Status
Please reply by conversation.
hdtvtechno said:
Caller ID on H20 not working after firmware upgrade to 0F03
when call comes in, says
"Incoming call
Contact your local phone company to subscribe"
But i do subscribe to caller id, WTF ?

I have the new firmware upgrade and my caller id is working fine.

Chip

hdtvtechno said:
Caller ID on H20 not working after firmware upgrade to 0F03
when call comes in, says
"Incoming call
Contact your local phone company to subscribe"
But i do subscribe to caller id, WTF ?

I've had that happen every so often, and I sub also, after the message,the next one works fine for me, and continues to work.

Jimbo

I have the same problem. Just got my H20 Friday and caller ID does not work. It tells me to call my local telephone company and sign up. My other receivers and all my telephones work fine for caller ID however. I will call D* today and ask for a replacement H20.

They also left the mounting pole for the old dish bolted to my roof because the installer "did not have anything to plug the holes" if he removed it. Anyone else still have their old pole mounted or did everyone with roof mounted antennas have them removed?

I will also complain about the fact you cannot deselect 480i once you accidentally select it on initial install as an option.

billt1111 said:
I have the same problem. Just got my H20 Friday and caller ID does not work. It tells me to call my local telephone company and sign up. My other receivers and all my telephones work fine for caller ID however. I will call D* today and ask for a replacement H20.
They also left the mounting pole for the old dish bolted to my roof because the installer "did not have anything to plug the holes" if he removed it. Anyone else still have their old pole mounted or did everyone with roof mounted antennas have them removed?
I will also complain about the fact you cannot deselect 480i once you accidentally select it on initial install as an option.

if you switched from dishnet or if you upgraded to a newer dish for hd and they had to move the dish location to get a line of sight. the old mounting arm (pole) is your responsibility, not the techs. most of the time ill remove the upright pipe, but NEVER the foot. if it leaked, IM responsible. you remove it , you are. it is the liability factor in our sue happy culture.

Yes I can certainly understand why he (they) would not want to remove the dish foot. They did not need to move the dish. The new one is mounted 12" away from the first one. There are LOTS of things in my job I do not want to do and are risky or a real pain. But to leave it to me, the non-expert homeowner, seems oddly inappropriate. They do this for a living as professionals. I now have to 1) call a roofer, or 2) buy a ladder tall enough to reach the dish and guess at how best to remove the foot and plug the holes? These are expenses and risks to an mpeg4 upgrade I was not prepared for.

Has anyone with a roof mounted antenna had the installer remove the old mounting pole bolted to the roof?

billt1111 said:
Has anyone with a roof mounted antenna had the installer remove the old mounting pole bolted to the roof?

I requested he leave it. It's been leak-proof for 10 years. Why mess with a good track record? :)

billt1111 said:
Yes I can certainly understand why he (they) would not want to remove the dish foot. They did not need to move the dish. The new one is mounted 12" away from the first one. There are LOTS of things in my job I do not want to do and are risky or a real pain. But to leave it to me, the non-expert homeowner, seems oddly inappropriate. They do this for a living as professionals. I now have to 1) call a roofer, or 2) buy a ladder tall enough to reach the dish and guess at how best to remove the foot and plug the holes? These are expenses and risks to an mpeg4 upgrade I was not prepared for.
Can you see that foot from the ground??? Are you really that worried about that foot??? There seems to be more than a "REAL" concern here... How do you know that the mast is not larger than the one removed???
There are too many unanswered questions here Bilt1111, and you really don't have to be concerned about that mast foot. At least your roof won't leak... We always ask the customer to sign our agreement, that put the responsibility and liability on them, so for a few extra dollars and you signing the agreement, the deal would have been done... Did they offer that???

Sorry. I hope I didn't offend anyone. Thanks for asking. I just did not expect a legacy problem from the de-install. The remaining foot has the original 2 foot mast still connected. Only the dish and LNB are gone.

