can I access the dvr on a 510 receiver, long unused?

ackbar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
central US
We have an older 510 receiver that's been sitting around doing nothing since we upgraded a couple of years ago.

I would like to be able to access the stuff that was recorded on the dvr on the 510, but I'm having no luck.

None of the remotes that came with it are still around, the oldest we have is a model 21.1.

How can I get access to the dvr on this receiver?

We still have the same Dish account we had then but we now have a 722 receiver.

When I turn on the receiver it keeps trying to connect to the satellite dish.

I can get the main menu, but not sys info.

Use the cursor keys on front. Menu > system setup > installation > sys info

Otherwise start at 1 and keep changing the remote address on the remote until it works. It only goes 1-16 on the remote address.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

Pull the smart card out about an inch and system info should come up in about 30 sec., as long as it dosen't have an onboard smart card.

I've got the info screen but it just immediately runs a test and says 'Error! See details' and it won't change the remote address.

Just manually change the address on the remote until you hit the one that matches the receiver. Like I said there are only a few

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thought of that. It would be a major hitch because of the way we pulled all the cables and recombobulated the house after we got the 722.

you need a connection from the satellite dish to probably make it work

I could be wrong, but I don't think it needs to see any sats. I know there are some minor differences between the 508 and 510 but I can still access everything on the 508 I deactivated several months ago. Menu > Dish on Demand > My Recordings from the menu if you don't have the remote to get to the dvr storage.

If you can see what the remote address is on the sys info screen before it goes searching for signal, then hold the sat button down on the remote until it blinks then push the number for the remote address, then pound sign and then the record button to set the remote address.
Sorry I'm out of suggestions otherwise.

yea, you do NOT need a sat connection, just plug in and let it try to acquire the sat signal for at least a minute, then you should be able to access the menu to see remote address and access your recordings. if you try to access menu or recordings sooner it will give you a error....GL

Success!

Now why on Earth did I record all this junk?

One problem though. The Up arrow won't work. So I can go through the recordings with the Down arrow but once it gets to the bottom it's stuck there. If I change it with Sort by Date or Sort by Name it goes back to the top but still the highlight will only travel in one direction.

But I can still manage, though it's cumbersome. Would still like to get a remote working.

I was also thinking that if I couldn't get it to work I could take the hard drive out, stick it in the computer, reformat it and use it for backup.

Is this a standard hard drive or is there some idiosyncrasy that prevents trying to do that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)