can 2 genies be on one account?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
no, but you can have 1 genie, and many hr24's and all can see the others recordings

it can be done but dtv will not do it. tried like heck for 2 days. one would need 2 dishes the way the swm are working these days. was told they hope to find a fix someday with out the need of 2 dishes. the sw on their in house computer system will not let them do it also. waiting

I doubt it's a swm issue, you can use a swm16 that allows 8 tuners per side. I think it's more a supply issue, although you would think by now there would be enough to allow more than one per account.

I doubt it's a swm issue, you can use a swm16 that allows 8 tuners per side. I think it's more a supply issue, although you would think by now there would be enough to allow more than one per account.
no i offered to buy one on the open market. it's a combo of the swm and genie sw is what 5 + hours of 2 days got me. i offered to buy another swm and dish. can't be done. waiting

ps. i don't even use the WH feature.

There are technical issues with using two Genies particularly with the clients.

I'm sure I read either here or at dbstalk that a very few tried 2 Genies early on and they worked. Don't remember much other than that like how many total units of whatever's were in the mix.

The limitations mostly come from using any client boxes on a SWM network with two Genies. The few that have two indicated it was something with the software related to whole-home viewing issues.

Rather than invest in fixing the software, to date, DirecTV just decided to limit customers to one.
That could be a decision based on software development costs, or related to hardware/installation/training costs - or even both.

As for hardware, a SWM16 would work fine. In fact today you could isolate one Genie using a BSF and it would work fine, but is not an ideal setup as it would limit whole-home playback.

There would never be a need for two dishes - you can use two SWM8's and have isolated networks, or just isolate one branch of the swm16. Better yet, DirecTV could make some adjustments to the software to handle multiple Genies, just like it handles multiple HR2x. If they fix the software, than most customers would still be ok with a SWM16.

i really wish they would allow it. i have 3 tv's, all HDDVR and no clients. I want a 44 to go with my 34 so i can get rid of my HR21. i'm using the SWM 16 and wish i could use it to it's full potential.

i really wish they would allow it. i have 3 tv's, all HDDVR and no clients. I want a 44 to go with my 34 so i can get rid of my HR21. i'm using the SWM 16 and wish i could use it to it's full potential.

Just because you don't have clients today does not mean you might not have clients tomorrow. If the two-Genie configuration has issues, then DirecTv is quite correct IMHO not to allow it until they get them fixed.

Just because you don't have clients today does not mean you might not have clients tomorrow. If the two-Genie configuration has issues, then DirecTv is quite correct IMHO not to allow it until they get them fixed.
i'd never have a client, unless they forced me to by threatening to turn off service. fixing the issue would be the best way to go, hopefully they do that.

My fear if they start allowing it is if they try to adapt to pricing like Dish. Doesn't dish charge something like $17/month for an second Hopper?

Who would need 10 tuners? Unless they are sneaking a residential account into a commercial establishment..Hmmm

its 2 hoppers for $12.00 each= $24.00 that includes whole home

Kind of a misleading way of saying it. 1st Hopper free, 2nd $12. Plus the $12 whole home/dvr combo fee, or the soon to be $22 whole home/dvr/HD fee. About $3 cheaper than the charge D* uses.

our family has 9 total tuners and we still have some recording conflicts during prime time. not everything is as "sneaky" as you presume.

If your family is watching all recorded stuff, then the conflicts could be minimized just by recording when all those cable type channels rerun the same show. I do that all the time. The only times that conflicts occur to the point of not being able to record are with broadcast channels. Never saw it with cable type or premium channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)