Cable vs Voom - Cleveland, OH

MrPorterhouse

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 24, 2004
North Ridgeville, OHIO
HDTV Cable looks like my best option. I've really been tempted by VOOM, but I use Comcast Cable High Speed Internet and its significantly more expensive if I don't subscribe to Cable TV with them. In order for me to eat the extra internet charge, VOOM would have to be significantly better than Comcast so that the total value is worth the extra cash.

For me, (Cleveland area, North Ridgeville,OH to be exact)
Comcast offers HDTV service. $0 per month programming and $0 per month equipment rental. Only a one time charge of $39.99 setup fee. I am a current Digital Plus customer and pay about $56 per month, so for them to add HD programming for no monthly charge is awesome! Currently have about 10 HD channels(espn-hd is most important to me) and will be adding more as time goes on.

By staying with cable I am missing out on the digital quality SD cable channels(digital audio is important to me) and missing out on the VOOM HD exclusive channels(not important to me, but a good feature). It will be quite a while before Comcast goes digital on all cable networks. They are still sticking to the FCC mandate of 2006. So I will have to rely on Comcast adding the HD feeds of those same networks to get Digital quality audio and HD picture quality. (Example, ESPN is SD analog picture and analog audio, but ESPN-HD is all digital and High Definition when programming is availible) The bonus is that my A/V receiver(Pioneer Elite VSX-43tx) does an extremely good job at processing an analog 2-channel stereo audio source into a 6.1 channel audio surround sound experience.

I think my choice to stay with Comcast cable for HDTV service is obvious, especially since HD programmig will really ramp up towards fouth quarter 2004 and into 2005, and beyond.

Unless, of course, anyone can offer me suggestions or update me on anything that I may be missing regarding VOOM vs Comcast.

HDTV Cable looks like my best option. I've really been tempted by VOOM, but I use Comcast Cable High Speed Internet and its significantly more expensive if I don't subscribe to Cable TV with them. In order for me to eat the extra internet charge, VOOM would have to be significantly better than Comcast so that the total value is worth the extra cash.

For me, (Cleveland area, North Ridgeville,OH to be exact)
Comcast offers HDTV service. $0 per month programming and $0 per month equipment rental. Only a one time charge of $39.99 setup fee. I am a current Digital Plus customer and pay about $56 per month, so for them to add HD programming for no monthly charge is awesome! Currently have about 10 HD channels(espn-hd is most important to me) and will be adding more as time goes on.

By staying with cable I am missing out on the digital quality SD cable channels(digital audio is important to me) and missing out on the VOOM HD exclusive channels(not important to me, but a good feature). It will be quite a while before Comcast goes digital on all cable networks. They are still sticking to the FCC mandate of 2006. So I will have to rely on Comcast adding the HD feeds of those same networks to get Digital quality audio and HD picture quality. (Example, ESPN is SD analog picture and analog audio, but ESPN-HD is all digital and High Definition when programming is availible) The bonus is that my A/V receiver(Pioneer Elite VSX-43tx) does an extremely good job at processing an analog 2-channel stereo audio source into a 6.1 channel audio surround sound experience.

I think my choice to stay with Comcast cable for HDTV service is obvious, especially since HD programmig will really ramp up towards fouth quarter 2004 and into 2005, and beyond.

Unless anyone can point out any other differences that I may be overlooking???????Especially FAYRICH, fellow Ridgeville citizen.

MrPorterhouse,

I guess it all depends on your viewing habits. VOOM gives you a unique opportunity to watch HD almost exclusively. Whether this is worth the extra cost for you, you need to decide for yourself. In my case, the amount of HD programming I am watching lets me cut costs on DVD renting, so in essence, VOOM is much cheaper for me than cable+DVD rental.

What are those 10 HD channels? I am curios. Keep in mind, that they might be counting local networks, like ABC, NBC, that are available OTA, and premium channels like SHOW-HD, which would not be included with a basic digital package.

If I were you I would sign up to VOOM before their $0 down deal expires next week and try it for one month. After that you would be in a much better position to decide whether to keep it or not.

MrPorterhouse - If you would like to see Voom in action, send me a private e-mail. Have never used that function on this forum, but give it a try. Would be happy to let you see what it's all about.

I made a similar choice a few months ago and switched from E* to Comcast instead of V*.

I tried to get the HD OTA stations with my E* 6000 receiver, but gave up because the antenna had to shoot through some very tall pine trees. Every time the wind blew, the OTA channels would cut in and out constantly.

Comcast's HD lineup here in New England is pretty solid. I'm getting ABC,CBS,NBC,PBS,FOX,INHD,INHD2,ESPN,HBO,MAX,SHO,STARZ and most Red Sox home games in HD via NESN.

This costs me $70/mo including equipment rental (vs. $90/mo for Va Va Voom). And like you, I'm getting a $15/mo discount on HS Internet, so the V* package would actually cost me $105/mo if I dropped Comcast video service for V*.

But the decision maker was the local network HD channels. Without it, V* (even with it's many additional HD channels), just isn't appealing enough to me.

MrPorterhouse,

I have already replied to you in the Cleveland thread, but I guess I'll post it here as well:

I guess it all depends on your viewing habits. VOOM gives you a unique opportunity to watch HD almost exclusively. Whether this is worth the extra cost for you, you need to decide for yourself. In my case, the amount of HD programming I am watching lets me cut costs on DVD renting, so in essence, VOOM is much cheaper for me than cable+DVD rental.

What are those 10 HD channels? I am curios. Keep in mind, that they might be counting local networks, like ABC, NBC, that are available OTA, and premium channels like SHOW-HD, which would not be included with a basic digital package. (Edit: Based on the list provided by EdV, if you exclude local OTA (which you can get without any provider if you have an HDTV tuner) and premium channels (which I assume are not included with your Digital Plus package), you will only get three channels: INHD, INHD2 and ESPN.

If I were you, I would sign up to VOOM before their $0 down deal expires next week and try it for one month. After that you would be in a much better position to decide whether to keep it or not.

What do you get as a "digital plus" customer? HBO? Showtime?

Are you into the NBA? TNT-HD would be a BIG plus with VOOM. Don't expect to see it on Comcast anytime soon.

My suggestion is this ... sign up for Voom before the promotion deadline. If you decide Comcast is the way to go - at least you'll have tried it our for yourself for a month rather than relying on someone else's opinion on an internet message board.

My guess is you'll stick with Voom - at least if you value HDTV at all.

Yes, if you exclude locals. I only get ESPN, INHD, INHD2. But ESPN, NBC, FOX are the three channels that I watch most of my SD watching on anyway. I don't have an integrated HDTV tuner, so locals included in my HDTV package is necessary. As a digital Plus, I do not get premiums like HBO, SHowtime, etc... TNT-HD would be a bonus. I would like to see the NBA Pacers vs Detroit in HD. That won't happen even if I signed up for VOOM today because it will take a while before I can get it installed.

I would say that while I, of course, prefer HD over SD, I don't just want to watch a show because its in HD. If the show I want to watch is in HD, great. But if its in SD, then that's still what I wanted to see anyway. I guess I haven't been spoiled yet by seeing that much in HDTV. Only a few demos so far. I'm sure that if I saw more shows, and definetelty if I got it in my house, then I would be ruined like so many of you, and would have a difficult time watching SD. So for me, VOOM + Internet = $108/month
Cable + Internet= $99. That's pretty much a draw as far as price goes. So I only have a few more days left to make up my mind. Still leaning towards just keeping Comcast.

Ilya and Fayrich,

Thanks for your insight. I do not question the quality of VOOM, as I know that it is excellent. I guess it just comes down to value and my viewing habbits. I love watching sports(all seasons Baseball, basketball-college and NBA, football) and movies, Comcast has this and VOOM has more. I watch alot of local networks, which both Comcast and VOOM have. I watch some shows on cable networks, and this is where VOOM would really be an advantage in digital quality audio and HD when availible. I am a huge CUBS fan, and VOOM does not currenly carry WGN, while Comcast does. This is a sticking point for me, because I can not afford to have Comcast and VOOM. I must decide, and I leaning towards Comcast. VOOM has the HD advantage, no question. But Comcast will only continue to grow its HD lineup, and then will be even more attractive in the future. I keep emailing Comcast because if its customers stay on them, they will respond with more programming. They don't want unsatisfied customers. They don't see a huge market need to push HD and even digital as a whole, so they won't do anything because they don't think they have to. They told me they don't have any plans to go all digital before the FCC mandate in 2006. However, if they get enough communications from their customers, they will act faster, as they see the need. I mean, if your business was not getting any complaints and your customers kept purchasing your product, would you change? No, beacuse you wouldn't need to. Its the same with Comcast or any Cable/ DSS provider. Even if I'm in the minority, I can be a Vocal Minority and action will be taken.

