Cablevision Board To Debate Voom Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horsnuts said:
I really hope E* buys it. I'm starved for more HD! :smug

Hey why don't you sign up for VOOM. I hear they have a great offer up to three receivers installed for 1$. It has all the HD your starving stomach can handle. :D

Walter L. said:
Now, yes I agree, it doesn't matter because it is publically available at Newsweek website. But at the time that I made that post it wasn't available anywhere else.
I suppose so, but were there not articles all day long with pieces of that memo in them. Seems to me it was already out there.

Scott Greczkowski said:
And any posting here is NOT under public domain, when you signed up you agreed that all posts here become property of SatelliteGuys, its like that on most every forum I know of.
You are correct but many people can view posts without being a member or signing up for or agreeing to anything. If the memo was posted and an unregistered reporter was watching at that time I wonder about that scenario.

what's important from the Reuters article

What the Reuters article confirms is that E* has been in the mix as far as purchasing Voom, and that those discussions are ongoing.

How it will end, nobody knows. We'll know very shortly how serious E* is about aquiring Voom.

My suspicion is that E* is interested in Voom, but not the RDBS. (They aren't in the broadcasting business, they're in the satellite TV business. Yes, there is a difference).

Great, E* will buy them and we will have 30 shopping channels plus bingo in HD!

FrankJo said:
They aren't in the broadcasting business, they're in the satellite TV business. Yes, there is a difference.
I though that E* was trying to get into the broadcasting buisness with the Charlie Chat :D

FrankJo said:
What the Reuters article confirms is that E* has been in the mix as far as purchasing Voom, and that those discussions are ongoing.

How it will end, nobody knows. We'll know very shortly how serious E* is about aquiring Voom.

My suspicion is that E* is interested in Voom, but not the RDBS. (They aren't in the broadcasting business, they're in the satellite TV business. Yes, there is a difference).

Again, here is a post from Scott about E* and V*:

"From what I know Dish does not want VOOM, (they did but not any more) also speaking with some folks from the FCC it is a good posibility if Dish tried to buy VOOM the FCC would Vito it. They want a true 3 DBS option in the United States. VOOM has laid that groundwork down."

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpos...452&postcount=2

The spelling errors are all his. :p

Pretty amazing...
Thread has deteriorated to reposting reposted posts of reposted articles and memos.
Pretty much unreadable at this point...and the funny thing is that nothing that anyone posted here is going to impact the outcome at all.

Sit back, enjoy your VOOM, and relax :)

Lob

TheDeal.com

Greenfield: Dolan to buy Voom?
by Peter Lauria
Updated 06:12 PM EST, Jan-20-2005

According to Greenfield: "The Dolans might have enough liquid capital to acquire Voom from Cablevision (sale is likely to be under $200 million), but it is hard to imagine they have adequate liquid capital to fund Voom's ongoing operating losses. Unless they have third-party capital lined up, we wonder whether it might imply a greater willingness to sell the core cable system assets."

Sources said bringing in a private equity backer in this situation is unlikely since Voom is a cash burner rather than a cash generator. Private equity firms typically shy away from startup companies, opting instead for cash-cow established companies that can be leveraged up.

Rumors have abounded for years about a possible deal with Time Warner Inc. for Cablevision's systems. But such a transaction may not be necessary for Chuck Dolan to get his hands on Voom. One source said: "Chuck's a very well connected guy strategically. And there's a number of companies out there right now looking for a video solution."

Chief among them, according to this person, are regional phone companies, which have set up or are exploring partnerships with EchoStar and DirecTV on high-speed Internet access and television delivery to cell phones. Companies such as Viacom Inc. and Walt Disney Co., which have broadcast television assets but no pay-television distribution system à la Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., could also be enticed to link up with Voom.

If neither of those scenarios materializes, a wild-card scenario could have Chuck Dolan taking out a personal loan to fund Voom. After all, he does hold about $3 billion of Cablevision stock that he can use as collateral

Bloomberg.com
Cablevision's Dolan Family May Buy Satellite-TV Unit (Update2)

The money-losing Rainbow DBS unit would probably sell for less than $200 million, Greenfield said in an interview from his New York office. He rates Bethpage, New York-based Cablevision as ```buy.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)