Caller ID Feature Lost?

Yes616

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Poinciana Place, FL
Hmm.. I just noticed this.

My cell phone is set up in a way where if I call a "land line", the name of the person also shows up with the number. I have a ViP722 hooked to a phone line but for some reason the name does not show up anymore. Instead the screen on the TV shows "New York Call" and it still also shows the number. I know the name used to come up on the screen.

I was ready to call my cell provider and ask about this as I thought I (actually we as the whole family had this) but I thought I'd try one more thing. Using my cell phone, I called the house phone one more time and see what the house telephone display was saying. The name was there!

So now the phone sees everything available about the caller but the Dish ViP722 no longer does. It only shows the number in this case and what I said above. The receiver still does show the names when a caller using a land line calls.

I am thinking this feature was lost in some software update? As far as I am concerned, it seems more like a software downgrade.

Anyone else notice this? I liked this feature.

Using my cell phone, I called the house phone one more time and see what the house telephone display was saying. The name was there!
Do you happen to have a cordless phone at home with a directory? Just like your cell phone, the name in the cordless phone's directory will show up when it recognizes the number.

^^ What he said... if my home phone has a # stored in it w/ a name, it shows it, but my 622 only shows "wireless caller" & the #... now... that's for Verizon... ATT cell calls show the name & # both...

my 722 still shows the names.

Of all wireless callers? As I stated earlier, there is no problem when a lind line caller calls.

Its your (Land) phone carrier and the database they are using the pull the Caller ID name data from the master database

Why would I have this feature earlier and not anymore? I think it's the Dish receiver software version.

Do you happen to have a cordless phone at home with a directory? Just like your cell phone, the name in the cordless phone's directory will show up when it recognizes the number.

Yes and yes for some time now. But the Dish receiver is not plugged in through the telephone itself so I don't see why this would affect the receiver. I have telephone service through TWC so the telephone line is plugged into a router. Then the signal gets split where one line goes to the receiver and the other to the telephone.

I called Dish tech support and the technician did not know what to tell me. He, like myself said it should still work if it worked before and that I may be right about the receiver software. He then filed a report all about it.

Of all wireless callers? As I stated earlier, there is no problem when a lind line caller calls.
It depends on a combination of the wireless carrier and the CNAM directory (more specifically, the Line Database LiDB) that your phone provider uses.

Why would I have this feature earlier and not anymore? I think it's the Dish receiver software version.
Based on it displaying "New York Call" I would actually give it a < 1% chance of it being a Dish receiver issue. I have a 722 and I just ran a few tests of sending in a call from my asterisk box just pushing number information to my Linksys ATA and leaving the name field blank. The 722 simply displays the number -- it doesn't appear to have an internal DB to relate which area codes are linked to which geographical areas to be able to populate any kind of name information.

Yes and yes for some time now. But the Dish receiver is not plugged in through the telephone itself so I don't see why this would affect the receiver.
It wouldn't affect your receiver, it will affect how the name shows up on your home phone. Look at how your cell phone works -- you only get number data sent in from the carriers, it's not until you have a name in the phone's internal directory that you will start to see name information presented.

You want to run the same test? Delete your cell phone number out of your cordless phone's directory and call your home number again. I bet it won't have the name data.

I called Dish tech support and the technician did not know what to tell me. He, like myself said it should still work if it worked before and that I may be right about the receiver software. He then filed a report all about it.
To understand why this would change you have to understand how CallerID works. When a call is sent into a phone company, only the number information is attached to the call. To be able to deliver number & name information to customers, the telephone company needs to look up the name in a Line Database so that it can deliver both CLID (number) and CNAM (name) information when it rings your phone. This started off as being one big database that all phone companies used, but over the last few years it has spread to at least a dozen different databases with varying degrees of accuracy of the information. VoIP providers like Vonage use a version of the directory that has significantly lower use cost, but isn't updated as frequently. To compensate for the lack of regular updates, the directory managers will often remove high-churn numbers from the directory (ie cell phones) and replace them with generic location reference IDs. Depending on volume, queries against an actual Verizon / LEC LiDB can run as high as 5 cents per call, whereas the annual published directory data can be had for as little as 0.005 cents per call. (1000x less expensive) That reduction in price is a compelling reason for many non-LEC phone companies (ie, Vonage, TWC, Comcast, Cox, etc) to change to the less complete directory.

Hmm.. I just noticed this.

My cell phone is set up in a way where if I call a "land line", the name of the person also shows up with the number. I have a ViP722 hooked to a phone line but for some reason the name does not show up anymore. Instead the screen on the TV shows "New York Call" and it still also shows the number. I know the name used to come up on the screen.

I was ready to call my cell provider and ask about this as I thought I (actually we as the whole family had this) but I thought I'd try one more thing. Using my cell phone, I called the house phone one more time and see what the house telephone display was saying. The name was there!

So now the phone sees everything available about the caller but the Dish ViP722 no longer does. It only shows the number in this case and what I said above. The receiver still does show the names when a caller using a land line calls.

I am thinking this feature was lost in some software update? As far as I am concerned, it seems more like a software downgrade.

Anyone else notice this? I liked this feature.
This has been a long time issue, that I have be noticing for a long time with many devices such as telco receiving devices, DVR's, my VoIP phone service, stand alone CallerID units, and that it's the phone company not handing off cellular info as they should unless that caller has service with that telco if they have cell service. I get complete CID from any Qwest Cellular phone, because Qwest is also our big Telco here. All other cell calls come in either: city, state; unavailable; nothing; just the phone number or Out of Area. But the complete CID does squeek through every so often. We use the CID on all our boxes instead of the phones themselves. It's become a way of life.

I have had this conversation with my VoIP company that did not realize it. They checked into what I was saying and got confirmation from there baby bell. They say with their connection contract with the telco that this is not suppose to happen and will be watching closely. Sorry, that won't do any good. That's how I lost my 10Mbps SDSL and 4 digital phone lines ($125 p/m) with SprintION, 1998-2002, because Qwest, the baby bell, would not grant right of way dictated by law. It was easier for Sprint to kill the service than fight for their legal right. He who has the most money and biggest lawyers does as they please. There is a thread in this forum accusing DISH of this very attitude.