CableVision vs DirecTV picture quility

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
This is not intended to be a bash CV or D* thread....

I have been wanting to switch to DirecTV for awhile now, from CableVision (Litchfield Market) mainly for more HD channels and more channels on all of our TV's for less $$$. As it is CV keeps moving channels to digital only - which is fine except they charge so much for a DVR and I already Tivo's and IMHO the quility of using digital STB with a Tivo is too poor and still costly.

The Picture Quality with CV on HD channels is GREAT (we mostly watch locals NBC and FOX, it appears they just turned CBS and INHD). PQ on standard channels is so so not good and not bad - on our 50" 1080P set they look washed out but watch-able.

For people who have used CV and have witched to D* what do you think? Do the new MPEG4 local channels in HD look close to what CV can provide?

Thanks in advance,
John

I currently have both Directv and Cablevision. Yes Directv is still using HD-Lite on most of their HD channels, but Only on the MPEG-2. If you get your locals via MPEG-4 they currently send these at Full resolution, only problem is you wont get My9-HD, CW-HD or PBS-HD. Directv Only sends CBS, NBC, FOX, and ABC in MPEG-4.

In order to get the other 3 you would need to get it OTA,
The HR20 and H20 both do OTA.

In my opinion there is No Difference in Picture quality between Cablevision HD and Directv MPEG-4 HD, and there is only a slight difference with the MPEG-2, cablevision does look a bit better than MPEG-2 from Directv.

Directv is Supposed to add "Up to" 100 Hd channels by the end of 2007 (probably more like 10-20) All of these new offerings will be sent by MPEG-4, and eventually all their MPEG-2 channels will be switched over to MPEG-4

In conclusion If you are primarily interested in Local HD, there is virtually no difference in picture quality between CablevisionHD and Directv HD

You will be very dissapointed with the HD picture quality of DirecTv channels compare to Cablevision. It is like night and day with Cablevision winning on the PQ department.

You will be very dissapointed with the HD picture quality of DirecTv channels compare to Cablevision. It is like night and day with Cablevision winning on the PQ department.
As I said in my first post its the Newer MPEG-4 thats is comparable to Cablevisions HD, the Older MPEG-2 is the one that uses HD-Lite and is worse than cablevision. Eventually Directv will convert All MPEG-2 to MPEG-4. Right now just the Local network-HD is on MPEG-4

well as it stands now CV only offers me three HD Channels I "want" to watch (all local NBC, CBS and FOX - no ABC)

So HDLite is better then no HD, correct?

well as it stands now CV only offers me three HD Channels I "want" to watch (all local NBC, CBS and FOX - no ABC)

So HDLite is better then no HD, correct?

I assume you are in Litchfield, CT. Last time I checked D* didn't offer all of the CT locals either. You better double check.

I assume you are in Litchfield, CT. Last time I checked D* didn't offer all of the CT locals either. You better double check.

correct they (DirecTV) also does not carry ABC in my area...

But as long as the locals in MPG4 look good enough I'll save money by switching and will have more channels in all of the rooms. As it apears CV is moving more stations to digital only.

I just switched from Cablevision to Dish....

I was also worried about HD quality on SAT vs Cable.

I have to say that on stations that really do HD well ( iNHD, 13HD ) I see almost no difference (then again I'm using the mpeg4 VIP622).....

So I'm saving assload of money and geting almost 35 hd channels now.

Def switch, but I'd go dish instead of direct.

Can you actually request to get the MPEG4 feeds or is it the luck of the draw what you would get as a new subscriber?

You'll get the MPEG4 & MPEG2 for NY Locals if you have a 5LNB and H20 or HR20 receiver. If outiside NYC DMA, then you'll receive MPEG4 for LIL-HD if carried by D*. Still need the equipment above though. If a new customer, you will receive the new equipment that can receive MPEG4, 5LNB & H20 or HR20.