Can a Directv 5 Lnb ka/ku be used for FTA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghost dog

Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
upstate ny
Hi everyone,
I have a 5 Lnb ka/ku dish from Directv. I would like to know if that can be used for free to air. My landlord has no problem with any more dishes being mounted but to avoid any potental issues i figured i'd ask. If it cannot be used can i at least use the remaining mast if i do need to remove it. Also for a 2 room setup what would be the best options to go with. I was an installer for direct tv but Fta is just something i never really thought of until now.

Thanks for any responses in advance.

spanish sites had the mod for the old oddball dtv lnbs.
I believe the l.o. was close enough to 10600 to goose properly.

I have a 5 Lnb ka/ku dish from Directv.
I would like to know if that can be used for free to air.

Also for a 2 room setup what would be the best options to go with.
My notes say the DirecTV Slimline: 32.5 x 22.5 h
With a proper FTA LNBF, you could get by with some of the stronger transponders.
I don't generally recommend a dish under 36" in diameter, though.

As for the existing LNBFs, they're circular, and we use orthogonal (generally called linear).
So, if there is a mod for that , I'd like to see it.
Doesn't really sound like something I'd recommend to a beginner.
Then, there's the problem of 'em having the wrong LO (local oscillator frequency).
Again, not impossible, but without proper equipment, this is biting off too much for a beginner.

For your two-room setup, there are LNBFs with two outputs availablefrom multiple vendors.

Also:
This LO mod may be to LNBs from South America.
I believe they use a different LO down there, and you're not likely to find any such LNBs here in North America.

Here is a quick instruction:

Carefully open the LNB in the front cover (use 2 small screw drivers)
Look for a aluminum triangular bump in the wall of the tunnel
Get a jigsaw blade or anything that can cut thru and carefuly remove the bump
The Tunnel should be freely without anything
Replace back the front cover adding a small pieces of clear silicone around the edges

Should be set as Universay 9750-10750 or simply as 10750

Note: Can't be use to find the satelite since it will give you all the scanned TPs 250 number plus (ej, 12002 H 5615 will be displayed a 12252 H 5615) but it works!!

We all drive cars.
Some of us change the oil. Some of us pay to have it done.
Some of us change the transmission. Some of us pay to have it done.

The FTA hobby is similar.
There are many things we can do.
However, for newbies I tend to recommend the most simple solutions, not doing unspeakable things to parts they may not recognize. :)

We all drive cars.
Some of us change the oil. Some of us pay to have it done.
Some of us change the transmission. Some of us pay to have it done.

The FTA hobby is similar.
There are many things we can do.
However, for newbies I tend to recommend the most simple solutions, not doing unspeakable things to parts they may not recognize. :)

I'm just supplying what you ask for!!

Re:As for the existing LNBFs, they're circular, and we use orthogonal (generally called linear).
So, if there is a mod for that , I'd like to see it.

Here is a quick instruction:

Carefully open the LNB in the front cover (use 2 small screw drivers)
Look for a aluminum triangular bump in the wall of the tunnel
Get a jigsaw blade or anything that can cut thru and carefuly remove the bump
The Tunnel should be freely without anything
Replace back the front cover adding a small pieces of clear silicone around the edges

Should be set as Universay 9750-10750 or simply as 10750

Note: Can't be use to find the satelite since it will give you all the scanned TPs 250 number plus (ej, 12002 H 5615 will be displayed a 12252 H 5615) but it works!!

this mod is only for a directv-la lnbf
the lnbf you mention modifying is a very strange and rare animal, its circular with a 10500 lo
it is only used for this service, DIRECTV - La Evolución de la Televisión at 95w and is therefor NOT included with most directv systems
also note that this lnbf is NOT the same one used for directv international on 95w, the directv international lnbf is standard linear with a 10750 lo

I haven't personally modified a Slimline yet, but there are a couple of members here who have (using the conduit clamp method), with good results.

I would make note of where the faces of the original feedhorns sit, and make sure that the clamped linear LNBF can be adjusted to be within that range.

I took off the LNB assembly, bent a piece of aluminum flashing to cap the end of the arm, no cutting, then drilled through the end to allow me to bolt on a 10750 lo circular for the free stuff on 118 a little while ago. The lnb sat 3/4" deeper than the original focus. With only 58% quality, it needs adjusting. It was super simple though.
quick convt.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)