Can a person get out-of-market locals?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Okay both a DirecTV rep at Best Buy and a business that services Dish say they can provide me with the locals that I'd prefer by changing my service address. Can I really do this?

do a search on "moving"...tons of info on it

also you have to be within the spotbeam...so you can't "move" to say Seattle while being in Minneapolis

Okay both a DirecTV rep at Best Buy and a business that services Dish say they can provide me with the locals that I'd prefer by changing my service address. Can I really do this?

Dish is only able to provide you with the locals that you qualify for based on your address. If they are offering this to you then they are breaking Dish policy.

It's in the same state, that's all I'm going to say.

Dish cannot offer you out of market locals, it is a violation and if the company that services Dish offers this, once Dish finds out, this company will not be allowed to by Dish. As far as you getting them, do as Ice says and search "moving". Spot beam size differ and are not the same, some may be good for 250 miles from wanted dma while others are a lot smaller. Being in the same state does not mean you are within the spot beam.

Eastern Arc is kind of messed up now as they transition to a new satellite. But, the list of markets on which transponders and spot beams "thelist" has at the top of this forum's pages will be accurate again soon for eastern arc.

If you are using western arc, you can pretty much look at the market you want, look at which spot beam transponder that market locals are on and click to see a map of where the spot beam should be hitting. You can then see if you are under that spot beam.

I'm personally giving it a few months for Dish to get their act together with putting the rest of the Boston locals in HD, then I'm going down the same path. My worry was that with OTA attached to the Hopper, Dish would see that I was in my original location and switch me back. However, on the DirecTV side, in a similar thread, Iceberg corrected that fear.

One may ask, if I have OTA, why "move"? Well, the channels I get well through OTA are WBZ, WCVB, WHDH, and WFXT. My, CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX affiliates respectively. So, those are already in HD. PBS does come in nicely through WGBH as well. But, WSBK, WLVI, and WBPX, my MNTV, CW, and Ion affiliates don't come in well, and are rendered useless.

Basically, I would have every net in HD, then I would get my locals for the news. Then, being in New England, NESN and CSN New England wouldn't be affected at all. If I was with DirecTV, I would "move" to some part of CT that was claimed by both Boston and NYC. Then I would get NESN, CSN New England, MSG, SNY, and the ever so hated YES.

Last edited:
Being in the same state does not mean you are within the spot beam.

while that is true the OP's previous posts have made it clear what market he wants...and its the one next door to his existing one (of which a couple counties bleed over) so yeah he's in the spotbeam ;)

This is not Dish or DTV policy. Its a STUPID rule of the FCC. Is it not funny a cable company can offer you different local markets but not your satellite provider. What is bad I pay taxes in a state and cannot even see the people i have to vote for. They must be ashamed of the job they are doing. I can not see the college football games in the state i live.

This is a FCC rule that needs to be changed. Its un-american not to be able to see Local TV in the state you live.

This is not Dish or DTV policy. Its a STUPID rule of the FCC. Is it not funny a cable company can offer you different local markets but not your satellite provider. What is bad I pay taxes in a state and cannot even see the people i have to vote for. They must be ashamed of the job they are doing. I can not see the college football games in the state i live.

This is a FCC rule that needs to be changed. Its un-american not to be able to see Local TV in the state you live.

Actually is is not an FCC rule. It is a law that was passed authorizing satellite companies to carry local channels. Without the law it would be virtually impossible for a satellite company to carry a local channel. The law of course was influenced heavily by the broadcast stations and networks, so it has strict rules. The law actually exempts copyrights and allows for the retransmission of the signal.

Actually is is not an FCC rule. It is a law that was passed authorizing satellite companies to carry local channels. Without the law it would be virtually impossible for a satellite company to carry a local channel. The law of course was influenced heavily by the broadcast stations and networks, so it has strict rules. The law actually exempts copyrights and allows for the retransmission of the signal.

Yep, and it is important to realize that Congress enacts those laws. The FCC acts as the police to enforce them.....

To me there is not a lot of difference between a Rule or Law. The bottom point is it really screws "We the People". Mike I see you live in Texas. How would you like it if the only Locals you could get were from Oklahoma? You could not see if a tornado was coming into Wichita Falls but you can see the sun is shinning in OK City. You could not watch a Texas college or pro sport except for the ones out of Oklahoma. I would have to admit being able to watch the Thunder this year would be better than the Mavericks. :) The is the biggest problem I have is " We the People" should be able to see Local news and sports in the state we live in.

People act like its a BIG deal to move but have you ever heard one ONE person getting fined, go to jail or anything other than Dish or DTV switching you back into the right DMA the LAW says you should be in.

PS.. I am not the only Dumb ass..Even the FCC refers to it as " The FCC rule requires satellite carriers, by January 1, 2002, to carry upon request all local TV broadcast stations in local markets in which the satellite carriers carry at least one TV broadcast station, also known as the “carry one, carry all” rule."

Last edited:
.Even the FCC refers to it as " The FCC rule requires satellite carriers, by January 1, 2002, to carry upon request all local TV broadcast stations in local markets in which the satellite carriers carry at least one TV broadcast station, also known as the “carry one, carry all” rule."

all that rule means is if you carry one station that asked for must carry you have to carry ALL of the full powered (at the time...analog) stations. Before that Dish only carried the Big 4. This rule says if you carry CBS Minneapolis you have to carry all the full powered stations in the market which would be ABC, CBS, PBS X3, NBC, FOX, (and at the time) UPN and WB as long as you reached an agreement and that the station could get a good signal to the POP

To me there is not a lot of difference between a Rule or Law. The bottom point is it really screws "We the People". Mike I see you live in Texas. How would you like it if the only Locals you could get were from Oklahoma? You could not see if a tornado was coming into Wichita Falls but you can see the sun is shinning in OK City. You could not watch a Texas college or pro sport except for the ones out of Oklahoma. I would have to admit being able to watch the Thunder this year would be better than the Mavericks. :) The is the biggest problem I have is " We the People" should be able to see Local news and sports in the state we live in.

People act like its a BIG deal to move but have you ever heard one ONE person getting fined, go to jail or anything other than Dish or DTV switching you back into the right DMA the LAW says you should be in.

PS.. I am not the only Dumb ass..Even the FCC refers to it as " The FCC rule requires satellite carriers, by January 1, 2002, to carry upon request all local TV broadcast stations in local markets in which the satellite carriers carry at least one TV broadcast station, also known as the “carry one, carry all” rule."

This is Tornado Alley. He wouldn't have to worry about tornado coverage. The Oklahoma stations act like it is the Super Bowl with the coverage of storms if it is anywhere close to the state lines :rolleyes:

I think you are reading way too much into that. As Iceberg said, it's there to allow locals to be carried, and if you carry one in a market you are then open to carry all. (Which by the way Charlie/Dish were the leaders in to get passed - to carry locals) What locals are carried is not up to the carrier, it's a strict market address driven decision.
And it's the opposite of what you said - some actually think we don't make a big enough deal about changing markets.... :)

I think you and Iceberg are reading way too much My post.

That was ONE quote from the Bill that was passed called the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act of 1999. My point beinng if you read the FCC SHVIA report it keeps talking about all the different RULES.

I kind of had this question we will be going on vacation taking two of our hoppers with us. Now I know that you can't get your locals once you leave your area but we have five dogs we are leaving at home with the sitter for 2 1/2 weeks if we just brought an antenna with us could we just use that for the locals where we are? So we don't have to activate snowbird or anything else. Dish said if we activated snow bird the box we left at home wouldn't get any locals this person is basically going to be living in our house while we are on vacation? They are doing it as a favor so I kind of want to make it as comfortable as possible.

Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys

Actually my stations are shared with OK :)
And yes the ABC station carries OU over UT... Good thing I went to OU!

Unfortunately the law was written by the broadcasters, and they want market exclusivity. They own the programming. As with most laws the rules and regulations that implement the law are made by the various agencies. The FCC make rules to implement the law. There are a few exceptions written into the law. For example the "superstations" are allowed to be sold out of market, and some locals have a statewide coverage.

As mentioned Dish got into a lot of trouble selling out of market locals to subscribers and nearly lost the right to provide any locals at all. They skirted around it a bit by leasing a TP to another company to provide distants. So, if DIRECTV or Dish find a sub in the wrong DMA they have to change them back. You can hide your address and work the system to get it, but if brought to their attention they have to respond.

I have locals through AIR and locals through Dish on the eastern arc. Its been running fine for more than a year. I do miss LA Locals but don't have the line of sight for 129, hence resorted to 61.5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)