Cablevision and QAM Tuner

Jenna

Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
Connecticut
In May 2010, Cablevison made the change over to all digital which means all tvs need a cable box in order to view any and all channels.

Well, I have a TV with a built in QAM Tuner and was able to view channels 2 through 21 with just the cable wire connected to the TV. Until yesterday. Now the tv says the digital channels are encrypted.

What the heck happened? Why all of a sudden doesn't the QAM Tuner pick up the channels? Did Cablevision do something to block the QAM Tuner?

The FCC lost some teeth and Cablevision is testing the waters I think. The requirement that at least the local channels and access channels be ITC is under serious challenge. So is the "lifeline" tier requirement, but at least that part is currently spelled out in federal law.

Jenna said:
Well, that's just great...

I don't understand why they couldn't leave the basic channels alone..

Well this way you are forced to buy or rent a box for every tv you want to use. They make more money and the consumer suffers.

It's time us consumers talk with our money if a company does something you dislike stop buying from them.

Cablevision is not encrypting Broadcast Basic channels in CT. They got a waiver to encrypt them in NYC but nowhere else. Try a rescan with your digital tuner.

If Cablevision didn't encrypt the Broadcast Basic channels, why doe they say "digital channel encrypted"?

Will rescanning bring the channels back?

They can certainly change the QAM channels at any time. I have had to rescan the QAM channels twice since the analog-sunset. I doubt that CV now really requires a cable box for broadcast basic. BB often has to be provided at ~$15/month, which leaves little money left for renting a cable-box.

FYI, Comcast is still broadcasting Broadcast-Basic in Analog.

There is also another alternative. TIVO can (with a $2/mo cable card and $7/mo 'CV line fee') decode all non-SDV signals (pay-per-view, some others). It can then redistribute to other TVs in your house. You need to look at a cost-effective solution (some configs aren't cost-effective at all), but some have found savings with TIVO (especially with 3-5 TVs in the house).

FYI

NY Stations still not working in CT

Two weeks ago we stopped receiving the NY station on both our QAM TV and Tivo. CV cam out last week and the tech said it was a CV "problem" but had no ETA for a fix. I called back this week, and the service reps still have no idea that there is an issue in CT. The idiots are sending out another tech today and obviously he won't be able to fix anything. This is ridiculous. Any one have the same issue with Tivo? If so, do you know of a fix?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)