Cableing Problem??

downriver

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Horse Creek, CA
My 622's (two so far) seem to function fairly well in single user mode, recording one program at a time and even watching one live. If I record two I start having problems and If I record two and watch one delayed a few minutes well it pretty much comes unglued with stutter, pops, and drops.

My question is this: The many techs that have been out say the 25 year old c-band cable that connects under the house is adequate. I'm beginning to suspect they just don't want to upgrade it as it would involve crawling and getting dirty. The last one said he would replace the cable if I went under there. At the time I had the flu so I declined.

Sooooo........ could this be the problem and should the tech in fact bite the bullet and change the cable???

The problem you describe does not sound like it is related to possible poor cabling. What are the temperature readings on your 622 (Press Menu-6-3-counters and page down 3 times)?

It really sounds like a hard drive or CPU problem.

Have you done a hard reboot (unplug for 30 seconds reconnect)?

The problem you describe does not sound like it is related to possible poor cabling. What are the temperature readings on your 622 (Press Menu-6-3-counters and page down 3 times)?

It really sounds like a hard drive or CPU problem.

Have you done a hard reboot (unplug for 30 seconds reconnect)?

Yes, I have rebooted the machine several times, including hard reboots

Temps:

Low 103
High 127
Avg 107

the 25 year old c-band cable that connects under the house is adequate
If I record two I start having problems and If I record two and watch one delayed a few minutes well it pretty much comes unglued with stutter, pops, and drops.
Sounds like the problem starts when you start making use of DishPro Technology using cable not suitable for it. :confused:
Do you know what TP's and Sat's the 2 shows are on?
Maybe try recording 2 shows from the same Sat and either Even or Odd Transponders to do a cable test.

With DishPro you are sending both polarities down at the same time; and with DishPro Plus, you are sending the signals for two separate tuners at the same time.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know much about C-Band cables. However, it could still be a hard disk drive, CPU, and/or software issue.

I'm sure Iceberg or someone else will be around shortly.:)

If the cable is 25 years old I would replace it. It's probably not rated to 2150 MHz. If the crawlspace is 12" tall and or full of mud, I wouldn't go under there. It'd be an exterior line. Been there done the mud crawls.

Whenever I go on a new connect I replace the sat line cables, it's not worth re-using the old BUD cable/DirecTV cable.

As to what your describing, it doesn't sound like a cabling issue, rather more of a DISH software issue.

I also believe like you and Jim5506 said. However, when you have 1 622, and then another that does the same thing, I kind of start expanding the possibilities.

But it could of been a bad batch of 622's, or repaired 622's. Then you could also start wondering if the grounds in the house are swapped around and feeding a surge back to the equipment.:(

I also believe like you and Jim5506 said. However, when you have 1 622, and then another that does the same thing, I kind of start expanding the possibilities.

But it could of been a bad batch of 622's, or repaired 622's. Then you could also start wondering if the grounds in the house are swapped around and feeding a surge back to the equipment.:(

Hmmmm................... The 942 plugged into the same outlet had very few problems. How would one check that??????????

On the electrical, I believe Radio Shack sells a gadget to test, but if you haven't had any electrical work done, it's probably okay.

I guess you had a 942 which worked okay, then upgraded to a 622 which had problems, and then got a replacement 622 which also has the same problems as the first 622.

Maybe its time to ask for a 3rd 622. Then if that is giving you problems, I would have to lean towards "bad LNBF," "bad switch," and/or "bad cable."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts