can all ku sats be picked up with primestar?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

htownjoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2007
splendora tx
i have been moving my dish manually. a 40 inch primestar dish, i have learned where most sats are by just looking at the dish, but i just cant seem to find sats like amc 15, nimiq sats,t6, the satmex sats,or the sbs sats, do these require a bigger dish or am i not aiming right? i am using my signal meter outside and when i get the signal i go in and check it out. and g25 must be a huge sat because when i hit it on my meter i can move the dish a good 10 inches or so and still be right on the sat. also the skew doesnt seem to have effect on the sats, i hit g3 and turn the skew a good bit and still the same. any of you ever have problems getting these sats. i see that amc 15 and sbs sats are great ones to get. thanks.

You should be able to get those with a 40x30 Primestar. You only need a 76cm dish

AMC15 doesnt have much on it free (its Dish's satellite they use)

Nimiq you need a DBS LNB since they are DBS :)

Satmex is tough here in the Northern states but shuld be fine everywhere else

i lowered the dish, playing around with it since i dont have it concreted in. it stays level and the pole will rotate around with the dish. kinda cool. i have hit a couple of signals far west, maybe around 180 or so, but get nothing on the scan.i even hit a signal when i elevated the dish. i was going for g3 and went up about a foot higher than the sat and my meter hit the max. i didnt check the scan on that one. maybe i was getting some other signal. i have heard about uhf signals interfering with these little sat finders meters. until i get a 500 dollar meter i will have to stick to my poor mans meter. it comes in handy for a 10 dollar meter.

i have been moving my dish manually. a 40 inch primestar dish, i have learned where most sats are by just looking at the dish, but i just cant seem to find sats like amc 15, nimiq sats,t6, the satmex sats,or the sbs sats, do these require a bigger dish or am i not aiming right? i am using my signal meter outside and when i get the signal i go in and check it out. and g25 must be a huge sat because when i hit it on my meter i can move the dish a good 10 inches or so and still be right on the sat. also the skew doesnt seem to have effect on the sats, i hit g3 and turn the skew a good bit and still the same. any of you ever have problems getting these sats. i see that amc 15 and sbs sats are great ones to get. thanks.

The P* dish will receive all linear polarized Ku birds. The problem with using a little satellite meter is there broadbanded (look at a large frequency spectrum at once) You could be picking up a sidelobe from a strong adjacent satellite or even thermal noise. The quality meter in a digital receiver is so much better when descriminating between a good signal and bad. This could be what's happening. The best tool would be a spectrum analyzer we all wish we had one but there very expensive. Maybe some year Santa will leave one under my tree:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)