My homeowner's association is the one I am worried about. If they say something (they watch for violations like this) I will have to remove it. I have a right to mount a satellite dish. I do not have the right to keep misc mounting hardware in view. If they say something I will have to pay to remove and repair it. It sounds like a $500 proposition to get a roofer to repair it professionally, I would guess.

I did not sign an agreement to mount the new dish with D*. I did agree to 2 more years with D*. I also signed the installer's sheet saying that the new dish and H20 receiver were installed and working. Nothing was signed or agreed to about the old foot and mast. The issue was just ignored by D* and the installer.

If there is absolutely no one having their old mast and foot removed then I guess I will just have to take it as it is since I don't have the time or energy to swim upstream. However, when the momentum of the new programming on the new D* satellites starts accellerating I cannot imagine millions of roof installs over the next few years without anyone ever dealing with this issue seriously. I guess its possible that millions of D* rooftop mount subscribers will just not care.

Last edited:
The remaining foot has the original 2 foot mast still connected. Only the dish and LNB are gone. My homeowner's association is the one I am worried about. If they say something (they watch for violations like this) I will have to remove it. I have a right to mount a satellite dish. I do not have the right to keep misc mounting hardware in view. If they say something I will have to pay to remove and repair it. It sounds like a $500 proposition to get a roofer to repair it professionally, I would guess.

With the proper instruction, you should be able to at least remove the mast portion. However if you desire to have the entire thing removed, just find a licensed and bonded handyman instead of a "roofer" and you will stay well under that $500 mark. Be sure to ask for a written guarantee as part of the estimate process.

The new dish falls within the protected FCC guidelines so no HOA can force you to remove it because of it size or looks.

Now if you fail to send in any required HOA paperwork informing them of property changes, which most HOA's have, that would be your fault that could lead to the legal removal request, but it would be because of that, not a "HOA dish rule".

If you expect the LAW to protect you, you must follow the HOA bylaws to the letter. I love my HOA and fully understand why they are desired, although there are a few bad, bully ones.

Last edited:
I am happy to report my Caller ID is working again on my H20

Know what fixed it ?

On monday there was a house on fire on the next block down, my mom heard that the cause of the house fire, that it an electrical fire, power company had to come, and had to shut the power off for the entire block to contain the fire.
so my mom unpluged all of my electronics stuff from the power outlet, HDTV, H20, etc :D

When all this was over, i plugged everything back in, and powered up my H20
then when a call came in, the caller id was working, showed the name and number :up

hdtvtechno said:
I am happy to report my Caller ID is working again on my H20
Know what fixed it ?
On monday there was a house on fire on the next block down, my mom heard that the cause of the house fire, that it an electrical fire, power company had to come, and had to shut the power off for the entire block to contain the fire.
so my mom unpluged all of my electronics stuff from the power outlet, HDTV, H20, etc :D
When all this was over, i plugged everything back in, and powered up my H20
then when a call came in, the caller id was working, showed the name and number :up

How long did you leave it unplugged? I left mine unplugged overnight, about 8 hours, with no change.

Officially, the Caller ID feature isn't meant to work on the H20 yet. So I would recommend not calling Technical Support - because we don't have anything on it.

We are planning on a future firmware upgrade to fully enable the caller ID on the H20 - as well as work out the bugs, such as "Incoming Call - Call your telco to subscribe," and the like. Patience...

100144618 said:
Officially, the Caller ID feature isn't meant to work on the H20 yet. So I would recommend not calling Technical Support - because we don't have anything on it.
We are planning on a future firmware upgrade to fully enable the caller ID on the H20 - as well as work out the bugs, such as "Incoming Call - Call your telco to subscribe," and the like. Patience...

