Can a person get out-of-market locals?

As mentioned Dish got into a lot of trouble selling out of market locals to subscribers and nearly lost the right to provide any locals at all... So, if DIRECTV or Dish find a sub in the wrong DMA they have to change them back. You can hide your address and work the system to get it, but if brought to their attention they have to respond.

I'm glad you mentioned that, most people think it's not a big deal and to a customer it may not be, but I'm sure it would turn into a big deal if the ability to provide locals was pulled.

In most cases now with the locals on spotbeams a lot of the problems has been taken care of. In the old days Steelers fans just had to have Pittsburg locals.

I am getting old and will have to think about when dish lost the ability to give Distant locals. I dont remember people moving really being the biggest problem with that but I could be wrong.

It does not seem right to me that CABLE can give a customer out of DMA locals. How is that playing fair.

It still wrong to not be able to get your LOCAL in the state you live in.

Cable mostly tends to only provide locals and possibly some adjacent market stations, they are not able to have LA locals in NYC. Cable's laws were written at a time when local stations were dying to be on a cable system. If they could be rewritten they would probably end up just like the satellite rules. Now the locals demand payment from both satellite and cable companies to be carried.

Ok, I am done and will get off my soap box and move on. Hope most you didnt think I was attacking you personally.

Cable mostly tends to only provide locals and possibly some adjacent market stations, they are not able to have LA locals in NYC. Cable's laws were written at a time when local stations were dying to be on a cable system. If they could be rewritten they would probably end up just like the satellite rules. Now the locals demand payment from both satellite and cable companies to be carried.

Hey. Sorry to hijack... Would Chicago & St. Louis be considered adjacent market stations? I would really like to have the Chicago locals but I think I am running into a dead end. I have cable now and was planning on getting Dish so that I could "move" to Chicago but it doesn't look like we fall in the same spot beam..

I'm a noob about all this but I looked again and I came across spot beam 19 which contains Chi & STL. Would this one work? I can't post links yet

A little late response

Different markets that use the same spot would not have any type of overlap.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean about overlap.

The common spot for both cities, on 110, are SD channels and do not include the big 4 networks...

The SD part really sucks but it does have the two main channels I want, WCIU & WGN, I like watching live Chicago Bulls games but I don't know if it is worth it if I can't watch them in HD... Do you think the 110 would likely pick the HD signal soon or eventually?

Other than that, do you know if there is any other way to get these channels in St. Louis? I wonder if they are considered FTA channels although I doubt it.... NBA League Pass is way too overpriced and has too many restrictions...

BTW, Does anyone know if the receivers at Alsat are legal?

Edit: Can someone tell me what is the difference between the yellow and green borders that define a spotbeam? Also out of curiousity, what would happen if I tried to use the 129 satellite being barely outside the spotbeam? http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist...&sub=true&sort=&order=&beamMap=CIEL2_SB22.jpg

Last edited:
I believe green is standard size dish, and yellow needs a larger one. If you are barely outside the spot a larger dish might be able to pick it up, but the signal really drops rapidly outside the contours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts