Calling OTA Experts!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tvrobert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
My other half and I are looking to buy a hobby farm. Great location, except that it's near the bottom of a short bluff and ravine system that lies between us and the 45-degreee direction needed to aim the VHF for OTA. We're about 55 miles southwest of the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area.

Questions:

1. How much do ATSC signals degrade through trees?

2. Can one mount an antenna on a tree?

2.a. How much might a 50' to 80' tower cost?

3. How much/what type of line needs to be run between the antenna and the home before line amps are needed? This looks like it could be anywhere from 75 to 250 feet from the house to mount an antenna that may/may not even work.

4. You can PM me for precise location if needed.

5. Should I just say screw it and live solely with a dish?

5.a. If I go with satellite, any recommendations on D* or E*? (no problem with southern exposure on this property).

Thanks to all who respond.

p.s. From the potential new home I live about a mile southwest and ~75 higher in topography and get great reception of all but one Cities ATSC station.

My other half and I are looking to buy a hobby farm. Great location, except that it's near the bottom of a short bluff and ravine system that lies between us and the 45-degreee direction needed to aim the VHF for OTA. We're about 55 miles southwest of the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area.

Questions:

3. How much/what type of line needs to be run between the antenna and the home before line amps are needed? This looks like it could be anywhere from 75 to 250 feet from the house to mount an antenna that may/may not even work.

5.a. If I go with satellite, any recommendations on D* or E*? (no problem with southern exposure on this property).

p.s. From the potential new home I live about a mile southwest and ~75 higher in topography and get great reception of all but one Cities ATSC station.

Try www.antennaweb.org. It will give you a good idea of what is available. Be sure to use the options menu which will let you see what a taller antenna might do.

Try www.antennaweb.org. It will give you a good idea of what is available. Be sure to use the options menu which will let you see what a taller antenna might do.

I tried that already and didn't like the answer. :) Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to hear from installers with experience getting OTA signals in "difficult" areas.

I'm hoping to shoot the antenna up a ravine, but there are trees in the way. I may be screwed unless I spring for an 80-foot tower. Even that may not work.

Questions:

For over the air antenna, I don't see there a line of sight issue. but with good quality and large enough antenna you will has no reception problem unless your house in under the mountain or the TV station is at other side of mountain.

Questions:

1. Several db.
2. Yes.
2a. http://www.texastowers.com/rohn25g.htm
OR http://www.criticaltowers.com/ROHN Industries/2005 Catalogs/2004_Revised_ROHN_Catalog.pdf see page 25
3. 75' use RG6. 250' use RG-11. You will need a preamp with plenty of gain such as the Channel master 7777.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)