Cabling, what would you do for long runs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I run my own business doing mostly network/server infrastructure and web/application developement along with day to day support.

We've had a few customers here and there inquire about TV's and the convergence of media and computers is coming if its not already here.

I've done small setups before for waiting rooms in doctors offices and the like but those are short runs, 25-30 feet and TV's located at normal height level.

I was asked to quote out a bar where the TV's will be 15-20ft in the air and a LONG way from the boxes. They are going cable for their feeds and want all of the boxes to be at a central location.

The runs are between 25 and 90 feet. 5 flat screen's and a projector.

HDMI with repeaters is one option but with odd cable lengths we're going to end up over/under in some cases and since we cannnot make our own on site its tough to order the cable a head of time.

HDMI over Cat5E is another option, but thats close to 1000' ft of cable since we have to run 2 pairs but I can cut it to length and make my own cables.

Component is option three but I'm having a hard time finding out how you terminate and make your own cables.

We make a lot of our own cables now but not for A/V.

What would the experts suggest for these lengths of runs?

TV's are 1080P LCD's that are going to be fed with Comcast cable, the projector will probably be a 720p depending on costs. 3 42's, 2 52's, and a 100 inch screen.

Simplest method is to make my own component cables but I do worry what happens if they turn on HDCP sometime in the future then the component is useless.

Thanks

Most every install I've been a part of have decided where the TV's will be and the boxes will be ahead of time - so that you can get an idea of actual length needed (and if they weren't then it didn't really matter).

Here's a link to a 100' HDMI cable, if you need it that long. Hopefully you'd only need one that long and the rest shorter.
For only $91.40 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDMI Tin-Plated Copper CL2 Rated (for In-Wall Installation) Cable (22AWG) - 100ft (Gold Plated Connectors) | Professional 22AWG HDMI Male to Male Cables

I don't see why you can't order ahead of time if you do your homework.

I'm not an expert, but that's what I'd look into. Espeically if you can get the runs for $100 or less each. Does Comcast cable have a fitting setup for HDMI with that many viewing devices?

I know the lengths of the runs but I worry about putting repeaters in a enviroment like that.

The HDMI-CAT5 adapters are sold out, everywhere...I'm looking...

I know the lengths of the runs but I worry about putting repeaters in a enviroment like that.

The HDMI-CAT5 adapters are sold out, everywhere...I'm looking...
If the repeaters can repeat the signal up to 100' then wouldn't it just work to not have one and run a straight HDMI at max of 100'?

Also, the HDMI over CAT5 cables below are not sold out.
Single Port HDMI over CAT5e/Cat6 Extender, Dual Wall Plate Kit

That might be a cheaper way to go with a 1000' box of cat5e or cat6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)