Can DirecTV or Dish Network reciever be used for FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom001001

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
I heard that some DirecTV and/or Dish Network satellite receivers can be used to receive signals from FTA if don't insert the card. Is it true? What are the models of those receivers? Thanks!:confused:

Will Not Work for FTA

Below are the only channel you can get for free with a DISH receiver, I think you still need any old card to turn on the receiver.

Dish 580-This is a mirror of Dish 101
screen saying "you have a dish at 61.5"

Showcase (tells you how to block adult channels)
DVR promo (a promo on club dish)
Adult Order Screen -how Dish subs order Adult Programming
Dish Home (this is the 6 channel screen)

Angel One
NASA
Channel 101...this shows how to use the receiver and has the...um very educational Charlie Chats
Mono & CD audio (no Sirius though)
The "You have purchased" screen for things like wrestling and boxing
PPV preview channel (times 2)

Dish 1000 screen "Congratulations...you have a Dish 1000"

Channel 491 (this is a duplicate of Channel 101)
a screen saying "You have a Dish at 148"

actually the list posted is what you can get on a FTA box.

On a previously subbed Dish box with a updated card)
Dish 101,480,490
PPV previews 103,500
CCTV9 & CCTV E&F
NASA
Angel One
You have a dish 500

A previously subbed box with an old card (blue) its everything there but CCTV's

a drd430 can indeed be converted for fta use. not sure of the specifics or if it is still valid but it could indeed be done at one time and a quick google search will turn up the results.

most, if not all, of the dish rec to Fta conversions are for illegal use.

Now...find me somone who can convert a dish 5000 rec for legit use and I'd be interested!

Oh yeah!!! Two of them.

The big reason is for the 5000 HD modulator. I'd love for a use for this in the FTA world (whether off a PC or using the 5000 rec.)

To be able to output any SD or HD Mpeg2 4.2.0 stream (have no idea if it could handle 4.2.2) to a 8vsb channel and added to the rest of the house, would be super sweet!!!

DISH 5000 - was that the one that had the Digital VHS deck in it? I had one - a JVC and it was sweet!

Can't remember the model # though :(

The 5000 at the time was the shiznit as it had the capability to do HD and had an OTA tuner in it (analog of course)

The problem with the Dish Network receivers for FTA is that they are hard-coded specifically for use with Dish Network's symbol rate (SR) of 20,000. They are DVB receivers, but are tailored to receive only their channels from their satellites. Even if they COULD be re-programmed to receive a wider range of DVB transponders and satellites, they would still be VERY basic receivers without blind scan, motor control or DiSEqC capability (well, the newer ones do have DiSEqC switching capability), and it would be far easier (and cheaper in the long run) to use something like a Mercury II or a Visionsat :)

The problem with the Dish Network receivers for FTA is that they are hard-coded specifically for use with Dish Network's symbol rate (SR) of 20,000. They are DVB receivers, but are tailored to receive only their channels from their satellites. Even if they COULD be re-programmed to receive a wider range of DVB transponders and satellites, they would still be VERY basic receivers without blind scan, motor control or DiSEqC capability (well, the newer ones do have DiSEqC switching capability), and it would be far easier (and cheaper in the long run) to use something like a Mercury II or a Visionsat :)

....except if you could get the 5000 HDmod to work with it. Granted, there would be no BS (who doesn't have a BS receiver these days :) ) and you may not be able to use any switches (slave off your BS rec), but you would be able to watch HD and SD. Plus, any ATSC OTA recorder (PC card, DVR, ETC) could record the feeds.

Plus, you could take a channel like the Outdoor Net HD and combine it to your OTA ant main feed. That way, every TV in your house can get your locals and the Outdoor net in HD on channel 3-1 or 4-1.

Using a old DN receiver is just another way to recycle equipment. its better to have the limited useage on other rec as you mentioned above, but it would have more use that just sitting in a box in the basement as it is now :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)