Calling Dish experts.. Is the following installation correct?

dnaren

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Yesterday, Dish Network install guy came and installed/upgraded the Dish(s) on my roof. The upgrade was necessary to get the subscribed channels from the following satellites:

He installed two dishes on the roof (Images are attached - Dish1 and Dish2). Added a DPP44 Switch. I get the channels I subscribed to but I am not happy with his answers about why the signal from 118 is less than 50%.

I am attaching the Installation summary images (InstallSummary1,2,3) and they point out the following errors:

a. 118.7 is not locked in
b. DPP44 and/or LNBs are not connected properly

I am suspecting that he didn't install the Circular LNB needed for 118.7 but I am a novice.

Your expert opinions are needed.

I paid Dish Network $59 for installation and $50 more for the cable. I need to educate myself with your help before I call Dish Technical support.

TIA!

Attachments

• Dish1.jpg
    Dish1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 280
  • Dish2.jpg
    Dish2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 324
  • InstallSummary1.jpg
    InstallSummary1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 326
  • InstallSummary2.jpg
    InstallSummary2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 344
  • InstallSummary3.jpg
    InstallSummary3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 329
Is it accurate to complain to Dish that -

1. Wrong LNB is installed to get 118.7
2. DPP44 is not connected properly

I am curious and I will be garteful if someone here can explain how to correct this installation.

What kind LNBs are those installed with Dish 2 (Dish2.jpeg)?
Can some one can look at the pictures and tell me how to connect the cables from the sigle LNB from Dish 1 and the cables from the LNBs from Dish 2 with DPP44?

If I am not mistaken, thats a dish 500+ with the funky ass lnb (the funky one is for 118.7/119). That would pull down your 118.7 if you are getting 119/110. Since it is saying its not supported (5th picture), it is likely a software issue, However, I suppose the LNB or switch could be bad as well.

Edit: NOPE. According to this, you have the proper software.http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/technical/software_versions/index.asp

Last edited:
I would say it is wired correctly:
119 to Port 1
110 to Port 2
118.7 to Port 3 - Provided all of your receivers support 118.7, and then
61.5 to Port 4 - Would also be okay.

It sounds like you may not have the correct software version, and/or possibly a bad LNBF.

However, I would not rule out incorrectly aligned Dish.

I don't have a Dish 500+, but it seems like the 110 should show Dual instead of Single. But then maybe a Single was added instead of a DP Dual LNBF.

What kind of receiver(s) do you have, and I'll edit with a link for the software version.

EDIT: http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/technical/software_versions/index.asp

So, am I correct with the following statements?:

The dish in the first picture is pointed to 61.5 (Port 4 on the Switch marked Dual).

The second dish uses the big/strange LNB to get both 118.7 and 119. The other single LNB attched to it is for 110.

Is this the best way to get the signals from these 4 satellites?
Why did the installer use a dual LNB for 61.5 (and connect it to Port 4 of DPP44)? Is there a way to use seperate LNBs to get 119 and 118.7?

Thanks for all the responses and I am glad to learn from the experts on this board.

Looking closely at your picture, you have a ViP 211 and have the latest software version, which should support 118.7 and the DPP-44.

Looking at the other picture, the LNBF for the 110 (the LNBF with single cable), it looks like there is a hole where the other F connector would be on a DP Dual LNBF. But it is hard to tell, and I don't know what a DP Single LNBF looks like.
Maybe someone else can comment.

I would call Dish.

The dish in the first picture is pointed to 61.5 (Port 4 on the Switch marked Dual).
Correct. This dish is normally for 119 & 110, but it can be used for a single satellite, and at other locations. The adapator will except either one Twin or two Individual LNBF's. Dual does not mean two LNBF's, but one lnbf with two outputs. The only thing I would of done here, is replaced the "Y Adaptor" with a "I- Bracket" which only allows ONE LNBF.
The second dish uses the big/strange LNB to get both 118.7 and 119. The other single LNB attched to it is for 110.
Correct.
Is this the best way to get the signals from these 4 satellites?
I think so. In fact, the Dish 500+ is the only way to get 118.7.
NOTE: The Dish 1000+ is identical except it will pick up 129.
Why did the installer use a dual LNB for 61.5 (and connect it to Port 4 of DPP44)?
See above, dual only means two outputs, and I think they quit making the single outputs for this type.
Is there a way to use seperate LNBs to get 119 and 118.7?
To use Dish equipment with Dish Pro or Dish Pro Plus technology, this is the only way to receive 118.7.

Is it accurate to complain to Dish that -

1. Wrong LNB is installed to get 118.7
2. DPP44 is not connected properly

I am curious and I will be garteful if someone here can explain how to correct this installation.

What kind LNBs are those installed with Dish 2 (Dish2.jpeg)?
Can some one can look at the pictures and tell me how to connect the cables from the sigle LNB from Dish 1 and the cables from the LNBs from Dish 2 with DPP44?
The only issues I can think of are the dish 500 plus dish needs ot be tweaked a bit to get a little more of the 118..The manual I have sitting right here states to Peak the dish using the 119lnb...then fine tune on the 118.75 ,then verify on 110....
Also, it is important to follow the recomendation that the 118.75 cable form the4 dish be connected to port #4 of the DPP 44 switch...when I do these I always run a second check switch to make sure my work is correct...
It is possible that there may be a bad LNB or bad switch..
Did it appear the tech was as thorough as possible?..Unfortunately there are techs wil peak the dish as soon as they get any signal, they lock it down and thta's that..With medium powered satellite like the 118.75 fine tuning is essential to ensure best signal reception..

I don't have a Dish 500+, but it seems like the 110 should show Dual instead of Single. But then maybe a Single was added instead of a DP Dual LNBF.

I already looked at the software, and in the photo, the 110 has a single LNB.

edit:
Is the 118.7 FSS like the superdish? If so, that is a very key point. Those are supposed to go to port four. the fix is to swap the wires out, and redo the checkswitch on both recievers.

Last edited:
Yes, it is the SuperDish sporting the big LNB and the additional LNB.

I could not get a snap showing the label on the Dish.

I have a SuperDish 121 and Dish 500 set up as: 1=119, 2=110, 3=121, 4=129, and all works great.

So, I tend to disagree (probably with many others) about Port 3 and Port 4. If your receivers support all 4 birds, it shouldn't matter which ports. However, swapping the cables around does does remind me of one other thing....

It is possible that the center conductor from the 118.7 LNBF (Port 3) is not making good contact going into Port 3. So I would recommend swapping it between ports, or replacing the end.

So the 110 LNBF is what a DP Single LNBF looks like.

EDIT: Repalce 61.5 with 110 on above sentence. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Did it appear the tech was as thorough as possible?..Unfortunately there are techs wil peak the dish as soon as they get any signal, they lock it down and thta's that..With medium powered satellite like the 118.75 fine tuning is essential to ensure best signal reception..

When I asked the tech about low signal strength, he told me that it was normal to get aroud 50% signal from international satellites since the signal was coming from my country :D

Unfortunately, that signal was good enough to get the channel I subscribed to and I couldn't argue with the tech.

You may want to go to Menu, 6, 1, 1, which will bring you to the Point Dish screen and then you can select each satellite and take a single strength reading on a couple of different transponders for each satellite.

Also, does your 322 have the latest software?

Yes, it is the SuperDish sporting the big LNB and the additional LNB.

I could not get a snap showing the label on the Dish.
If you look at the front of the dish pan, I believe it will have "PLUS" on it, where-as the SuperDish will have SuperDISH on it.
(I doubt you have a SuperDish pan with a Dish 500+ LNBF, but maybe.:D )

For anyone with a Dish 500+/1000+.....

Are you suppose to check "SuperDish" and/or "Alternate" in the Check Switch screen?

Either way, maybe he should uncheck SuperDish, and check Alternate and then run a check switch.

Does anyone know what the big/circular/spiral/glass-front LNB (on the second Dish - Dish2.jpg) is called?
Is it possible to get the specs/install docs for it?
Is it a legacy LNB?

It does - look at his System Info picture.

Difference between switch matrix screen and System info - last one attempted to lock into home tpn.

Just make full table of SS for all sats and tpns and post it here - go to Install dish screen.

That is special combo LNBF - no published spec for it. Read Scott's thread about 1000+ and 500+ dishes.

Last edited:
Install is done correctly but you need to get the dual band lnbf for the 118, 119, just have a tech come out and swap out the lnbf and while he's there he'll realign the dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts