Cable vs DN vs DTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm currently with comcast cable and internet. I recently purchased an HD ready LCD tv and would like to take advantage of it so I've been strongly considering switching to Dish.

However, for either DN or DTV you need a separate off-air antenna to get the locals in HDTV, right? Which requires an additional purchase and install fee. With comcast I should get my locals in HDTV (when broadcasted as such) without an antenna, correct? And I would have the same amount of HD local content that I would get with an antenna right?

If so, those are pretty good benefits that may make me stay with comcast.

What other benefits are there to comcast over DN or DTV? Or Vice Versa? I'm having a heck of a time making a decision.

BTW, I am in the Lansing Michigan broadcast area, zip 48820.

Thanks very much for any help, and great website with tons of information. How come the people I call on the phone and at the stores don't know any of this?

Grrrrrrrrr.

Your Post contains one or more URLs (i.e. links to other sites), please remove them before submitting your message again. You will be able to post links after you become a established member with 5 or more posts. The reson for this is to prevent SPAM from being posted by automated bots. Thanks for your understanding!

What is wrong? I'm not post any links and I cannot figure out what I am typing is causing this message?

Welcome aboard!

Both E* (DishNetwork/Echostar) and D* (DirecTV) are slowly moving toward offering local HD channels, though this will take time. Check with the sites like www.antennaweb.org to see how far you are from your TV towers. If you are close enough, you might be able to use an indoor antenna for your locals.

There are various pros and cons to consider: monthly costs, equipment and installation costs, channel lineup, HD channels available, local channels, PPV, etc. etc.
You have to consider all of them very thoroughly and decide what is important for you what is not. For me, having the most of HD channels was the top priority, so I went with VOOM, then switched to cable (when VOOM DBS went down), then switch to E*, as they started offering the most competitive HD channel line-up. Some cable companies are very competitive in HD area, others are not. D* is way behind, though they are promising a lot of HD channels in the future.

Rook said:
Grrrrrrrrr.
What is wrong? I'm not post any links and I cannot figure out what I am typing is causing this message?
One more post and the program will allow you to post links. ;)
(This is a protection against SPAMers)

Okay, here are my digital locals according to that site:

* yellow - uhf WZPX-DT 43.1 i BATTLE CREEK MI 253° 28.3 44
* yellow - uhf WSYM-DT 47.1 FOX LANSING MI 197° 25.9 38
* yellow - uhf WLNS-DT 6.1 CBS LANSING MI 145° 13.4 59
* yellow - uhf WKAR-DT 23.1 PBS EAST LANSING MI 149° 11.5 55
* yellow - uhf WHTV-DT 34 UPN JACKSON MI TBD 183° 28.6 34
* yellow - uhf WLAJ-DT 53.1 ABC LANSING MI 183° 28.6 51
* lt green - uhf WAQP-DT 49.1 TBN SAGINAW MI TBD 49° 36.6 48
* red - uhf WILX-DT 10.1 NBC ONONDAGA MI 188° 27.2 57
* blue - uhf WSMH-DT 16 FOX FLINT MI TBD 49° 36.6 16
* blue - uhf WJRT-DT 12.1 ABC FLINT MI 48° 36.8 36
* violet - uhf WPXD-DT 31.1 i ANN ARBOR MI TBD 148° 40.1 33

I spoke with a Comcast operator and they said only my local CBS and PBS are offered in HDTV through comcast. HD is important since that is why we spent all the cash on the new t.v. I know you can get locals in HD with an OTA antenna, but I am not sure how I would run a cable from the roof to the t.v. on the first floor, and that sounds like a pain. But it appears that no one offers the locals in HD for me (at least not all of them). Do you think a small $19.99 indoor antenna would work? That website says to get a small mulitdirectional. Any idea which would work best? Also, can an antenna hook upto a Comcast HD receiver like they can hook upto a D* or E* receiver?

One benefit with Comcast is that I can get a dual tuner HD/DVR for free and only pay $9.99/mth for HD/DVR service. I would like Voom with E* but I don't want to spend more yet to have a second dish installed at some unknown price depending on the installer.

Plus, it appears from reading here that both D* and E* (I wondered what that meant ;)) are making changes soon, so maybe I'll wait to decide which is going to end up being better for HD channels before getting into a contract.

Well, from the chart, your Lansing stations are probably a good bet for a small indoor antenna, but the rest might require an attic or roof-mounted directional antenna.

The best indoor that I've used is the Zenith Silver Sensor (about $40 at Sears, but available over the internet for less than $30). Radio Shack has a good return policy on antennas if you wanted to try something bigger.

From Lansing, you should be able to get the VOOM channels on the 129 satellite with a Dish 1000 (110/119/129), so two dishes wouldn't be required.

Welcome to the site. :wave

Shouldn't E* know that about the Voom? I talked to several different people and they all said I needed a new dish. One guy even tried to see if I could get a free 61.5 dish for a local but I did not qualify and he was trying to tell me how to DIY for less.

BTW, what is the Dish 1000? Is that the Superdish?

Also, if I mount an antenna in the attic how do you get the cable line down to the main t.v.? I would guess I would need to run out side, down the side of the house, into the basement and up through the wall, which is a lot of cable and my wife will not be too pleased.

no a dish 1000 is not a super dish. :) its just as small as a dish 500 and recives 110 119 and 129.. its the same size as the directv tri (para todos) dishes. about 23 inches or so. a super dish is quite bigger..

Can a 1000 give me the HDTV and the local channels as well?

Just asked a rep at E*. I was told no, I need a 61.5 Voom dish to get Voom :mad:

Lansing locals arent on the 1000 at this time, they come off the 121 wich is a super dish so to get voom you would need a second dish to the 61.5. If your leaning towards using an antenna to get your local HD ( that is what I would do ) then get the 1000 wich will get you all of what you want but only if you dont get the locals through dish. Keep this in mind though, when you order service you need to make it clear if you dont want the locals or they will set you up for a superdish and a wing dish if your ordering the voom hd ontop of the regular hd, and they will charge you for the locals as well.

I just tried talking to a rep again, and again it was a no go. They insist that I need a second dish. But, then again that was before the last post (thanks Van). So, If I order E* with HDTV and w/out locals I should get a Dish 1000? But, if I order locals I will get a Superdish which will not work, correct so far? Then, I should be able to get Voom off one dish along with regular digital and HD and get my locals from an antenna? And, I would not be paying the extra for locals?

I'll give it another try. Now just to figure out how to get them to give me a free DVR/HD receiver upgrade :)

Well, tried again with an on-line chat with an E* rep. He said Dish1000 is not available in my area :( And therefore, I need two dishes, of course at an additional cost of $99. He did not say whether it just wasn't offered yet or if the D1000 would not work in my area.

So, $99 plus $250 to get set up the right way :(

Hi again, I have another question.

I went with E* and was installed this weekend. So far I am pleased. However, I've got a couple of questions.

I plan to go buy a silver sensor antenna for HDTV locals. However, do I need to hook the antenna upto the standard receiver as well to receive regular digital locals on my other two t.v.s? I want to avoid the $5 charge for locals.

Also, I have the 180 package with HDTV. Should I be getting the CBS HDTV channels with this package? Or, do you need a seperate package? They did install a superdish so I have locals right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)