Interesting. I appreciate your comments. They are a little difficult to swallow since the feature works on 99% of all the H20s and after 5 calls to tier 2 support and speaking with 10 indiviuals and 2 supervisors, and wasting 4 hours of everyone's time (so far) on the issue not a single person has indicated that it is not supposed to work. The best they have come with so far is 1) unplug the H20 for 8 hours, and 2) I am not smart enough to enable it properly in the menus and if I would just do it right it would work. What were you given as an indication that it was not supposed to work? Is there anything else that I should not report as a bug as well? Thanks for the info.

Old Mounts...

billt1111 said:

My installer took the arm off but left the mounting plate. He indicated that as an authorized DirecTV installer, not an actual DirecTV employee, he's directly responsible (unless you sign a waiver) for any residual damage to the roof as a result of the installation. Since he didn't put the previous two dishes / mounts on the roof he really couldn't do anything on the roof. He took the masts down at least and left the plates on the roof. As one of the replies further down indicates, if the roof isn't leaking why mess with a good thing?

Yes, I'm on my third dish inside the last 5.5 years. I started with a 24 inch oval with 2 dual LNBs. Then when the HD stuff launched I got a new dish that had the 3 LNBs. The reason they did this was because the new dish had the integrated switch and the previous installer put the mast on backwards and managed to strip out two of the four lag screws so removal was next to impossible without drilling the holes out.

So then when the new monster came out I got dish #3. I hope this is it for a while. With the masts removed, you can't see a thing. My equipment is 25 feet up on a second story roof. I'd just be happy for a dry inside of the house. Roof leaks can get quite expensive to fix.

MAKDaddy

Shame on you D*!

100144618 said:

I joined this forum specifically so I could respond to this posting.

How dare you ask your customers to have patience with this issue, or any other? It's about time D* got their s**t together with tech support. Every time I call I get a different answer to the same question. I have spent HOURS on the phone with your tech support people and have gotten nowhere. And I have been repeatedly disconnected.

Now you say the Caller Id feature isn't meant to work on the H20 yet? Every listing of tech specs for the H20 says it has Caller ID as a feature. This is something that D* should have addressed before these receivers were ever released into the marketplace. I paid for that feature when I bought the box (from D*, by the way) and I want my receiver to be fully functional and do everything it is suppossed to. Is that too much to ask?

scottishknight said:
I joined this forum specifically so I could respond to this posting.

How dare you ask your customers to have patience with this issue, or any other? It's about time D* got their s**t together with tech support. Every time I call I get a different answer to the same question. I have spent HOURS on the phone with your tech support people and have gotten nowhere. And I have been repeatedly disconnected.

Now you say the Caller Id feature isn't meant to work on the H20 yet? Every listing of tech specs for the H20 says it has Caller ID as a feature. This is something that D* should have addressed before these receivers were ever released into the marketplace. I paid for that feature when I bought the box (from D*, by the way) and I want my receiver to be fully functional and do everything it is suppossed to. Is that too much to ask?

Hey Scottsihknight, unplug your unit for about 1 minute, plug it back in, and if that doesn't work, call the "Small Satellite Dealer" that you purchased it from, and have them replace it!!!

If you didn't purchase it from a "Small Satellite Dealer", then Call DirecTV, and have them bring out another unit, to replace the defective unit!!!

This will resolve your whole problem, and put a :) upon your Face...

Doctor Bob said:
Hey Scottsihknight, unplug your unit for about 1 minute, plug it back in, and if that doesn't work, call the "Small Satellite Dealer" that you purchased it from, and have them replace it!!!

If you didn't purchase it from a "Small Satellite Dealer", then Call DirecTV, and have them bring out another unit, to replace the defective unit!!!

This will resolve your whole problem, and put a :) upon your Face...

I don't get it, which is it, a defect or unsupported as a poster above (an employee of D*) stated that the callerID function is not yet functional because of the firmware to fix the issue has not been released, how would replacing the receiver help any? Do any of you guys' left hand know what the right hand is doing?

BTW, scottishknight stated he bought the unit directly from D*.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)