California Floods and Dam Problems???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Just wondering if Titanium or anyone else is in that area?

They've gone from no rain for a number of years to YUGE amounts of snow and floods, with more rain on the way very soon. How about it Brian, are you or anyone else near any of this stuff? :rain

As the crow flies, I am 44 miles South East of Oroville Dam and 1000' higher. Absolutely no danger here, unlike the Sacramento valley. There are a few SatelliteGuy members that have been directly affected by the dam breech warnings. The Central valley is now hundreds of square miles of standing water with slow absorption and some drainage to the ocean. In Northern California, we will need several more years of these extraordinary water events to replenish the aquifers, but the surface has the appearance of complete recovery... PLUS!

While we have had significantly higher precipitation this year in Meadow Vista, we are located in the Sierra foothills and minimal effect from run-off unless near a stream or canal. The ground has reached saturation and experiencing many local road and highway closures due to slides and sink holes. Strange to get excited when we see the sun for a day or two! Like living in the NW again! :)

Our home is on the banks of the Tuolumne river. They just opened the floodgates at Lake Don Pedro Dam about an hour ago. It is the first time since 1997 and only the second time ever. I don't expect the water level to reach the house but further down stream in Modesto, more flooding is very likely.

Last edited:
Been interesting watching chopper and drone video of the flooding down that way. Have relatives in Sacramento, they are ok but aren't liking all the rain at all. We were planning a visit to the area this winter but with all the weather issues we thought it best to stay put for the time being. Winter here has been pretty mellow other than lots of rain and snow... which means we'll likely be involved in flooding here in a couple of months too when it all melts.

Strange to get excited when we see the sun for a day or two! Like living in the NW again! :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I worked at the Trojan nuke plant in Rainier, Oregon doing refueling outage work back in the late 80s, early 90s and I pretty much carried an umbrella to work every day. That area was depressing IMHO because it rained so much. Didn't seem to bother the locals though.

Ennywho, was wondering and glad to find out you are OK, and hope the rest of our SatGuys friends are as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)