Mr. Porterhouse,

Actually, if you went with V*, you wouldn't need an integrated HDTV tuner in your TV because the V* box has that. And they will install both the dish and the over the air (OTA) antenna to receive the local digital signals (including HD) that are available in your area.

But the problem is (as I've stated above) could you actually get all of those stations OTA. And even if you could, is it worth it to you to hang all that hardware on your house to get them if Comcast provides them anyway.

Based on your viewing preferences stated above, I'd stick with Comcast for now.

MrPorterhouse said:
So for me, VOOM + Internet = $108/month; Cable + Internet= $99.
So, you are saying that for just $9 a month you can exchange InHD for 24 HD channels (including TNT-HD, Bravo HD+, Discovery HD Theater, HDNews, Cinema-10, Monsters, Epics, WorldSport, etc.), not even counting all of your local OTA channels, but you don't want to be spoiled... ;)

Well, yes, that's kinda what I'm saying. But the way I see it, I don't need quantity of channels, I need quality. I need programming that I will actually watch. Right now, I've got well over 100 channels, probably closer to 150 SD channels. Now, really I only watch maybe 15 on a regular basis. I don't need the other 135 channels. For me its a nice bonus and great to demo the home theater to family and friends, but when all is said and done, its just me and my wife watching sports(ESPN, ESPN2, TBS, TNT, FOX Sports Net, WGN(cubs games)) or (NBC, FOX, locals) or Comedy central, MTV, TLC and a few others. So I don't need a HD art channel or All-monster movie channel. They would just sit there and collect dust.

From your angle it looks like VOOM would be the obvious choice considering what my price points are, but I really am still 95%sure that Comcast is right for me. Especially when I won't have to worry about rain fade when "the big game" is gonna be on.
Even though today I won't have nearly the number of channels or programming in High Definition, soon enough I will. HD programming is not just growing, its growing exponentially. Meaning that its been very, very slow addition to this point, but within the last year, it has grown more than it has in the last 5 years combined. And the rate is only increasing. Within 2 years, I would expect the market to DEMAND that HD be the standard. Consumers direct the way the networks go and what the programming options will be. Cable will always remain competitive and if DSS or VOOM really start to pull away, then the cable companies will match them or even lead the way. Technology is extremely dynamic, and nothing is certain, but if there is money to be made, VOOM, Comcast, Dish, somebody will go get it.

MrPorterhouse, as I said, it all depends on your viewing habits and on your priorities. Only you can decide what is more important for you and your family. I just hate to see you make your decision without even giving VOOM a try...

edit: the same topic in two threads: threads merged.

Mr PH,

If it's all about the Cubbies and only the Cubbies, stop reading my post now.

You say in one of your posts that "it's not about quanity, it's about quality".

Then your obvious choice is Voom! My I suggest that you find someone who can give you a Voom demo on a decent TV?

I too have broadband from my local cable provider, But I want quality and that is just why I have Voom.

What is there about quality about Comcast that I am missing on NBC-HD, ESPN-HD, INHD-HD, and INHD2. Those are the channels that I like and watch most often. Is VOOM NBC-HD better? Comcast never has rain fade or wind fade. When I say quality I am refering to having the HD channels that I would actually watch, not just having numerous channels that I would not watch often. When Comcast adds Discovery-HD then I'll be all set. That's the only HD channel on VOOM that I wish I had now.

Like I've said before, Comcast doesn't broadcast the majority of networks in digital, so I'm missing out on the digital audio, which I like.

VOOM is for HD, that's what sets it apart. However I'm really satisfied with my 7 HD channels that I get with Comcast. The only thing I'm missing is digital SD channels. And that is not really pulling me towards VOOM right now. Like I said, I might try it later on, maybe early July or whenever their special runs out.(it will probably get extended again). I'm feeling it out, and we'll see how it goes. I do get on Comcast, almost daily and let them know that I demand more HD. I'm few, but I'm loud!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts