Can Comcast cable be connected to a 622?

wase4711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
Outside Chicago
:)I know this is bizarre, but I have a question:
I plan on dumping comcast, except for therir bare bones 14.99 per month basic cable service; that will allow me to view my locals in HD, whch Dish does NOT offer in my zip code (60527)

Can I connect the comcast cable to the rear of the 622 to allow me to view the comcast channels without having to switch to a different input on the TV, or do these 2 signals not "play well" together through the 622?

thanks to anyone who can help with this bizarre request!

Yes you can connect the comcast cable to the antenna port on the back of the receiver, do a scan for digital signals on your receiver and you should be good to go.

If the HD and other digital channels you would be getting are sent through the cable as 8VSB, then you should be able to watch them by connecting the cable to the antenna input on the 622. However, I think most cable companies remodulate the OTA HD channels into QAM for higher bandwidth efficiency, but I could be wrong.

depends, if the particular cableco is broadcasting the locals ATSC and not encrypted, it will probably work, otherwise no.

(what tuxcoder said, but more elegantly and correctly, whilst I was typing)

not sure, but i have a QAM tuner on my tv, and I can get the first 100 channels or so, including local hd/digitals without a comcast box, so they must be QAM..does that mean for sure I cannot connect through the 622?

(deleted all - I got in too late)

Note that Chapter 12 in your User's Guide has information on how to set the 622 to receive "Cable" vs "Air"...

In our local market I believe all the digital channels including the HDs are in the "digital tier" that requires the QAM decoder...

In my market, the HD locals are being sent over QAM, not 8VSB/ATSC by Comcast. The 622 will not deal with these (different modulation/encoding scheme) so you'll be left with the tuner in your TV or an external QAM decoder. Believe me, if the 622 understood QAM I'd be all over this - it would be great to be able to DVR my HD locals, but I have no such luck.

Make sure that when you dump everything except the basic package that the Comcast tech doesn't inadvertently trap out your digital/HD locals. In my market, the digital locals are located right off the top of the analog channels. The standard trap combination for basic/lifeline used by Comcast was also trapping those channels as well. The tech had to become creative with the traps that he had with him (needed five separate traps to get it right) in order to catch all of the analogs above 13 and not get the lower end of the digitals as well.

I tried plugging in my CC cable when I first got the 622, no go, will not see any channels, they are all QAM. It was worth a shot, still use the CC as another backup, OTA then Dish and CC, pretty much have the locals covered.

In my market, the HD locals are being sent over QAM, not 8VSB/ATSC by Comcast. The 622 will not deal with these (different modulation/encoding scheme) so you'll be left with the tuner in your TV or an external QAM decoder. Believe me, if the 622 understood QAM I'd be all over this - it would be great to be able to DVR my HD locals, but I have no such luck.

Make sure that when you dump everything except the basic package that the Comcast tech doesn't inadvertently trap out your digital/HD locals. In my market, the digital locals are located right off the top of the analog channels. The standard trap combination for basic/lifeline used by Comcast was also trapping those channels as well. The tech had to become creative with the traps that he had with him (needed five separate traps to get it right) in order to catch all of the analogs above 13 and not get the lower end of the digitals as well.

Thanks for the warning; the last time I dumped comcrap for everything but the locals, they never even came out to trap anything, and for the next 2 years, I continued to get everything I was paying for originally, except premium channels..In Chicagoland, their level of tech competance is very low, and their attitudes are even worse, so I am not sure that will even be a problem, but thanks for the warning!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts