camping question

jig head

Original poster
May 1, 2007
I had dishnetwork instaled today.
my question is can I take one of my mod.322 recievers with me camping ?
and do I need to purchase a mod 500 dish that is what they instaled?
also it is legal to do this ?

First of all, what are your other receivers that you have?? If you have HD then you have a Dish 1000.2 most likely. If you don't have HD then you have a Dish500. My opinion would be to find a friend with an old dish 500 that they don't use anymore to take camping(easier than taking your dish down and having to realign it each time). Plus you can buy the LNB from dish if you want to, last time I checked it was $36. You would want a DP+Twin.

both recievers are 322 I do not have hd.
I checked out the mod. 500 dishes on e-bay. and am also checking with friends.

You will need to use a DPP Twin with a separator or a Dish Pro Twin with 2 cables to your 322. It dosen't work properly with only 1 cable attached to the receiver.

I did a similar temporary setup for my mother who was in a convalescent hospital for a brief time a couple of years ago (cheap place didn't have cable!!!) I used an old Dish300 with a single LNB and aimed it at 119. At the time all of the channels in the AT100 pack were on 119, as well as the LA area locals. She didn't even know anything was missing.

Short answer, if you don't mind missing some of the upper tier channels then a single LNB pointed to 119 is just fine, and is easier to set up than a Dish500.

Short answer, if you don't mind missing some of the upper tier channels then a single LNB pointed to 119 is just fine, and is easier to set up than a Dish500.

The only problem I have telling people that using a dish300 is fine, is that a lot of people want to be able to pick up their locals while away to watch the news, or whatever... in a lot of areas the locals are on the 110 spotbeams. In your case you were getting the LA locals, so it wasnt a problem for you.

If all the channels you want to get are on the 119, then a dish 300 is fine, just make sure it has a dual (2 outputs) lnb on it...

The only problem I have telling people that using a dish300 is fine, is that a lot of people want to be able to pick up their locals while away to watch the news, or whatever... in a lot of areas the locals are on the 110 spotbeams. In your case you were getting the LA locals, so it wasnt a problem for you.

If all the channels you want to get are on the 119, then a dish 300 is fine, just make sure it has a dual (2 outputs) lnb on it...

Yes, a dual LNB is a must for that 322 receiver. A DirecTV dish with a single dual LNB would even work. I have also found that a bullseye level is virtually a must for portable installs. As long as the dish has the correct elevation set and the post is level on the vertical axis, aiming the dish is usually a very quick process. A compass also helps, but is not a must - especially if you are camping near someone else that also has a dish set up ;)

now I am confused.
the installer ran one coax from one lnb to one reciever through a seperater at the reciever. then the wire from the other lnb went to my other reciever.
so I do not understand why I need the dual lnb for one reciever while camping. I do however want to get all the channels that I subscribe to with my locals.
the single lnb dish that I can get for free is through a friend that has a friend that is a instaler he says it will work. I now nothing about dish.
I did have direct tv and never had a problem aiming that.
so if u guys are right I might buy one of the 500 off e-bay with a cheap meter.

because the dish on your roof has a DPP twin, which has band stacking like technology that will allow a dual tuner reciever to only use 1 line, and the seperator. Your old dish your friend has DOES NOT, it is a legacy lnb, which does not work with the seperator.
If you do buy one online, and only want to run 1 coax and use the seperator while camping, make sure you buy one with a DPP twin... otherwise you will have to run 2 coax to the receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)