allows you to access recordings in other locations but you would need HD receivers in any room you would like that in. As far as HD's go, you could luck out and need HD receivers due to where your locals are coming from. If you're an MPEG4 market then you get HD receivers free of charge. If not, you would more then likely be charged for your HD equipment. They give a free HDDVR and HD then charge for anything after that NORMALLY. DVR and on demand work when your satelitte goes out but you won't be able to record anything when it's out, just watch recorded shows. I think I cleared everything! Good luck!

I currently have an HR34 with two H25s. Many of your questions were the same questions I had. You can download On Demand to your DVR and if you have whole home DVR (highly recommended) you'll be able to access those On Demand programs from anywhere in your home. You can set them to download from a smart phone, an iPad and from your computer. The downloads do go a little slow, but they're great quality!

You can watch these at any time, whether your satellite is working or not.

I live in Florida so I don't have to worry about snow, but I have a lot of storms come through and in all the time I've had DirecTV I rarely lost service due to a heavy storm. I highly recommend DirecTV to anyone considering the switch. They are, by far and away, the most advanced television provider. The new HD guide is great, the HR34 is a great box capable of recording 5 things at once! I love this box, and will love it even more when a more stable version of the HD guide is released.

I know these questions had already been answered but I figured I'd chime in and let you know of my experience. I switched from the cable company too and I'm pleased that I did. Everything went fairly smooth. I was one of the first to order the HR34, I got it for $99 and love it!

Ok, thanks for the info! Am I going to be good with 1 HR34? The next ones to get is HR24 or HR25 (HDDVR)?

Does anyone rock a couple or three of those HR34s?

Do they have a MLB Season Pass they will be giving away?

Any particular number to call for the best deal while talking to someone halfway smart about this, or can you get a better deal talking to an installer?

I'm no expert, but here in upstate New York we get loads of snow and neither me or anyone I know have ever had issues because of it. From what I've read on these boards problems appear to be related to the angle of the dish and whether snow builds up in the bowl of the dish. Snow seems to affect folks further south more. Still, I know you get some pretty stiff winds in your part of the country so I'd make sure your dish is in proper alignment and locked down tight before the installer leaves. It also wouldn't hurt to mount it in a place that you can get to just in case you do have to clean it off. Good luck and I'm sure you'll love DirecTV.

Jimbo said:
Remember the second one would likely be full price, $ 399

We was told no way, Directv won't let anybody activate 2 on an account until atleast mid next year

We was told no way, Directv won't let anybody activate 2 on an account until atleast mid next year

But eventually you will be ... this is typical though so they can get the product out.

There was the same issue with the HR20 and the HR24 when they first came out, you could only get one of each till the product was saturated.

Jimbo said:
But eventually you will be ... this is typical though so they can get the product out.

There was the same issue with the HR20 and the HR24 when they first came out, you could only get one of each till the product was saturated.

Oh I know, it'll get to the point that people will have 2 or 3 in a house but as of now, they've got it on lock

Oh I know, it'll get to the point that people will have 2 or 3 in a house but as of now, they've got it on lock

I wonder if they would activate more than one if you got it from Solid Signal or somewhere like that.

It really depends on your viewing habits. Will all 8 be on at one time? One HR34 and four H25's (there are no HR25's... HR series are the DVR's) could get the job done to have HD on all TV's AND to have DVR access. If you choose to go with SD boxes for some TV's, those will not have viewing options to watch shows from the HR34.

raoul5788 said:
I wonder if they would activate more than one if you got it from Solid Signal or somewhere like that.

I've wondered that myself, we've been told they won't even activate so who knows. Guess we'll have to wait and see. You know somebody is going to post sooner or later about trying to :)

I would have to say YES.

When the HR20's came out and you could only have one, that was from D*, if you went out and got the extra HR20, they would activate it for you, they really had no choice.

With the HR34, it's more than likely the same as long as the sub has the correct equipment to set it up.

You can download On Demand to your DVR and if you have whole home DVR (highly recommended) you'll be able to access those On Demand programs from anywhere in your home. You can set them to download from a smart phone, an iPad and from your computer. The downloads do go a little slow, but they're great quality!

You can watch these at any time, whether your satellite is working or not.

All great points, some people dont remember that you can set ondemand to download from any smartphone app, or computer, you dont need to be on the dvr box. Altho if you have multiple dvrs you can obviously use them all to do your downloads.

One point I would like to add upon. When you stated your downloads are a little slow, this is ENTIRELY dependent on your Internet Service Provider. If you have the D* TP and have Verizon or similar for landline/dsl internet you more than likely are not capable of receiving their 7.1MB download speed since it is so scarce, Think about downloading a Movie in HD over the internet on a computer, this isnt streaming, the faster your connection the quicker the download. I use Comcast BLAST! internet for this reason mainly. Im also a Comcast employee but thats irrelevant, my download speed is 30MB down, which is ridiculously faster than anything dsl is able to offer in my area. most areas are capped at 3Mb down also. Just some friendly advice, and not trying to push sales, but anyone interested in a comcast account for internet only, if you find a Local Direct Sales Rep, DSR, (the ppl that knock door to door trying to sell you comcast) they are able to offer blast internet at 29.99/mo for a year, vs the 59.99/mo for 6mb service off promotion when ordering from comcast.com for example. Point being find a guy selling and sign up through him.

All great points, some people dont remember that you can set ondemand to download from any smartphone app, or computer, you dont need to be on the dvr box. Altho if you have multiple dvrs you can obviously use them all to do your downloads.

One point I would like to add upon. When you stated your downloads are a little slow, this is ENTIRELY dependent on your Internet Service Provider. If you have the D* TP and have Verizon or similar for landline/dsl internet you more than likely are not capable of receiving their 7.1MB download speed since it is so scarce, Think about downloading a Movie in HD over the internet on a computer, this isnt streaming, the faster your connection the quicker the download. I use Comcast BLAST! internet for this reason mainly. Im also a Comcast employee but thats irrelevant, my download speed is 30MB down, which is ridiculously faster than anything dsl is able to offer in my area. most areas are capped at 3Mb down also. Just some friendly advice, and not trying to push sales, but anyone interested in a comcast account for internet only, if you find a Local Direct Sales Rep, DSR, (the ppl that knock door to door trying to sell you comcast) they are able to offer blast internet at 29.99/mo for a year, vs the 59.99/mo for 6mb service off promotion when ordering from comcast.com for example. Point being find a guy selling and sign up through him.

That for some reason sounds really high priced, $ 60 for 6MG ?
The promo at $ 29 seems about right.

ATT Uverse has a lot of deals going cheaper than most of them, IF your in a Uverse area.
Many oif the rates are $20, then a $30 and the 26 meg is $49

That for some reason sounds really high priced, $ 60 for 6MG ?
The promo at $ 29 seems about right.

ATT Uverse has a lot of deals going cheaper than most of them, IF your in a Uverse area.
Many oif the rates are $20, then a $30 and the 26 meg is $49

The 6 meg was $ 20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)