Can DVR recordings disappear?

billybgame

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Saginaw, MI
I was chagrined to find out a few things I had DVR'd were gone. Now, granted I do have a 6 year old who's learned the art of DVRing, but, I have my doubts he went through all the steps to purposely, or accidentally, delete my recordings.

So, is it possible for things to disappear? And, how and why?

I guess I should have added more info. I know that, coming from Comcast's smallish DVR. We are nowhere near filling up the Dish DVR.

Both me and my son have things we DVR'd, that we have no clue where they went.

It's a 722. I really have no clue "when" shows disappeared. I just watch shows when I feel like it, lately. I just know that I didn't see the last two Mad Men episodes last season, and was going to watch them, before this season, and poof, they were gone.

I have a 501 and the same thing happens to me sometimes. There seems to be no pattern to it. I never run out of space, older and newer recordings disappear. I have never been able to figure out what is wrong. I also have a 510 that I have never had any problem with. I'm guessing it must be something wrong with the software perhaps?

I had a 510 that started losing recordings after the Name Based Recording software rollout. It eventually had to be replaced. The 510 that Dish sent in replacement has not lost one yet.

Hmmm....

I was wondering, (and I think I even posted about it once here), about my 722 freezing up and becoming quite loud, for a few minutes. This happened a few times, but I have not been there for it when it happened in a long time, so I forgot about it.

Makes me wonder if the 722 is defective, I guess.

And don't forget, VOD recordings have a limited time before they disappear. I think within 24 hours after you start watching, but maybe also after some set period of time.

And don't forget, VOD recordings have a limited time before they disappear. I think within 24 hours after you start watching, but maybe also after some set period of time.

Never do that. Well, at least since going to Dish. Or, PPV. Not sure if they started that yet with PPV, but both are irrelevant to me. I did love On Demand on Comcast. You could DVR great shows like Mad Men on HD, and keep them until the cows came home. But, with VOD the way it is with Dish, it's useless.