Can a fixed "Prime Focus" dish be converted to a movable dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I would move on and keep looking. Those are notorious for being warped and you can never get them to stay "focused". Also, they will rust out in less than a year unless you treat them.

Reactions: Titanium
It is possible to motorize any prime focus or offset type reflector. You will need to either fabricate a mount that provides adjustable elevation and declination settings, or source a donor polar type mount from an old dish.

Personally, I would instead locate a quality legacy C-band dish on Craigslist and clean it up rather than buying a cheap and thin metal dish like this and try to fabricate a solution.

Reactions: 907TECH
Agree that the dish may not be the best option but OP has posted previously that they do not drive and online is likely their only option. :(

Here is a link to a video on Youtube that shows what is involved in building a polar mount for a dish of this type. Sorry it is in a foreign language and uses metric measurements but you will get the idea. You would need to purchase metal from a local shop if there is one, online if there isn't. Also a welder would be needed. You could also have the shop build it for you if you are not able. Not likely to be easy or cheap but again if it is your only option... :rolleyes

Thank you all for your suggestions. I thought it would be as easy as sticking a polar mount on it that was, primarily, designed for a movable dish. I think I'll just stick with getting a movable dish.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Thank you all for your suggestions. I thought it would be as easy as sticking a polar mount on it that was, primarily, designed for a movable dish. I think I'll just stick with getting a movable dish.
Do you already have a large enough polar mount? If so, you could try adapting it to the reflector. Otherwise, as you said, try to get a movable dish. With Tek2000 out of business for the foreseeable futher, maybe permanently, it won't be an easy task. Hopefully the world can get past this pandemic and things can return to normal.

Do you already have a large enough polar mount? If so, you could try adapting it to the reflector. Otherwise, as you said, try to get a movable dish. With Tek2000 out of business for the foreseeable futher, maybe permanently, it won't be an easy task. Hopefully the world can get past this pandemic and things can return to normal.
I don't have a polar mount right now.

Guess it will be a waiting game then. :( Still doesn't hurt to keep an eye out on eBay, CL, etc. Maybe place an ad in a local paper that you are looking for one if seller can deliver to you. :)
I did find this polar mount satellite dish on eBay, however I am not sure what size it is & it seems kinda expensive for being an older dish. I've tried sending some messages & offers to the seller & they are not responding. They claim that they can ship it.

I did find this polar mount satellite dish on eBay, however I am not sure what size it is & it seems kinda expensive for being an older dish. I've tried sending some messages & offers to the seller & they are not responding. They claim that they can ship it.
I would be really cautious. No way that dish can be shipped for $24.50 and definitely not by priority mail in any case as the listing states. If the seller will not reply to your messages then there may be something up with that listing and personally, I would pass. I have seen seller accounts that have not been used in a while get hijacked. Items get posted and sold, you pay but never get the item. Quite possible it is legit and they just have no idea what it really costs to ship something like that. In that case you may get a request for more money after the purchase to cover it. Also quite possible someone just took some pictures of a dish in someone's yard and created a listing to get some fast cash. Too many unknowns in my opinion. :(

I would be really cautious. No way that dish can be shipped for $24.50 and definitely not by priority mail in any case as the listing states. If the seller will not reply to your messages then there may be something up with that listing and personally, I would pass. I have seen seller accounts that have not been used in a while get hijacked. Items get posted and sold, you pay but never get the item. Quite possible it is legit and they just have no idea what it really costs to ship something like that. In that case you may get a request for more money after the purchase to cover it. Also quite possible someone just took some pictures of a dish in someone's yard and created a listing to get some fast cash. Too many unknowns in my opinion. :(
At my location, it says that the shipping is $41.05. Still there might be a problem with the listing.

At my location, it says that the shipping is $41.05. Still there might be a problem with the listing.
Even $41.05 is far too little to ship it. Consider the required disassembly and packing materials required to get it to you safely, let alone the actual shipping cost. Without some input from the seller my recommendation is still to pass on it. Any seller who won't answer messages about their listed items is someone I personally refuse to deal with and that raises the question is it really the registered seller that has listed it? Account was registered back in 2009 with only one transaction in 2013. In the end it is your choice but I would not send $1500 plus to someone who refuses to answer my questions. :oldno

Last edited:
:eeek $1500 for a used mesh dish? :eeek
Run away quickly, don't walk!

Looks like a 6' Sami or KTI. Maybe $500 retail when new?

These dishes are free on local Craigslist. If you don't drive, rent a U-haul or Home Depot truck for a few hours and have a friend drive then help you pick off the pole and drop off at your place. If no friends available, hire a local handyman...

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts