Can I combine 322 & 522 tv-2 outputs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WakeBdr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Cumming, GA
I have a 522 and a 322 in my setup. I was wondering if I could combine the tv2 signals from both of the receivers and see them on one tv? I ask this because I would like to combine these outputs, a DVD player output, and a video camera output so they are all viewable on one tv...basically make my own cable system. Is this possible?

With the right TV, sure. My RPTV has at least 5 different inputs.

There's lots of variables, but focusing on "my own cable system", at least 3 of the 4 RF outputs you've got can be jammed onto a single RG-59 - that's maybe already in the walls of your house. ;)

I say 3 instead of all 4 because the 2 TV1 outputs are "too close" together (channels 3 & 4) and can interfere with each other. You can space the 2 TV2 outptus a bit farther apart.

I'm not quite sure which direction you were really going - multiple inputs to one TV, or multiple channels distributed ("cable" system). But either way, the above information might help you out.

I'm really trying to get multiple channels distributed (like a cable system). Would something as simple as a splitter/combiner work? Run the two RF modulated outputs (tv2 outputs) into the combiner and then run the output of the combiner to the tv.

My main goal is to have all of my signals (DVD, satellite, video camera, etc.) available on each tv in my house. I'm just trying to get some background information on how to do this.

Oh yeah, all my cabling is RG-6 and I've got another thread about the video camera project here.

You should have no problem combining the outputs, a regular splitter should work. You should have no problems combining channel 3, and 2 other modulated signals together for a total of 3 channels.

A SuperHome Node should also work good also, just hook the output from the 2nd receiver to the OTA imput...
http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=138

OK, good to know that part will not be too difficult. Now comes the other issue: getting it to the tv's. Can I put this new signal and the satellite signal through a diplexor and then diplex them back out at the receiver like below (assume diplexors are present)?
Code:
SATELLITE SIGNAL ----   ---- SAT IN ON RECEIVER
                     ---
INHOUSECHANNELS  ----   ---- ANT IN ON RECEIVER

That looks right. "inhousechannels" can be ANY signal in the OTA (VHF/UHF) band.

The trick is taking said receiver's RF output and putting it on that same cable. Add a splitter near the Antenna In of the receiver.
Code:
LNBF --- diplexer ---//--- diplexer -------- Sat In
InHouse ---'               '--- splitter --- Ant In
                                     '------ RF Out

Will a splitter that doesn't specify itself as being a splitter/combiner still combine the signal? Or, do I need to get a splitter that is labelled as a splitter/combiner?

How are you going to control these sources ?

BTW, I don't know if it helps, but I have a surveillance camera RF output fed into the antenna input of my 522 . When TV1 is off, I see the camera feed . So basically, I am able to send 2 sources on channel 3 .

WakeBdr said:
Will a splitter that doesn't specify itself as being a splitter/combiner still combine the signal? Or, do I need to get a splitter that is labelled as a splitter/combiner?
You're safest with the combiner - but there's so many variants, ya never know what might work. They're cheap - go for convienence first. ;)

I hooked this up last night and it worked perfectly. One output was channel 73 and the other was 83. I could watch either one I wanted on the tv I hooked them to. Thanks so much for all the information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)