Can I activate this used receiver with Dish? (re: S00 number is all zeros?)

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I've purchased a used VIP211 receiver, but before purchasing it I made sure to call Dish and make sure it had a zero balance and that I could activate it on my account. They said everything looked fine and if I purchased it then I could activate it.

When I first plugged it in, it showed the following information:

Model: VIP211-SD
Software: L525
Receiver: R00 8140 XXXX-XX
Smart Card: S19 0593 XXXX-XX

I didn't call Dish but instead plugged in the satellite and let it sit overnight.

This morning it shows the following:

Model: VIP211-SD
Software: L566
Receiver: R00 8140 XXXX-XX
Smart Card: S00 0000 0000-00

...and the error:

"Smart Card Invalid. (124) The smart card is not authorized for this receiver."

There is no smart card in the receiver (i.e. it's card slot is empty) but was told this model had an internal smart card.

Will I be able to activate this receiver with Dish? I'm going to contact them but sometimes their CSRs give wrong information so I wanted to check here first.

Thanks for any help!

ZachS of the Dish Internet Response Team is online right now. Recommend PM to him with the full receiver info and see if he can figure this out.

Hmmm... could it be an internal smart card? It's strange the the smartcard number went from a valid number to all zeros after the nightly update.

I've contacted Dish through live chat and they said I needed to order a replacement card ($50 + $20 overnight shipping) which is a bit pricey.

I've also PMed ZachS so hopefully I can get this resolved easier/cheaper, heh. (it would be great if it does have an internal smartcard and all it needs is an update!)

I use to have dish and I had a VIP 211 not the k just VIP 211 and they did update the smart card. The internal one don't work anymore u have to have the new purple card. Hopefully a dirt member can get you one for little or nothing cause I agree 70.00 is kinda pricey. Heck for that u might as well order a new receiver from solid signal or dish depot for a little more money.

Ahhh - OK. That makes sense... Dish updated their smartcards a couple of years ago, right? It would make sense that the internal smartcard is no longer compatible (i.e. it can't be updated to the new "purple card" format).

One of the DIRT members is helping me now though... but thanks for all of the help everybody!

S19 IS the new "purple card" format! Going to all zeros overnight makes no sense to moi.

Just replaced a 501 with a 211 last week and it has the purple card in the slot.Maybe they are required for the 211's now?

Paying for a smartcard is just wrong. That's a cost of Dish doing business, not a direct customer expense.

Paying for a smartcard is just wrong. That's a cost of Dish doing business, not a direct customer expense.

that is when you need to hit up a phone csr, chat csr, and a dirt member. one of them will send it out for free. before dirt was available, a chat rep said it would be $75+ shipping and there was nothing that could be done. after calling, we got one sent to us UPS 2nd day air for free.

gpflepsen said:

In this case I agree, reciever bought with out all functioning equipment, dish makes it right to get your subscription.

But in a case where say customers kid pulls out the card and feeds it to Fido as a treat, I think the customer should pay to replace the card.

In this case I agree, reciever bought with out all functioning equipment, dish makes it right to get your subscription.

But in a case where say customers kid pulls out the card and feeds it to Fido as a treat, I think the customer should pay to replace the card.

I believe the receiver may have been bought from a third party. That person should pay since he/she didn't keep the receiver up to date.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)