Can a Uniden 9900 Rx 36 Volt Power Supply be Used to Move a Dish with an FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Someone informed me I could use my (just purchased) 10 year old Uniden Receiver with its 36 volt power supply to control my 12 foot Dish and Actuator Motor and then thru a LNB Splitter ?? still use my existing ViewSat 2000 Extreme Sat Receiver as well. Here is the quote:

Your (Uniden 9900) receiver is still good for a positioner for a dvb receiver and there are still some analog feeds on it.
You mentioned having a Viewsat Extreme 2000, all you need to connect it with the Uniden is a LNB splitter. You'd connect the "direct" path to the uniden and the other one to either your Viewsat or one of the ports on the 4x1 switch that came with the receiver and set it's lnb setting to 5150.

Is the above possible? What type of LNB Splitter would this be? I am totally lost as to how the above explanation would work, ie a diagram or drawing of the above setup would sure help!

Sure it will work. Here's a link that should help:

http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm

The splitter has to be a high-frequency model (2ghz, not 1ghz or 900mhz), and you will need to use a DC block on the analog receiver to keep it from powering the LNB (or use a splitter with only one port power pass, or, if possible, turn off the LNB power on the analog receiver). The analog receiver will control the big dish and its polarity using the 36 volt actuator outputs and polarotor outputs.

Thanks a lot Tron, so looking at the DMS International dwg would the Uniden 9900 Rx be the one on Top labled existing Rx? And the ViewSat Rx goes on the Bottom thru the DiSEqC switch? I'm not sure what you mean by putting a DC BLOCK on the Analog/Uniden 9900 Rx? I thought the Uniden
would be used with its 36 Volt Pwr Supply to move the Dish and Actuator Arm? And then could ViewSat Rx be used with 5500 in Antenna Setup to select and Scan in the C Band Sats?

switches

There's switches made for that purpose, I need a couple of them myself, haven't gotten around to locating them. They split the signal, and one leg of the switch will pass DC, another leg going to your FTA doesn't, since you can't have both boxes trying to supply lnb power at the same time. Switches will usually be marked with a red line or something to indicate which side is powered.

Thanks a lot Tron, so looking at the DMS International dwg would the Uniden 9900 Rx be the one on Top labled existing Rx? And the ViewSat Rx goes on the Bottom thru the DiSEqC switch? I'm not sure what you mean by putting a DC BLOCK on the Analog/Uniden 9900 Rx? I thought the Uniden
would be used with its 36 Volt Pwr Supply to move the Dish and Actuator Arm? And then could ViewSat Rx be used with 5500 in Antenna Setup to select and Scan in the C Band Sats?

The Uniden would power the actuator via a separate ribbon cable. The 36v actuators do not get their power through the coax. You'd have to run a separate cable for the 36v, and another for the polarotor (there are ribbon cables for this purpose). You'd want to DC block the coax on the Uniden to prevent it from powering the LNB at the same time the FTA receiver was.

Tron, to DC Block the coax to the Uniden Rx would a 2-way satellite splitter ONE DC bypass work? Or available locally is a 2 way splitter -one port Power Passive 40 - 2050 Mhz for $4.49?

You want only one port to pass power, any other port should be blocked. Alternatively, you can use screw-on DC blocks on the back of all but one receiver connected to the splitter.

You want only one port to pass power, any other port should be blocked. Alternatively, you can use screw-on DC blocks on the back of all but one receiver connected to the splitter.

Thanks Tron. So the on the enclosed drawing the Uniden 9900 Rx would be the Black Rx on the Top of the Drawing. An its C and Ku Coax Inputs would be Blocked, (I guess they could be just disconnected as well?) while the Bottom Receiver would be my ViewSat FTA Receiver?? The Splitters used would be 2 way 40 - 2050 Mhz one port passive, with the passive side going to the BOTTOM FTA Rx?

Attachments

• Connecting Uniden and ViewSat Receivers for C and Ku Band to BUD Dish.doc
    126.5 KB · Views: 178
As long as only one receiver is powering the LNB, there should be no problems. If the splitter is only one port power passing, there is no need for the DC block on receivers connected to blocked ports on the splitter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)