can I cancel genie service and still have interactive features?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
I am in a 2 year contract. I am thinking about dropping down to a lower package and getting rid of the genie as I'm not saving any money. Will this void my contract and what receivers can do interactive features?

Your contract is for two years for programming, not hardware, so getting rid of the Genie doesn't affect that. IIRC, you can't go to the lowest programming, but you can drop down. All of the H/HR series are interactive.

Could well be, although they may exchange the Genie for an HR2x model. The only way to tell is to call and ask.

The monthly cost of the Genie is no different than the cost of a HD-DVR (for customers in the past year or so it is $25/mo for advanced receiver fee).

If you go to just HD *OR* DVR (SD) you can cut that $25 to $10/mo. To eliminate it you would have to go to just a basic SD receiver without DVR.

They will have the ship the Genie back and ship you the replacement receiver of your choice. They may even charge up to $99 if you want HD only or SD-DVR only, or up to $49 for a basic SD receiver.

I would recommend calling the cancellation department and tell them what is going on - it is too expensive, they may be able to credit some fees and let you keep the Genie.

Call and threaten to cancel, that will usually get you a discount on that ignorant fee. Paying $25/month for a receiver is unacceptable. Will certainly never pay it and I have DVR and HD. Be sure to mention that HD is free on Dish Network. Works everytime.

the receiver fee is not really 25
the 25 is hd + dvr + whole home + receiver + ect
they used to have them broken out, but lumped them together a few years ago

If you go to just HD *OR* DVR (SD) you can cut that $25 to $10/mo.

Jason, not to question you, but are you sure this is true? I seem to recall that when D* went to the $25 Advanced Receiver Fee for all new subs a couple years ago, that fee actually encompasses any/all HD &/or DVR receivers. (IOW, regardless if you have an SD DVR, HD (non-DVR) receiver, HD-DVR or any variation of WHD service, they charge $25 regardless)

Also, since the OP lives in an MPEG4 market, he'll would still have to have an HD receiver; D* would just deauthorize the HD channels, & lock the box down to 480.

It might very well be that unless the OP can get D* to a $10 discount (a la the "HD access fee") he's probably going to have to downgrade all the way to SD service.

Be sure to mention that HD is free on Dish Network. Works everytime.

Uh, NOT for ANY new (HD) subs since the middle of Jan... ;)

http://www.satelliteguys.com/threads/326049-Retailer-Chat-Recap-12-12-13?p=3326084#post3326084

Last edited:
Jason, not to question you, but are you sure this is true? I seem to recall that when D* went to the $25 Advanced Receiver Fee for all new subs a couple years ago, that fee actually encompasses any/all HD &/or DVR receivers. (IOW, regardless if you have an SD DVR, HD (non-DVR) receiver, HD-DVR or any variation of WHD service, they charge $25 regardless)

Also, since the OP lives in an MPEG4 market, he'll would still have to have an HD receiver; D* would just deauthorize the HD channels, & lock the box down to 480.

It might very well be that unless the OP can get D* to a $10 discount (a la the "HD access fee") he's probably going to have to downgrade all the way to SD service.

Uh, NOT for ANY new (HD) subs since the middle of Jan... ;)

http://www.satelliteguys.com/threads/326049-Retailer-Chat-Recap-12-12-13?p=3326084#post3326084

Well, then mention Time Warner has free HD.... You get my point.

Well, then mention Time Warner has free HD.... You get my point.

Not really...since the OP lives in a Comcast area...which DOES specifically charge for HD - you get MY point???
(just in case u don't...I assure you that D* is VERY well aware of any local "competition" to their service...)

And before you suggest this...no, there is NO FiOS or U-verse in his area (either)...

I already talked to directv and they say they can't help me. Might just eat the etc and cancel. Can't afford $100+ a month for just tv. Can get all 3 for $160 on Comcast. Thought directv would be cheaper guess not.

I'm sure on the HD non-dvr portion. If you go to directv.com without any cookies and setup a new subscription with just a HD receiver it shows a $10 fee (and a credit for the first year or so). If you select a HD-DVR or Genie you get the $25 fee with a $10 credit for a year.

The page doesn't offer SD-DVR anymore, so I have no idea if they will offer $10 for a SD-DVR only customer anymore.

The page doesn't offer SD-DVR anymore, so I have no idea if they will offer $10 for a SD-DVR only customer anymore.

Well I just tried it, & actually there is a (small) link that asks you if you want SD options. When I tried it with an SD-DVR only, it (also) did offer it for a $10 "advanced receiver fee".

But either way, that's interesting...as I remember (reading in multiple places) that for all new subs, D* was (arbitrarily) hitting any new HD &/or DVR subs with the flat $25 "advanced receiver fee" regardless...maybe they discovered that just wasn't going to work on (new) cost-conscious subs...

Not really...since the OP lives in a Comcast area...which DOES specifically charge for HD - you get MY point???
(just in case u don't...I assure you that D* is VERY well aware of any local "competition" to their service...)

And before you suggest this...no, there is NO FiOS or U-verse in his area (either)...

Why do people just accept the ignorant fee? It's outrageous and completely ridiculous to pay $25/month for any receiver. If it had a hand that came out and massaged my shoulders, I would consider $20. HD is free OTA. HD should be free on satellite and cable.

Unfortunately tv providers pay retransmission fees for local channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)