Cables used for Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyclone27

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I just set up an appointment to switch to Directv from Dish. I had a few questions on the cables used for the install.

I'm getting the whole-home set up with two HD DVRs & two HD receivers. I have one HD TV that has both component/hdmi inputs. One HD TV with component inputs. One standard def with component inputs & one old sd TV that only has a coax input.

First, do they normally use component cables for HD/whole-home installs?

Also, on the old TV with coax, can they connect an HD receiver to that? I was planning on getting another HD TV sometime. Do I need to get it before the install?

Thanks.

I just set up an appointment to switch to Directv from Dish. I had a few questions on the cables used for the install.

I'm getting the whole-home set up with two HD DVRs & two HD receivers. I have one HD TV that has both component/hdmi inputs. One HD TV with component inputs. One standard def with component inputs & one old sd TV that only has a coax input.

First, do they normally use component cables for HD/whole-home installs?

Also, on the old TV with coax, can they connect an HD receiver to that? I was planning on getting another HD TV sometime. Do I need to get it before the install?

Thanks.

There are NO coax outputs on the newer HD equipment.

Normally they like to use HDMI cables when it's available on your TV.
Component would be the next best solution.

But, we do carry RF Converters - - - connect HD composite output to RF Converter to RF Cable to TV. Or you can pick one up just in case.

You can use a vcr until you get an hdtv. Use the composite outputs of the receiver to the inputs on the vcr, then use the coax from the vcr to the tv. Remember to set the tv to the output channel of the vcr, either 3 or 4.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Has anyone had any problems with installers not wanting to connect HD receivers to SD TVs?

Has anyone had any problems with installers not wanting to connect HD receivers to SD TVs?
My installer said no problem. He provided the rf modulator and routed a coax through my crawl space. In my case, the analog tv in the bedroom is connected to the H24 in the living room.

Nope, had them do it on two of my SD TV's. I asked them to leave the HDMI and component cables that came with the boxes for when I upgraded the TV's this winter. No problems at all....

HDMI is becoming a problem with DTV HD receivers (all models--all tv's). I've been instructed to just use comp cables, as the HDMI are so problematic.

HDMI is becoming a problem with DTV HD receivers (all models--all tv's). I've been instructed to just use comp cables, as the HDMI are so problematic.

all models--all tv's HDMI just now becoming a problem after it's been just fine for all these years.
Never heard this one before.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)