Can Dirt Active new account with used Vip722 receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lobotony

Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Texas
I am doing a self install and had someone give me a used Vip722. Can Dirt help me to build a new account and activate the receiver? I am using
a 1000.2 dish to pickup the western arc. It is installed and all I need is to get my receiver activated. Can Dirt help me with this?

yes they can help you. As long as the receiver doesnt have a balance on it you can activate it on a "pay as you go" account
You pay for the month up front and as long as you pay before the end of the bill cycle you'll be fine

example
You sign up today 1/11....Dish bills you from 1/11-2/10. You pay that and get going
about 10 days later you will get a bill for 2/11-3/10 that is due 2/10. Pay it and keep going. Dont pay it and get cut off on 2/11
repeat for each month

on the main forum page it lists who is online but right now I dont see any DIRT members online. I did flag the thread for them to check it out

In the meantime I know Mary usually works Fridays (she should be on soon) so you could send here a PM.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/private.php?do=newpm&u=162775

What I did when I set up my account was PM'd them and explained I wanted to set up a account with equipment I own and is set up and what did they need from me? They will let you know all the info they need (usually its name, address, phone, e-mail, package you want, etc). I had Mary call me so I could give her the CC info over the phone and I was up and running in like 15 minutes.

I wish Dish had better information on their website about their Pay-as-You-Go plan. Everything I search for there talks about the TailGater, but what I'm interested in would be a fixed EA dish for a summer family vacation home.

PAYG seems like the better answer to our situation than trying to add a TailGater to our home account so we could watch satellite TV during our vacation.

Is there a nice, concise FAQ page for the Pay-as-You-Go plan(s)?

I wish Dish had better information on their website about their Pay-as-You-Go plan. Everything I search for there talks about the TailGater, but what I'm interested in would be a fixed EA dish for a summer family vacation home.

PAYG seems like the better answer to our situation than trying to add a TailGater to our home account so we could watch satellite TV during our vacation.

Is there a nice, concise FAQ page for the Pay-as-You-Go plan(s)?

Hmmm, nice idea. I'll have to remember this option.

My plan is to use my ViP 722k (the one I won as part of the SatelliteGuys Christmas Party a couple of years ago :D) as the vacation home receiver after I get my household Hopperized.

Which begs another question: If I use the 722 in such a matter, what happens to the recordings on the internal hard drive after the service expires? Say I start up PAYG in June 2013, record a movie I like, and let the PAYG lapse a few months later in September; would the recording be viewable after I reactivated the PAYG in 2014?

My plan is to use my ViP 722k (the one I won as part of the SatelliteGuys Christmas Party a couple of years ago :D) as the vacation home receiver after I get my household Hopperized.

Which begs another question: If I use the 722 in such a matter, what happens to the recordings on the internal hard drive after the service expires? Say I start up PAYG in June 2013, record a movie I like, and let the PAYG lapse a few months later in September; would the recording be viewable after I reactivated the PAYG in 2014?

yes. Internal Hard drive stuff you can view even if the account is inactive. External you cant

If you Hopper-ize then they won't let you also have a VIP722 on the same account.

If you create a second account for the vacation home, then you cannot move those recordings to the main Hopper.

The TailGater (a 211) would seem ideal (only one account) although you would pay both for all for those months.

Note: the allowed 211 is not recording compatible with VIP nor Hopper.

Maybe you could Sling it with enough bandwidth.

-Ken

If you Hopper-ize then they won't let you also have a VIP722 on the same account.
That shouldn't be a problem as I don't intend to use the 722 at home.
If you create a second account for the vacation home, then you cannot move those recordings to the main Hopper.
I would empty out the internal drive before moving it to the vacation home. There it would be on its own, no content would be transferred between locations.
The TailGater (a 211) would seem ideal (only one account) although you would pay both for all for those months.

Note: the allowed 211 is not recording compatible with VIP nor Hopper.

Maybe you could Sling it with enough bandwidth.

-Ken
Due to the remote nature of the vacation home, satellite and OTA are the only two choices for Live TV viewing. That also means the Internet is limited to dial-up as cellular coverage is non-existent. Going to a satellite-based solution would work if there was a PAYG plan that allowed to pay for the 3 or 4 months it was needed. All the offerings I've seen are subscription-based with a one or two year minimum commitment.

Thanks for the answers, everyone. I'll let you know how it goes after the summer!

Last edited:
I would empty out the internal drive before moving it to the vacation home.

You don't need to do that! Ken was trying trying to explain that, once you set up a new account for your vacation home, you will no longer be able to move programs recorded on a Hopper to your existing 722, or vice versa. But... If you leave recordings on the internal drive on the 722, they should still be there on your new account.

BTW, what's a "PAYG account"? Seems to me that you can activate/deactivate an owned receiver at will. Or is there a charge that I didn't now about?

BTW, what's a "PAYG account"? Seems to me that you can activate/deactivate an owned receiver at will. Or is there a charge that I didn't now about?

It may have changed. I am a pay in advance customer, and when I let my service expire for 10 days because I was out of town, I restarted and they were only going to give me 20 days of service even though I paid for 30.

Had to get a little pissy with a couple of csr's to get a 10 day credit.

In the past I could start and stop as I pleased, but now I am not sure...

maybe a dirt member will chime in....

Last edited:

Pay As You Go

Basically if you own the equipment and set it up yourself you can set up an "activation only" (I think thats what DIRT calls is). I posted how it works in post 2 but for reiteration

You pay for the month up front and as long as you pay before the end of the bill cycle you'll be fine

example
You sign up today 1/11....Dish bills you from 1/11-2/10. You pay that and get going
about 10 days later you will get a bill for 2/11-3/10 that is due 2/10. Pay it and keep going. Dont pay it and get cut off on 2/11
repeat for each month

Thats what I did with a 211k.

Iceberg, there is no account activation charge to do this, right? What I'm trying to avoid is paying for an idle device.

The Krell, I did not know that. I thought the content was encrypted with the receiver's active account key. Cool!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts