Can HR20-1oo do Caller ID thru Ethernet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChrisK114

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 17, 2005
Mount Pleasant,SC
I was wondering if my HD-DVR can do caller ID thru the ethernet port. I only have one phone jack near my receiver, and I have it networked. The only thing is that I don't have a way to run a phone line to thed phone jack on the receiver. If not, does anyone have an idea how I can get this to work besides a wireless adapter? Is there a splitter I can get it to work? I have Comcast HSI and digital phone. Thanks.

Caller ID is a phone line function. A normal phone line can be easily split for use wherever needed. I suspect the digital phone line can too!

I have Vonage, so we are similar in that we both have VoIP phone service. With Vonage, we have a Telephone Adapter so that "normal" phones can plug into the VoIP and send/receive calls (I would assume that Comcast Digital Voice is the same concept). That TA has multiple jacks on it, like a router, but each jack is designed to be an independent line. So we can't just plug a phone line from the extra ports on the TA to the DVR. Instead we use a $1.98 splitter from WallyWorld and my CID works just fine.

So a phone line and a ethernet line can be split? I was told that you can't split a regular phone line and a cat 5 cable. They said there was no such splitter.

If you have a TA that is part of the Comcast Digital Voice setup, then it should have a "Line Out" port that you plug the house line into. If so, then you simply add a splitter to that line so you have one line for the house phone and one for the DVR.

Or am I missing the jist of your situation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.