Can Bose CineMate 1 SR volume be controlled from Dish remote?

rharkins

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Kansas City, MO USA
Santa dropped off a new Bose CineMate 1 SR sound system for my TV. It's hooked up to both the TV (Sony) and my VIP211k receiver via fiber. The Bose unit claims to look at both sources, and choose the best audio source. It sounds great!

I've been trying to get my Dish remote to control the Bose volume, but have been unsuccessful so far. I've tried scanning for AUX devices (per the Dish manual) until my finger is sore. No codes seem to have any effect on the Bose. Optical output from the TV appears to be fixed, and does not vary when the volume is adjusted on the TV.

The Bose remote does a fair job of controlling the Dish receiver, but the Dish remote has grown into an extension of my hand. Learning a new remote for just one of our TVs is not going to happen easily. Bose support only wants to talk about using their own remote.

Has anyone gotten this to work? If I switched to the traditional audio output from the TV (via RCA jacks - varies with TV volume) would I lose any of the wonderful surround sound features?

Many Bose units are actually RF. Some have an IR mode if you enable it. So look for that, turn IR on, and try the Dish remote again.

I have a 20.0 IR remote and manually programmed (via learning) everything for my Pioneer Xbox HTS. Could try that.

I should also note that manually programming has some great advantages (even if you can find the right code) because you can control what each button does. My blu-ray player, HTS, and TV are all controlled by the universal Dish Network remote. The 722k is great, but I ponder whether the 20.0 IR remote is even better. I don't think you can get a better remote for less than $100... that'll work after three months.

Remember you can't learn from an RF remote at all, so get the IR/RF issue figured out first.

While it's great that the 20.0 remote can learn and that you're happy with yours, many cheaper and very reliable remotes can also learn. Many cheaper remotes also have more devices, activity macros, device specific macros, shifted functions, device specific volume punch thru, key copy, key move, backlighting, discrete code entry, PC programmability and many other things that are impossible on Dish remotes.

:)Problem solved. I just picked up a couple of 21.0 remotes from eBay ($12 each). I changed the remote to IR so it would talk to my 211, installed the TV1 key, and set the remote address. Remote works fine with the Dish 211K receiver.

Programmed the proper code for my Sony TV. Changed volume and mute to control the AUX device.

I did not program a device code for AUX. I just used the learning feature to learn the Bose codes for POWER, VOL UP, VOL DOWN, and MUTE when in AUX mode. The Bose ignores all other keys when in AUX mode.

Everything works great! Volume up and down in SAT mode go to the Bose box.

Last edited:
Remember you can't learn from an RF remote at all, so get the IR/RF issue figured out first.

While it's great that the 20.0 remote can learn and that you're happy with yours, many cheaper and very reliable remotes can also learn. Many cheaper remotes also have more devices, activity macros, device specific macros, shifted functions, device specific volume punch thru, key copy, key move, backlighting, discrete code entry, PC programmability and many other things that are impossible on Dish remotes.

I have to disagree. Less than $15? I don't think so. But even more than that, if using the Dish receiver is the main purpose, along with a sound source, the Dish remote is better suited. I have a Harmony and a Sony, both can do macros etc... but neither are as easy to use for the Dish receiver as just using the 21.0. And both cost WAY more. If the object is to control many devices without the emphasis on the Dish receiver, than yes.

I have 5.3IR & 5.4IR remotes available, can't get either to work with Bose cinemate 1sr. Do I definitely need a different type of dish remote? The remote for the Bose is IR aso.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)