Cabling Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jason Sewing

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
sand diego
Trying to help my neighbor out here and need some help. Current setup is the single line swm dish. The dish is located on his garage and the single cable comes into the house and plugs into the power pack which then feeds into the dtv splitter which all the receivers connect to. No genies, just regular hd and hd dvr receivers. Now he wants to add a receiver in the garage. So is it possible to somehow split the signal before it goes to the house to add a receiver in the garage or is the best way just to add another dish on garage just for that tv? If it's possible, what equipment is needed? Another power pack, special splitter, etc??? Thanks for any info, just trying to avoid installing another dish for the tv in the garage. I do not want to bury another cable back to the house. Thanks

Sounds like he has SWiM install. You just need the green splitter. The side with the two jacks should have one that is red. Make the red goes to the existing wiring to the house. And the non-red to the garage.

It has to come off of the existing Splitter that is installed. The only other thing is that if his equipment is very outdated, he may be better at going with the new Genie clients that use WiFi instead of Coax.

Depending on where that splitter is, along with the SWiM, depends on how easy or hard it will be to get the Coax pulled to the Garage.

???? Seems I have gotten two different answers. One says I can split before it goes into the house, the other says it has to come of the existing splitter. Well, to come off the existing isn't going to happen because it is in the basement and I would have to bury cable all the way back to the garage. If that's the only way, he'll have to add another dish on the garage for it to be the easiest.

To be clear, current setup has the single cable running from the dish on the garage into the basement of the house. In the basement it goes into the SWiM power adapter and then into the splitter. From the splitter it goes out to the receivers. I am trying to avoid running a cable from the splitter all the way back to the garage which require burying the cable outside. I am wanting to split the cable closer to the dish on the garage to connect to a receiver out there. Is that possible? Can you run a SWiM power pack on each end? Any other ideas or can someone confirm?

Is it only 1 recvr in the house and you want one in the garage ?

IF so, you could get by with a splitter at the dish/garage ... but the current coax has to go to.the red side of the splitter back to the house.
Also, you do not want a 2nd Power insert or in the set up.

How many receivers in the house, what type are they, and what sort of splitter (how many ways) are you using in the house?

directv splitter in house, the one that came with the dish. I think it has 4 or 5 outs on it. green sticker. Most his receivers are hd dvrs, a couple just hd. has 4 or 5 in house.

directv splitter in house, the one that came with the dish. I think it has 4 or 5 outs on it. green sticker. Most his receivers are hd dvrs, a couple just hd. has 4 or 5 in house.
OK, this upping on the number of tuners you have in the home changes things as there's a limit.

So please be specific of the receiver models that are in the home.

Yes, you need to tell us exactly what receivers or DVRs are currently connected

What about placing the SWM at the Garage with a 2 way splitter. Connect the garage unit to the line from the splitter, connect the line from the house to the other side of the splitter. Depending on distance from house to garage would be the only biggest concern.

What about placing the SWM at the Garage with a 2 way splitter. Connect the garage unit to the line from the splitter, connect the line from the house to the other side of the splitter. Depending on distance from house to garage would be the only biggest concern.
Thats pretty much what I suggested, except that won't work because he's got about 4-5 recvrs in the house and doesn't want to run anymore lines from the dish to the house.

My solution would work had there only been 1 recvr in the house ... we didn't have any idea how many were there when I posted.

Thats pretty much what I suggested, except that won't work because he's got about 4-5 recvrs in the house and doesn't want to run anymore lines from the dish to the house.

My solution would work had there only been 1 recvr in the house ... we didn't have any idea how many were there when I posted.
The only other option in this kind of situation. Allows you to use your current network to allow the network to be extended out to the garage, along with extra ports. There are others like this out there that just use a stand alone Ethernet, which you can actually use MoCA between the units, so that you can run Coax between the units, vs. Cat-6. http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8123&seq=1&format=2

81231.jpg

We still don't know exactly how many DVRs and receivers are in the house. We might be up against a tuner limitation, in which case getting an SWM13 LNB from ebay might be the solution.. Also the distance from the house to the garage.

He will only have 3 in the house he said. The 4th he is moving to the garage. This is the splitter has in the house, along with the power pack thing.

msplit4r1-03_2_directv_4_way_swm_splitter__47799_1294726584_1280_1280.gif

Here is a drawing of what he has going on. Is it possible to hook up his receiver in garage without running a cable back to the splitter in the house or adding a 2nd dish on garage. If so, what does he need?

Attachments

• scan (2).pdf
    73.2 KB · Views: 178
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)