Can 720p/1080i be transmitted over Component cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohnobob

Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Hi:

I have searched up and down left and right for an answer to this question. Needless to say, Any help would be highly appreciated.

I prewired my home for projector but used only Component cables since a year ago all the hype was about 480p max.

Now I hear about 720p/1080i which are best transmitted over dvi/hdmi.

I am trying to choose between two prokectors IF4805 (850x480) and a panasonic 500u (1280x720p). Since I have only component cables running to the projector I dont want to invest in more than what i can possibly use.

So essentially the question is... CAN 720p/1080i done over component cables (i know its better with dvi etc) but the question is CAN it be done and if so is the picture going to be any better. OR the advantage will be lost in D/A and then A/D conversion.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Bobby

Yes until last year all HD used component cables. DVI and the sort really became common place this last year.
BTW Its is not better with DVI - DVI is just a different way to convey the signal.
It is wise for any purchases to have a DVI connection. In lieu of any content protection schemes that may be used. Any TV or projector will have both DVI and component so do not fear that part of it.

I dunno man. If Hollywood has their way they will try to implement HDCP of which isn't available over component.

Neutron said:
I dunno man. If Hollywood has their way they will try to implement HDCP of which isn't available over component.
Yep , that why I said get DVI so that when HDCP is put into effect he will not miss out. He can continue to use comonpent till that day comes. Future proofing.

"In lieu of any content protection schemes that may be used. Any TV or projector will have both DVI and component so do not fear that part of it."
This isn't true. you can buy lots of soon to be obsolete HDTV's right now. I could walk into best buy right now and find lots of HDTV that still lack a DVI connection. And then you run into the cheapo no name brands with a DVI input, but guess what it lacks? HDCP. If an HDTV doesn't have DVI/HDMI with HDCP then it isn't worth buying. you MUST have one or both of those connection WITH HDCP, or else your TV is already outdated!
"I am trying to choose between two prokectors IF4805 (850x480) and a panasonic 500u (1280x720p). "
If your planning on watching HD, then the first projector isn't for you. The first projector doesn't support of display HD, only the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)