can I cancel, switch to wifes name to get promo?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

onebadmofo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Arizona
Hey fellas

Longtime DTV customer. Been with em for almost 9 years now. NFL Ticket every year as well.

My question is pretty simple. My buddy told me I could cancel, wait one day, sign up online under my wifes name (under my name currently) and get the "referral" from him, and get the pretty sweet promo they got going on (premier for 89.99 month)

Now, that said, my bill is about 120 bucks a month right now with 4 HD receivers, all the movie channels, the HD Pack, and I get a bunch of monthly credits to get my bill down to the 120-130 range. So my other question is, right now, when I call in they take pretty good care of me since I've been around a while.

Will that change? And is it worth the hassle to do? Currently have the 3 HR24's and one HR23, and no "whole home DVR" and am curious to know what you fellas think?

Was considering Dish, but the CSR so blatantly ripped DTV after I told her I was with them for 9 plus years, I lost all interest in doing any deal with them.

Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

And yes, I know it's a bit "shady" but if it saves me a few bucks, and gets me the NFL Ticket for free, it MIGHT be worth doing....right?

Plus I'm hoping I can get a HR34 as well in the deal...

You might be able to do this but DTV might also catch you and the fraud department might cancel you all together. If you sign up right away afterwards, it's going to be pretty clear what you're doing.

I would suggest just calling them and see what they can do. They may not be able to do exactly what the new customers get, but I imagine they'll be able to do something.

Yes you can as far as I know. I know people that have done it but not that quickly after quitting.

Yes you can as far as I know. I know people that have done it but not that quickly after quitting.

Well I guess maybe I'll wait a week or 2 then to be safe. That or I could say screw it and go to Dish.

I just think it's BS I gotta pay 199 for NFL Network and extra on my monthly bill. I called them a few weeks back and said give me that deal, and I'll gladly renew for 2 more years....they wouldn't budge even with my 9 years of service. I'm starting to think a guys better off just switching back and forth every 2 years at this point....

You might be able to do this but DTV might also catch you and the fraud department might cancel you all together. If you sign up right away afterwards, it's going to be pretty clear what you're doing.

Who and where does it say it may be a fraud?

And yes, I know it's a bit "shady" but if it saves me a few bucks, and gets me the NFL Ticket for free, it MIGHT be worth doing....right?

Plus I'm hoping I can get a HR34 as well in the deal...

nothing wrong with NOT doing the right thing huh? it is fraud; regardless of how minor.

I have to assume that sometimes people split up, and the person who moves out was also the person whose name is on the DirecTV account. If the dish and equipment remains behind, and the person who remains in the home wants DirecTV service, what do they do, other than to call up and sign up as a new customer?

I do not necessarily see anything that could be considered fraud here. Not much difference than closing the account and going to Dish for the promos.

Unless it is stated by Directv that this is not allowed, then I do not see the issue.

It's only fraud if their is some sort of misrepresentation. If the questions asked or the verbage in the agreement is broad enough to cover the prior install and it is not revealed then it is fraud. If he closes the account, then she sets up a new install, doesn't lie, doesn't misrepresent, and doesn't sign anything about their being no prior family/household/etc installs, then it is legit.

I would tend to think there would be verbage to catch this. If the verbage isn't there it was intentionally left out or D* is incredibly dense.

It's really no different then my wife and I standing in line to each claim a "one coupon per customer" offer - we are two separate customers. If the coupon says "one coupon per household" we are committing fraud, however minor it may be.

both of you stated legit scenarios vs what the OP said he was going to do. people can rationalize lying, cheating, stealing, being fraudulent all they want; they know right from wrong and want to look the other way until THEY are the ones on the other side or getting the short end.

I guess my issue is I've given them about 15k of my money over those 9 years. I've also referred several people as well. I tried to get them to give me the "new customer deal" and told them I'm willing to even sign a new 2 year deal(im month to month right now) and they shot it down immediately...

Advantages to cancelling starting over

1. Ill save some $$$ the first 12 months.

2. Free Sunday Ticket instead of 199.

3. New Equipment and whole home DVR finally

4. Possible to upgrade to HR34 for reasonable amount if chosen

5. Fresh install done properly. One of my current DVR's doesnt have the adapter to record 2 shows at once.

So rather than talk to DTV, and have them fix the issue, you are going to commit fraud.

Rationalize/justify it anyway you want, fraud is fraud.

fraud, fraud, fraud......

blah, blah, blah......

this is what the providers(cable/sat) have created, and people do it EVERY DAY, either by switching providers constantly, or by doing what the OP is suggesting.

it's a fact of life.

So rather than talk to DTV, and have them fix the issue, you are going to commit fraud.

Rationalize/justify it anyway you want, fraud is fraud.

Show me something in writing it's fraud.

Second, I think it's "Fraud" on their part, a 9 year customer who's spent a fair amount of $$$ to ask them to "give me the new customer deal, and renew my 2 year contract"....what's wrong with them doing that for me???

Bottom line is I'm going to either switch, or do the cancellation and put it in the wifes name.

Which do you think DTV prefers???

Before I worked for Directv I tried this. I canceled and the ex-wife signed up. Less then 24 hours of ordering she was contacted by the fraud department, the credit card number, phone number, and house number all matched. They pretty much said that either we prove we was divorced and I moved out, I died, or we separated and I have moved out or we pay full price for all equipment and pay an X amount (can't remember) for the installation or wait 24 months and try again. They said it was fraud, DIRECTV said this was FRAUD. I'm not saying not to try it but expect the worse. I'm sure they can give you the proper documentation you're wanting to prove its fraud if you ask them or if they catch you trying it.

people steal, murder and other illegal and morally suspect crap each and everyday too; doing it and getting away with crap NEVER makes it right; rationalize it in your head to make yourself feel better if you want; it still is WRONG. when it ends up being YOUR money, family, property you will change your tune. PLEASE SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS and I will show you just how quick you will change your mind..

If you or any other sub doesn't like the service, deals, or anything else, just call them and discuss YOUR situation within the rules; you don't like the outcome, pack it up and and leave. You ever steal or cheat me or my company I would send you down as hard as legally possible and plant your name and info on a blacklist.

Lost morals and common sense are 2 of the MAJOR failures currently running rampant in this country and ruining it; slowly becoming a bunch of lazy, whiny little ignorant cheats and liars that want everything handed to them for free.

You want to back SAT hacking too?

Read it while its still posted; cause it won't last long even though its the total truth! It should stay because its NOT a personal attack or warzone message; just posting some real pointed answers directly to the question asked.

Last edited:
It has been asked if anyone can show that this is fraud and I'll asking anyone can show that it's against any written directv policy a well. If it is, do not do it as it is wrong. I think we can all agree there. I have yet to see anyone show actual backed up info though.

If not, I again see NO difference between this and canceling and swapping to dish for the new customer promo absent that information.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)