calibration help

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Make sure the Compass and GPS are turned ON on the device you are using (or Check-marked for use by this App). Then, follow these instructions while in satellite pointing mode:

Oh yeah, like any compass, it's affected by local magnetic fields. IF you are too close to metal (like a dish), it'll act wacky.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks primestar31. Also make sure that device is not in a case which affects the compass - such as flip covers which contain magnets.

jamescbarrow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 22, 2012
Guyton, Georgia, United States
It is still doing it, I can point my phone to the southwest and it wont show satellites but after I pull my battery it will work fine. For one or two uses then it does it again, tried calibrating, it does no good.

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
It is still doing it, I can point my phone to the southwest and it wont show satellites but after I pull my battery it will work fine. For one or two uses then it does it again, tried calibrating, it does no good.
Maybe try downloading one of the Compass apps, and see if that holds correct calibration. It's not typically a problem of the Dishpointer App when this happens, it's a setting OR firmware problem issue, OR hardware problem with the particular phone that's being used. Alternately, there could be some sort of spurious magnetic field problem in the particular area that you are using it. Also, some phones work fine in Portrait mode, but not so well in Landscape mode.

ftageekyyc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
The handheld devices are never going to give you a rifle shot look at the satellite, they will only get you in the right general direction. They are useful for LOS only in my opinion.

Do you have another working dish you can stand behind and use as a source of ground truth?

If setting up a fixed dish, go to Dishpointer.com and get the values it shows for your location, setup the dish for all the correct elevation, skew etc. then mount it loosely on a solidly mounted plumb mast. Stand behind the dish with your phone and eyeball where your phone is aiming. I bet your phone will be pointing you left or right of the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)