Call from Dish (I think) last night

bsk116

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Too frikin far north
I received an "out of area" call last night which I usually ignore, but the wife picked up and informed me it was Dish Network. The person calling had a very Asian accent and I could barely understand him, but the reason for calling was to inform me that my 211K in my bedroom needed to be replaced. I've been a customer for guess how long? Yes, about two years.
I was presented with three options: Receive a replacement 211K and everything stays the same including my bill, receive a 611 with an upfront charge of $75 and $10 off my bill for 24 months (of course commit to two more years), or thirdly, receive a sling loaded 922 with an upfront charge of $100 and $10 off my bill for 24 months.
I asked the rep if all 211's were being replaced and said no, new customers with 211 receiver 6 to 8 months into the contract would not need to be replaced, only older units.
I have had very good luck with Dish so far and was not considering leaving, so I agreed to the 611 option as It would be convenient for my wife and I to view recorded shows in our bedroom.
I had to provide my credit card number for the obligatory $1.00 temporary charge (which by the way triggered my credit card security feature) and set up an date. I told the rep I could easily handle the swap over but said a technician had to install, plus he would take the 211 with him.
My only reservation is the reliability of the 611 and it seems odd that Dish would call about this which makes me suspect fraud, but I asked the rep for a confirmation email and I also checked my account online and everything was as agreed upon. He also gave me his phone number, extension and hours I could reach him. Also I believe my monthly programming would be frozen for 24 months.
What do you guys think? Could I have done better? I forgot to mention that the first thing the rep asked me to do was turn on the receiver and hit the menu button twice and read the unit and card numbers.

Sounds like they got you in to another 2 year contract, which was probably the goal.

And your monthly programming fees WILL NOT be frozen for 2 years. (unless there is some kind of new program)

Probably should have asked these questions BEFORE you committed.

Was this actually DISH or a contractor/third party??

Like I said, I have no problem with a new commitment, and I can confirm my appoint when I log onto my Dish account, so I assume it must be Dish. I can always cancel, my install isn't until next Sunday.

You need to contact a DIRT member to see if this is legit. Those on duty are listed in RED at the bottom of the Forum page.
Also agree with Yaz...NO two year freeze from NOW...they were frozen for two years LAST February.

You need to contact a DIRT member to see if this is legit. Those on duty are listed in RED at the bottom of the Forum page.
Also agree with Yaz...NO two year freeze from NOW...they were frozen for two years LAST February.
i agree.

I've had a lot of problems with third parties that Dish has given access to customer information. Basically shady resellers that may not do things in your best interest. They'll pull stuff like signing you up as a new customer and canceling your old account.

Sadly there's no way to verify if someone on the phone is a real Dish network representative. Dish should work on that.

Like I said, I have no problem with a new commitment, and I can confirm my appoint when I log onto my Dish account, so I assume it must be Dish. I can always cancel, my install isn't until next Sunday.
There is no good reason to go from a 211k to 612 except the number of tuners for sat. Contact DIRT like KAB said to see what is going on. Sounds like a boiler room call to me.

If you would not minding sending me your account # or phone#, I would like to review the notes on your account to ensure the upgrade was done correctly for you. Just let me know, thanks!

My guess is the reciver phoned home and dish saw it was having a issue. I have heard that this is common practice if the box is on broadband or phoneline as the reciver will send health reports to dish and flag as needed befor the box blows

Why is Dish doing away with the 211. It seems to me they would do away with the 311 and older Mpeg2 receivers first.

My guess is the reciver phoned home and dish saw it was having a issue. I have heard that this is common practice if the box is on broadband or phoneline as the reciver will send health reports to dish and flag as needed befor the box blows

I think you are right. The receiver was complaining to Dish about something. Dish just called to replace the unit, and since they were replacing the unit anyways, just see if the customer wanted something else.

I think you are right. The receiver was complaining to Dish about something. Dish just called to replace the unit, and since they were replacing the unit anyways, just see if the customer wanted something else.
I really, and I mean REALLY, don't like this setup. If a receiver is having issues, the user at least should get some kind of on-screen message to that fact, instead of just a phone-home to Dish and then what amounts to a cold call from Dish to an unsuspecting customer. In that case, I wouldn't even take the call, let alone give my CC# to someone who had initiated the call. If the OP had previously known that the receiver was complaining about issues prior to the call, he wouldn't have had to make this thread asking if the call was legit.

dahenny said:
Yep, and it's bothersome that the rep wanted the op to read the receiver numbers to him. The rep should already know/have that info. And my CC#...right.;)

Not your CC#. it may be in the system, but it is hidden from view. Just imagine if everybodies CC# were accesable at all times without Customer approval for uts use. Not everybody monitors every single transaction on thier statement. But the reciever numbers should have been accessable.

Yep, and it's bothersome that the rep wanted the op to read the receiver numbers to him. The rep should already know/have that info. And my CC#...right.;)

It makes sense to me that they would want to confirm the numbers...making sure their account info is correct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts