Can a 2x4 multiswitch be used instead of trying to pull a 2nd cable to HD-DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satdabbler

Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Midwest
I bought a two story home with coax in every room, with one cable to each room.

When we moved in, I hired a crew to help me wire the main floor exactly how I wanted it - hidden wires, hidden dish - a new 4 LNB HD dish was put in, and I ran 2 new cables to the Living Room and Family Room to accommodate 2 DVRs. Since one is older SD DVR, I had them install a Zinwell 6x8, and I didn't bother with WholeHome or look into SWM. At the time, I still had my original Hughes Gold receiver that I used upstairs with one cable just fine, not great, but good enough for free.

Then, a friend of ours got married, and his new wife preferred ComCast. He gave us his fully owned HD-DVR with 2 sat in. This is one of the earliest HD models, and it requires B band converters (we have 2 of these). So, it's setup, authorized with DTV, works fine, but I can only use the one receiver with the single cable in the upstairs room.

I would like to use the 2nd receiver, but it's not worth pulling cable to the second floor. I did attempt to follow the cable with fish tape, but it's not a straight run. It would be a big effort, or at least somewhat costly, and I wouldn't use it enough to justify it.

But, I thought it might be worth a few dollars to get the Zinwell MS2X4RO-03 2x4 Multi-Switch. I thought I could disconnect one LNB cable in the basement from the 6x8, couple it to the upstairs single cable, and install this 2x4 in the room behind the older model HD-DVR.

But, I don't know if a 2x4 might require 2 inputs to work, and I can't tell if this multi-switch model will work with HD transmission.

Has anyone tried this kind of setup with any success? If so, what equipment did you use?

No, it won't work. If you disconnect a line from the. 6X8 you're going to lose either 99, 101, or 103. A 2X4 won't pass the frequency needed for HD either. And yes, it requires 2 lines, if you only hook up 1 you will only receive either the 18 volt or 13 volt sides. In a nut shell, you either have to run a second line or upgrade your receivers and get a SWM system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)