Can dish be mounted to block wall?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Agreed, I never understand why anyone would allow a couple dollars stop them from making $100.

The only ones I am sketchy about is hollow cinder block.
Other then that, brick or poured block is as solid as they get.

However, I will still set a pole if I have a choice. (lot faster and just as good).

Guys,

You are missing the point because you are caight up in the technical side of the operation. The point is...why work for FREE?

HSPs and ASPs just disappear....report when you arrive for a route and the gate is locked by a landlord. Report when your check bounces. Compare your contract to what happens to your check each week. Employees do not eat charg backs...they can be fired but employers cannot touch wages without permission.

I know you want to do a good job but...I predict the day will come when you will not be paid for your efforts and....wait for it....DirecTV will NOT involve themselves in the transactions of their contractors. The lawyers you will eventually encounter will NOT sue any entity but the one you have a contractual relationship with.

There is a reason for high turn over in HSPs and a reason why DirecTV is getting into the O/O business. It is not the profit. The HSPs have finally become an embarrassment.

In my opinion...

Joe

I agree that there is a lot more we should be allowed to charge custom labor for.

However, block is not something we are allowed to charge for.

Actually at his point, there is no dish mounting we can charge for.
Just cable burial.

That being said, if all my materials except anchors were paid for, would I go buy lag anchors?
No

Your just lazy is what you areDave29 the best mount for a satellite would be on their house because wind does not affect a house as much as it affects the pole. Also it is much cleaner when it is mounted to the house would you rather have a pole sticking out that looks moronic or have it mounted to your house cleanly?

You dug up a 2 year old thread to post your approval ? :rolleyes:

Your just lazy is what you areDave29 the best mount for a satellite would be on their house because wind does not affect a house as much as it affects the pole. Also it is much cleaner when it is mounted to the house would you rather have a pole sticking out that looks moronic or have it mounted to your house cleanly?

I have have had only pole mounts for some time. I simply prefer them in case something goes wrong. Easier for me to trouble shoot. Both my Dish Network "superdish" and my Slimline have gone though Hurricanes Ivan and Katrina withough so much as a repeak on those poles. I think they are rock solid when done correctly. My parents have theirs mounted on the house, guess what, they had to be repeaked.

Not saying they didnt have a bad mount. I dont think so, but thats possible.
I guess id rather look moronic, but then again, I didnt dig up a two year old thread to make my point. ;)

On a ka/ku dish block wall mount, we are required to put 4 bolts (1 in each corner of the foot plate) and 2 bolts in each mono pole (support arm)

You can easily mount each foot plate bolt in a different brick, and with little to no effort can put the 2 bolts in ea monopole in different bricks.
In the very unlikely chance that one of those bricks works it way lose, it will not play havoc on the dish at all.
Also, you can pretty much tell if a brick wall is stable enough to hold the dish for the next several years. If not, you have no business doing this type of work.

On hollow cinder blocks, the material is very thin.
While yes, any installer worth his weight would try and mount as many lags in the solid part, a minimum of 2 of the 4 foot plate lags will be in the thin hollow part.
However, this will still most likely hold fine for years, it still make me a little nervous.
Done plenty of them, both brick and hollow cinder block.
They all hold fine, but I guarantee the brick will hold stronger for longer.

BTW, I am well aware that many cinder block walls are poured (usually every other block).
They do this because the block is weak and this makes the wall stronger (as hollow cinder blocks are fairly weak).
Unfortunately there is no way to tell if the blocks are poured or not or which ones are poured until you drill in them.

If concrete block was as weak as you seem to think it is, do you really think they would make foundations out of them?

If concrete block was as weak as you seem to think it is, do you really think they would make foundations out of them?

Foundations are usually poured (at least in the parts)
Walls are not always.

Also, a house is not pulling on the side, where it is thin, it is pushing down.
Would you lay concrete blocks on the side to create a foundation?
Didn't think so.

You are also making it sound like I am acting like they are the weakest thing in the world where I have said that I have mounted in them, it is just not my first choice as I think there are better choices for mounting and will look for them.

What about those new heavy-duty toggle bolts (Togglers)? They include them with handicap grab bars and TV wall mounts, and they rate them for 1,400 lbs each when used with a 5/16" bolt in concrete block (I wouldn't use them in old cinderblock though). I wouldn't expect an installer to provide them because they're expensive compared to other anchors, but if the sub were to have them onhand, would you be confident in them?

I have used them and they work well.

You need a roto hammer or similar to drill the block. The GALVANIZED toggle bolt sets were $6.00 each. The one time I used them I also drilled the wall to run the cable on the inside of the structure. You also have to caulk the holes around the bolts. You have to locate everything so you are drilling into the hollow portion of several blocks and monopoles are a good idea. Plan two hours if you have to work from a ladder.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)