Camera, Cable, and Sat combined

dstke

Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
Hi,

Just checking to see if I have this right.

I have a client with Basic Cable and D* Sat service and I'm about to add a security camera. Right now, both cable and Sat are connected direct, i.e., cable to the TVs via a splitter, and Sat feed direct to the set-top boxes.

Seems to me that the easiest way to add a security camera will be to add a low pass filter to the cable, modulate the security video to a channel above the filter, combine, then feed through the existing cable splitter.

Another, more complicated but perhaps the 'right' way, in case the client wants to add TV locations, would be to do as above but take the combined Cable and Security signal and insert into a 5x8 switch (I have a Terk 5x8), then split (diplex) the signal out at the set-top box.

Sound right?

I thought I saw somewhere that you could combine OTA with the Sat signal and connect a single cable directly to the SAT IN connection, would require a built-in NTSC tuner in the SAT set-top box. Was I dreaming?

TIA
/Doug

Either way would work, as long as the signal from the modulator is strong enough at the point of insertion. I assume you will be using a device like a Channel Plus 5445, you probably wont need 4 inputs but its a possibility, and then combine it using a splitter/combiner or 'Home Node' unit (SHN-24).

I myself have a setup like the one you describe, however I use satellite receivers and security cameras modulated into the cable tv signals via channels 108, 112, 116, 120 respectively. I have 2 direct tv receivers that stay on international channel I inject into the cable for the whole house. This way, only 2 satellite receivers are needed on those that want to see the entire direct tv lineup. The outhouse, where the parents stay, and the guest room get outfitted with only CATV tuning SD sets with basic cable + 2 filipino channels and the back and front door.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)