Cablevision Installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rutgerskid

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
My roomates and I are looking to buy an LCD tv and have Cablevision HD DVR Service in our new dormroom. Our building is wired for Cablevision, so that is not an issue. I live in an area of Cablevision's network, that you don't "HAVE" to have a set top box, in fact, my family has never had a set top box. Anyway, I was just looking to order it online, but you have to enter installation times. Is there a way, that we could just join up, and go pick up the box? Since I am sure that there is an installation fee for setting up the box? Or is it that since we will be new customer's we have to get it installed first? Also, what do they exactly do during an installation.

Any first time STB info would be helpful.

Looking to get the 32" Samsung LNS-51D or 37" Westy...

set up your time for installation, check to see if they have any specials running (ie. free installation, free upgrade, box, etc.) if not, there will be a charge for the installation which should include the installation of your HD HVR box. as for no set top box, unless your tv has Cable Card access, you will need a box for VOD, HD services (locals in HD maybe exempt), multi channel premiums, multi music channels (ie. Music Choice, DMX, some local digital FM/AM stations) and digital sport, or expanded digital basics. as for what they do during installation depends on what's involved. some installations involve running a service drop over head or underground, in your case, your in a dorm so everything should be prewired and just needing connected to the tap. some companies charge the same across the board for a drop and your one tv wired or not, others may charge half price if it is already wired from the tap to the tv. every company varies in policies concerning installation. you can order on line and wait till they get there to answer your questions or call and get the answers to your questions before placing the order.

Last edited:
Rutgerskid said:
My roomates and I are looking to buy an LCD tv and have Cablevision HD DVR Service in our new dormroom.

For an initial installation of an HD box, CV must verify in person that you have an HD tv. The boxes are expensive and they just don't want to give them out to everyone.

Are you even eligible to get a cable box? It could be that Rutgers has a deal with CV to just provide broadcast basic service and that you may not be able to get anything else. You might want to verify that with Rutgers first as any upgrades may have to go through them.

Yeah, thanks for the info guys. I've been watching this board for a while, so I thought I'd finally jump in. I live in Rutgers' newest apartment/dorm building in downtown New Brunswick. Rutgers has it's own TV company per se. Actually they are like 3rd or 4th in the nation when it comes to college tv networks/companies...But every room in our apt. has two sets of jacks, one for RUTV and one for Cablevision. I'm going to have the HDBox for almost all of our TV Viewing, but we will still have to switch sources, so we can watch the Rutgers produced stations.

If you know the area, it's the building on the corner of New/George Streets; Rockoff Hall.

we do service rutgers, the charge for the tech to come out is $9.95. If you would like pm me the address and I can check it out for you might be able to get you a sooner date.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts