Can Hopper 1 Be Used To Play External HD DISH Movies In RVs ?

dangerousdave

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
My friend wants to use a Hopper 1 in his RV to play the DISH movies he has recorded on his Hopper 3 at home. Can that be done? Would a DISH Wally be better? He does NOT need DISH TV reception in his RV as he just wants to watch his already recorded movies. He's a senior and does not know how to post here so I'm helping him out. Thanks, Dave

My friend wants to use a Hopper 1 in his RV to play the DISH movies he has recorded on his Hopper 3 at home. Can that be done? Would a DISH Wally be better? He does NOT need DISH TV reception in his RV as he just wants to watch his already recorded movies. He's a senior and does not know how to post here so I'm helping him out. Thanks, Dave
"a Hopper 1" might be a problem. Is that Hopper on his account? If he has a Hopper 3, I'm guessing it's not. The Wally can't playback recordings from a Hopper. I think the only option is to use the same Hopper the recordings were made on.

Reactions: pattykay
You might have to help him learn how to use Dish Anywhere, if he has a high-speed internet connection at home and in the RV. That seems like the best solution in this case. Otherwise, he could bring the Hopper 3 with him, and recordings on the internal drive should play just fine, even without a satellite signal.

"a Hopper 1" might be a problem. Is that Hopper on his account? If he has a Hopper 3, I'm guessing it's not. The Wally can't playback recordings from a Hopper. I think the only option is to use the same Hopper the recordings were made on.
The Hopper 1 was bought not leased so he owns it and it's no longer on his account however, it was on his account prior to the Hopper 3 lease. He doesn't want to playback movies from another Hopper. He wants to playback movies using his Hopper 1 from his external HD that has movies recorded using his Hopper 3.

You might have to help him learn how to use Dish Anywhere, if he has a high-speed internet connection at home and in the RV. That seems like the best solution in this case. Otherwise, he could bring the Hopper 3 with him, and recordings on the internal drive should play just fine, even without a satellite signal.
He doesn't want to use Dish Anywhere to view his movies on a small computer or mobile device. He doesn't have internet on the RV, high or low speed. He wants to watch his external HD movies on his larger screen in the RV. He doesn't want to bring his home Hopper 3 on his RV trips.

No, he would have to have the Hopper 1 currently on his account (that will likely be a problem with Dish). If it was on his account then it should work. I have recordings made on a H1 that play on my H3

He doesn't want to use Dish Anywhere to view his movies on a small computer or mobile device. He doesn't have internet on the RV, high or low speed. He wants to watch his external HD movies on his larger screen in the RV. He doesn't want to bring his home Hopper 3 on his RV trips.
I fully understand, and I agree with navychop. This is exactly what the HopperGO is for.

It is a given the H1 must be active on his account, even if only briefly.

But with his existing H3, he isn't gonna get that H1 activated on the same account.
Technically, it could be done, but he would have to deactivate the H3 every time he wanted to use the H1, and then reverse that when he gets home. In this scenario, the H1 would still need a satellite signal, at least long enough to get activated and authorized.

Technically, it could be done, but he would have to deactivate the H3 every time he wanted to use the H1, and then reverse that when he gets home. In this scenario, the H1 would still need a satellite signal, at least long enough to get activated and authorized.
or he could simply bring the H3 with him on the road and forget the H1 entirely...

Reactions: Jackonearth
Looking at this thread in its entirety, I notice that the OPs friend wants to use his EHD attached to his active Hopper 3 on his inactive Hopper 1. I don't think that will work as has been explained here. The EHD is attached to an active account, the Hopper 3 is part of that active account. If you plug the EHD into the inactive Hopper 1, at best, the Hopper 1 will want to format that EHD erasing any programming on it. I am thinking that the Hopper 1 would have to activated to even get the EHD to be recognized. That is not going to happen with an H3 on the account already. So, as has been mentioned, a Hopper Go is the best way to accomplish what they are trying to do.